Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got Jury Duty

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    I see Senga's point. The staff are generally nice, but you're essentially locked in a building, you're herded around like school kids, and you can only eat at designated times.
    And how much different is that from many jobs?

Touché.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

John, Well John I wish have you experiences. Its obviously based on the city you do it in. You sound like you are one of those that enjoy the process. That in itself would give you a appreciation for being called up. My parents are the type that LOVE Jury duty as well. They used to put in a request for it frequently....and would always complain when I would get it and they woudln't. Having to wait for a phone call? I can see why the process didn't bother you :)

John your impresison of hours court and government system, is vastly different than mine. For me I try to stay away from it as much as possible. Everytime I check the mail I hope I don't get a letter from the office of ***** . Or any governemt mail. But that is a topic all in its self so I won't go there.

For me its has been in Chicago in the "DAYLEY CENTER" YOU DON"T want jury duty ANYWHERE in Cook County. I also had to do it in Selma Alabama and one time for Tuckahoe, NY- luckily the Tuckahoe one didn't materialize into me haivng to go anywhere.

Thats a good way to put it Gotham,
    You are hearded around..and expected to do what they say without any question or you run into problem. Some of the ones I have been in the Judge wont even allow gum. You can't ware what you want. You can't even go to the bathroom when you want. I am forced to "Rise" for someone who I have never met? Who is part of a system what I don't not agree with? But I do so out of fear.

I remember sitting there one time and they lady was like "I can't do jury duty, its when my final nurses examinations test are and I really have to be there for this. The judge was like well you can reschedual that. Request Denied. Its like all those people in there have those cushy gvmt jobs for life from the cleark to the Judge and they all know each other and ar all nice to each there and treat anyone on the other side of the counter like you are worse than the criminals you will be judging. You are just a body to them and frankly I don't appreciate being forced into a system than doesn't respect my chocie to say NO.

My parents are the type that LOVE Jury duty. They used to put in a request for it frequently....and would always complain when I would get it and she woudln't.

The court system a negative, imperonsal place to be. You you are there because of evil, corrupt or other negative reasons.
    Sex crimes,
    Muder, Robbery, Political scandals, Hate crimes, Theft
    etc etc etc etc.
    Nothing that I want to be a part of.

At least with most jobs if you don't want to show you get just get fired :)
    Unlike Jury Duty :)
    Senga

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    If you're called for jury duty in a place where you don't live, you just check the box on the initial questionnaire that says "I don't live in xxx county," or something like that.

I was called last year for the first time in the 6-ish years since I was able to register to vote. I took a deferment for the original date, and was rescheduled for a few months later. I had a very high number, survived 5 days of telephone standby, and, due to the rules of the jursidiction (Mercer County, NJ), I won't be called for 3 years from the time of my last jury duty notice. I'd like to serve on a jury eventually, but, for a whole host of reasons, now isn't all that convenient.

Thats an Idea and will see wat I can do. I don't know how the system here in FL works....hopfully I'll be outta here before they get to me :)

That three year rule is pretty nice to have

Senga

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    Thats an Idea and will see wat I can do. I don't know how the system here in FL works....hopfully I'll be outta here before they get to me :)

That three year rule is pretty nice to have

Senga
    If you still have a NYS driver license, voter registration, etc, I don't see how they will call you for jury duty in FL. When I spent 1 1/2 years working in Allentown, PA I kept all my NY stuff, and wasn't called by PA. In the past 25 years, I think I've been called 4 or 5 times.

BTW, in New York, after you get called (even if it's only telephone standby) you are excused for 4 years.

That giver me even less to worry about then. In NY I wou'd thinik I'd only be called in the area that I live (Tuckahoe, NY) is this true?

Senga

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    That giver me even less to worry about then. In NY I wou'd thinik I'd only be called in the area that I live (Tuckahoe, NY) is this true?
    Yes - well for the most part. I live in Syosset, and I've had to report to the state supremem court in Mineola where the courts are located in Nassau County. People in Suffolk end up at Yaphank or Riverhead, I think. You normally serve in the county you live in. If I remember correctly, when I was in Allentown, I got a juror questionaire from NY - I noted that I was temporarily working out of state and I wasn't called for another 3 or 4 years (last summer as I mentioned above.)

The main exception to this is if you are called as a juror in federal court. Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Nassau and Suffolk are in the Eastern District of NY, and could be called to the federal courthouse in either Brooklyn or Central Islip. Tuckahoe is in Westchester, right? That's in the Southern District, those courts are in Manhattan, White Plains and Middletown. I think I only know one or two people personally who were ever called for a federal jury.

Served only 1 day--was interviewed for a criminal case--DUI and weapons charge--was excused because of my laundry list of victims of crime in my family and belief that criminal justice system has failed in each instance.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Intresting to note. I guess it helps that I work for an airline up here if I do get called back to Sarasota which is the residence I list as primary.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"