Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got Jury Duty

I got Jury Duty

It's my first time (Kings County Supreme Court). March 5th.

What should I expect?

edit: March 5th is the day I need to report to the courthouse. I need to call the night before.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Expect to get sentenced to 5-10 years.

Kidding. I actually got a Jury duty summons as well, and I have to start calling on Friday.

Is March 5th the time you have to call or the time you have to show up?

I did Jury Duty once before when I was 18. Like, right after my 18th birthday I got the summons. I sat in a big room and waited for a number that I was assigned ot be called. I went into a courtroom and was asked questions by the DA and the defense attorney to see if I qualified to be on their jury.

If they don't like you, you get sent back down to the waiting room to wait to be called ot be interviewed for another case. If you don't get picked for any trial after a week (meaning you have to show up every day and wait...so bring LOTS of reading material), then you get sent home.

If they DO pick you, you go into another room to wait until they have a complete jury. Once that happens, then the trial starts. Pretty straight forward. You watch and get sent back and forth to the room until it's over, which is when you cast your verdict to the jury foreman.

Just don't try to get out of it by saying you're racist. I hear they've been fining people for contempt for that stuff.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

It's definitely an good experience if you're interested in the legal system. I did it about five years ago in Queens Civil Court in Jamaica. I started on a Wednesday, got picked for a "forum" from which they selected 6 jurors for a small case, I didn't get picked, went back to the big waiting area, where "Titanic" and "Private Benjamin" were shown on big screens. All day Thursday didn't get picked for anything. Friday morning I get picked for a forum for a wrongful death suit filed by a dead guy's family against two hospitals and five doctors...big enough to require us moving to the Supreme Court building across the street, and undoubtedly would have lasted at least a couple of weeks. I had a trip to Florida booked for the following Monday, so I had my fingers crossed that I wouldn't get picked. After about 4 hours of questioning us potential jurors, around 3pm Friday they were like "well, it's getting late and we don't like to keep this hanging over the weekend, you guys are all dismissed from service and we're going to pick from the fresh pool of jurors coming in on Monday." So I got to learn about the innards of our justice system, and I got to go to Florida. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

For my case, I was picked for a stabbing trial. The first witness was the victim, and when the DA asked him if the man who stabbed him was in the courtroom, and the witness said no.

The DA looked shocked, and asked the judge for a recess. We were snet back into our room and after about 30 minutes, were called back in. We were told that the trial was over, and that it turned out the defendent took a plea. Also, the witness denied that the defendent stabbed him becuase the defendent's brother threatened his family if he testified against him.

So, the defendent went to jail for the stabbing and his brother got federal charges for tampering with a witness.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Gotham-

What would have happened if you had to cancel your trip? Are you refunded by the airline? Like is the Airline required to refund you if you cancel for a gov't or law purpose, maybe with proof? Or do the gov't help or are you SOL and you just cancel and hope your not charged a big fine?

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

I recently got the questionnaire and I haven't been called in more then seven years so I'm expecting the letter in the mail any day now. I served on a trial before, i really enjoyed it. First it got me out of work, we got out everyday at 11 and it was the spring, I had an entire week of half days in great weather, then we found the bastard guilty, LOLOL He's still rotting in Riverhead prison.

So my question about this all is this. I am registered in Florida as my mailing address, drivers liscence, etc etc etc.... living in NY though and the only information that would place me here is that my paychecks address is for my NY house so would I serve if it was so requested down there or up here?
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

You would serve where ever you are called to. If your voter registration, address and license are all from Florida, you would most likely be called for jury duty down there.

wow that bites.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Actually, I think that if you do get called and you are officially a non-residence of that state (ie: registered to vote in another state, DL in another state, etc), you can fill out the form it comes with to let them know. I just received word that I got a duty notice in Philadelphia for an address I haven't lived at in 5 years. Hopefully I'll be able to explain that!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex T
    Gotham-

What would have happened if you had to cancel your trip? Are you refunded by the airline? Like is the Airline required to refund you if you cancel for a gov't or law purpose, maybe with proof? Or do the gov't help or are you SOL and you just cancel and hope your not charged a big fine?

Alex
    Not sure, Alex. I was flying jetBlue, which had been flying for maybe a year and a half at the time, i.e. back when they were a bit more accommodating to their customers. I'm guessing they would have helped me out.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex T
    Gotham-

Alex
    Not sure, Alex. I was flying jetBlue, which had been flying for maybe a year and a half at the time, i.e. back when they were a bit more accommodating to their customers. I'm guessing they would have helped me out.
    If you can prove you are booked on a trip, they will exuse you.

I find the whole process of Jury Duty terrifying and depressing. Luckily both times I have been called I have been releived. I hate it because its the only time in your life when you are stripped of your rights as a citizen and lose all dignity. (Other that being an aviation photographer).

Senga

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    I find the whole process of Jury Duty terrifying and depressing. Luckily both times I have been called I have been releived. I hate it because its the only time in your life when you are stripped of your rights as a citizen and lose all dignity. (Other that being an aviation photographer).
    Wow, where the hell have you been serving on Jury Duty? I've been called a number of times, and the process has been painless. Most often, I was on telephone standby, and never even had to report. The times I did report, it involved a lot of sitting around waiting for something to happen - bring a good book and you will be fine. I was always treated with respect by the employees of the courts - judges, officers, and staff.

Twice I was picked for a jury. First time was a medical malpractice case - once we were sworn it, the judge called a recess, and the two sides came to a compromise settlement, something they weren't prepared to do until it was time to put on their case. Second time was just last August - someone was suing MTA/LI Bus and the bus driver for damages after his car had a collision with one of their buses. We went through the trial, and deliberations, finally finding for the defendant bus driver.

Yes, it's inconvenient, and can be boring when you are waiting for a case, but NY has made improvements to ease the burden on prospective jurors. I actually enjoyed the process of being on a jury. It gives you new insight to the American judicial process, and a new respect for the system. I'm not sure I would want the NYCA crowd on the jury if I was involved in a trial :D but it's good to know we have a fair system of justice.

I see Senga's point. The staff are generally nice, but you're essentially locked in a building, you're herded around like school kids, and you can only eat at designated times.