Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cathay Pacific JFK-YVR/YVR-JFK

Although not on the same par of service as Cathay Philippines flies LAS-YVR with the A-340 and they do sell the LAS-YVR sector. There is at least 1 TR on a.net from one of these flights but as it is a much shorter segment hence not as elaborate a service as Cathay.

Cheers

LGA777

Tom., I see you have experience the Cathay hospitality. This excellent trip report brought back the fond memories of the same 888/889 I took twice over the last 8 years to HKG. I must say CX is always consistently in top three for the level of service in any class. I recommend Cathay's Asia Pass. We took 14 flights in 19 days flying all the CX fleet and making stops in RJAA, RJBB, RJOO, WSSS, VTBD and ofcorse VHHH. (in 2004 it was $999, but now the pass costs 1299). Lastly, its probably very difficult now, but before 2001, I was lucky enough to hitch a ride on jump seat on landings at Kai Tak and at YVR. The professionalism of crew is one of the best I have seen over the last 2 decades.
    Raj

Well, I don't think that when my family does this in July on Air Canada, their A319 will be nearly as luxurious from JFK-YVR and back.
    Atleast we get Delta's Boeing 757-200 transcontinental service from ATL-YVR and back to ATL before connecting back home to Florida.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

If you like Cathay service - you have to check out their first-class/B-class lounge in HKG. The food offerings, as well as udon bar are something to write home about. Their b-class service on A340's is really sweet too.

They are mileage partners with AA - so they come in handy when cranking out upgrades.

But if you really want to experience service - a notch higher is Singapore Airlines. Pricier to the orient generally, but an uncompromising quality of service is to be had.

Vik

Quote Originally Posted by VikHathi
    If you like Cathay service - you have to check out their first-class/B-class lounge in HKG. The food offerings, as well as udon bar are something to write home about. Their b-class service on A340's is really sweet too.

They are mileage partners with AA - so they come in handy when cranking out upgrades.

But if you really want to experience service - a notch higher is Singapore Airlines. Pricier to the orient generally, but an uncompromising quality of service is to be had.

Vik
    I tried using my status and miles to upgrade on Cathay but American and Cathay said their agreement doesn't allow for AA Elite or AA miles to be used to upgrade on Cathay.

True. Sorry for the confusion. My brother is a platinum AA card holder - he may not get a seat upgrade using his AA mileage on Cathay, but he does get lounge benefits (for 2 people) at any of the aiports that Cathay serves. Next time you fly with Cathay and you are a plat card holder definitely ask at Check-In about lounge previlidges even if you purchased a economy seat assignment.

Also full miles earned on AA can be redeemed on Cathay seats for any class. (perhaps not upgrades from a previously purchased econ seat) that is my understanding.

Once they were not running completely full in Biz-class they upgraded us from econ (no miles required). But that is a rare instance as most flights to Asia are packed solid.

-Vik