Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valentine's Day Nor'easter and NYC airports

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Valentine's Day Nor'easter and NYC airports

Considering its cold and nasty out, how about a thread with what we may have seen and heard is going on today at the local airports.

-Just spoke with an FA on a JetBlue a/c who has spent the last 6 hours waiting for a gate at JFK

-Just saw the ExpressJet ERJ at FRG getting de-iced but did not see her depart.

feel free to add what you have seen or heard.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Airlines have canceled many flights according to their websites. Southwest has canceled many flights into ISP, jetBlue and Delta have canceled flights into JFK. What a disaster!
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

here's some pics from EWR today. There was only 14 departures slots an hour due to secondary deicing and inspections. But it wasn't too bad because CO cancelled a ton of flights. I think I saw 3 CO rj's depart all day. CLE had to ground stop all CO and Expressjet flights because there was no gates available. But it wasn't a total loss, Larry Kellner was their handing out profit sharing checks. :D So I'm going to Vegas March 1st!

Man I love those EWR snow shots njgtr82!

Got anymore?

damm bill great shots - and that ELAL 744 almost blends in with the rest of the shot!
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

almost??

I completely missed it :lol: and had to go back and find it
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    almost??

I completely missed it :lol: and had to go back and find it
    Same here - my first thought was "What El Al 744?" It just disappeared out in the snow!

For hte sake of keeping this on topic, will start another thread with Nor'Easter pics, in the photo section.

I bet flights this friday will be even more crowded with accomodating passengers in addition to people traveling for the Presidents Week vacation.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Hats off to JFK ATC for the great job they've been doing since yesterday when the whole thing started. Some of these guys not only are handling the pressure really well, but are cracking some extremely funny jokes in the process. These aren't exact quotes, but you'll get the point...

1) Cactus: Ground, the ramp informed us that we have at least a half hour wait for our gate. I'd like to go somewhere where we can shut the engines down.

JFK Ground: How about Phoenix?

2) American 1015: Well, we can try to tug out of Tango but the snow bank looks pretty high and we don't want to ingest any of it in the engines

JFK Ground: Well American 1015, I'll make this easy for you, the Port Authority just closed Tango, so if you try to get out Tango, you and I will both be in a lot of trouble and will be splitting the cost of a Pratt & Whitney. So have them turn you around and go out Sierra.

3) American 667: Ground, do you have a spot where we could hold for about an hour or two to burn off some fuel?

JFK Ground: Sure, I can work that out on one condition: I get to tell all the other airplanes passing by you that you're not sitting there because of an ATC delay.

Unknown Airplane: Try Burbank

Another Unknown airplane: Let him deice the runway!

Man, I think these guys are hilarious, but that could just be me :P

Meanwhile, why would 667 (departure from JFK to SXM) have to hold for an hour or two to burn fuel?!? That was his request, but I can't figure out why he would have to hold for that long, especially with the price of jet fuel...
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    [quote="kc2aqg"]JFK Ground: How about Phoenix?[quote]

LOL!!! don't you just love it when we're all having fun over the radio?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by kc2aqg
    Hats off to JFK ATC for the great job they've been doing since yesterday when the whole thing started. Some of these guys not only are handling the pressure really well, but are cracking some extremely funny jokes in the process. These aren't exact quotes, but you'll get the point...

1) Cactus: Ground, the ramp informed us that we have at least a half hour wait for our gate. I'd like to go somewhere where we can shut the engines down.

JFK Ground: How about Phoenix?

2) American 1015: Well, we can try to tug out of Tango but the snow bank looks pretty high and we don't want to ingest any of it in the engines

JFK Ground: Well American 1015, I'll make this easy for you, the Port Authority just closed Tango, so if you try to get out Tango, you and I will both be in a lot of trouble and will be splitting the cost of a Pratt & Whitney. So have them turn you around and go out Sierra.

3) American 667: Ground, do you have a spot where we could hold for about an hour or two to burn off some fuel?

JFK Ground: Sure, I can work that out on one condition: I get to tell all the other airplanes passing by you that you're not sitting there because of an ATC delay.

Unknown Airplane: Try Burbank

Another Unknown airplane: Let him deice the runway!

Man, I think these guys are hilarious, but that could just be me :P

Meanwhile, why would 667 (departure from JFK to SXM) have to hold for an hour or two to burn fuel?!? That was his request, but I can't figure out why he would have to hold for that long, especially with the price of jet fuel...
    I would imagine that something changed between requesting the fuel load and the actual conditions for departure. Maybe they needed to put on more cargo than orginally estimated or possibly the calculated their max takoff weight assuming a dry runway and then were overweight for a snow covered runway. This scenario was discussed by a pilot recently on a blog http://freightdawginit.blogspot.com/

Anyone see any interesting subs today? Not sure if it was a sub, but it was pretty cool... a DL 76 in old colors (Spirit of Delta maybe?) was on the expressway visual this morning.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Spirit of Delta was taken out of serive along with all 767-200s last year.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].