Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy JFK Plan For The Future

And about the added runways...correct me if I'm wrong because I'm no expert on this, but I'm under the impression that JFK has plenty of runway capacity, but delays are caused by the FAA's inadequate approach and departure configurations.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

This won't happen you know why? NOBODY wants to spend the MONEY for this!
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

This will NEVER happen. . lets forget about the cost for a second, because that is one flaw already.
    From my understanding, you go through security and check in at, say, grand Central station, the board a train that take you directly to your gate. so, if you somebody who like to get there early, you will need to stand in the small space for and hour, with nothing, but maybe a news stand. and where do the baggage go?? and what about people who just arrived. where is the customs. and, by that, can people from LGA need to go through customs. also, where is the car access. are there no cars going to airports anymore. , i will say this: interesting concept, but not practical.
    I would like the train thing , but not if i have to check in first. much easier to go spotting

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    And about the added runways...correct me if I'm wrong because I'm no expert on this, but I'm under the impression that JFK has plenty of runway capacity, but delays are caused by the FAA's inadequate approach and departure configurations.
    JFK does have a lot of excess runway capacity. Actually, I notice they're using new configurations for take-offs and landings these days, especially in the evenings and mornings (landing 22L and departing 22R and 31L at intersection KK, though sometimes they land 4R and take-off on 4L and 31L at KK again).

JFK's traffic has really increased these days. It now handles more aircraft movements than LGA and is closely behind EWR. I was at JFK a few weeks ago dropping off a friend whose flight left around noon. Now, about a year ago, it would have been dead, but it was actually pretty busy this time. Good to see traffic being spread out a lot more these days.