Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Northeast Faces Winter's First Major Snowstorm

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    hiss wouldn't know 8 inches if it hit him in the face.
    Oh, my.

Not touching that one.....

I ain't gonna go there......

In any case I just got done spreading 100 pounds of ice melt on my driveway----300 feet up a hill--the spreader gets very heavy when full.

It's much easier going down hill ;)

Hope you're all safe warm and dry.

Art
    It's the fares, stupid

How is the plowing situation where everyone is? When I left Queens this morning, nothing had been plowed or sanded, which isn't unusual. Often the Dept of Sanitation concentrates their efforts on Manhattan early in a storm, so I figured Manhattan would be spotless. I was mistaken.

• When I got to Penn around 9:40am, nothing in that area had been plowed
    • When I got to my office near Columbus Circle around 10:30am, nothing had been plowed
    • It's 3pm, and looking out the window at the fairly busy intersection of 57th and Broadway, still nothing has been plowed except the westbound side of 57th, which was passed over once.

I know this isn't a huge amount of snow, but this is all going to freeze solid later if it isn't moved now. WTF is going on?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I have to get to JFK tonight, I'm just hoping my flight doesn't get delayed to any extreme, I don't feel like getting into YVR at some horrible hour in the morning. I think I might have to take advantage of the free drinks in the One World lounge, hehe

first I heard that there was a salt surplus and that they were goingot be "over-salting" to get rid of everything they had.

But I've heard from several people in several areas who say that there hasn't been any plowing.

I think I'll call 311 to complain. I urge all of you to do the same.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

There's a recoridng on 311 saying that plwos and salt trucks are being deployed throughout the city, and that they cannot receive complaints until it's done. haha
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    How is the plowing situation where everyone is?
    Don't know how it looks in the city, but this piece from Newsday.com describes some of the challenges here on Long Island:

Quote Originally Posted by Newsday.com
    The NYSDOT had 200 trucks -- and 400 workers -- out on state roads across Long Island in the pre-dawn hours, putting down salt to melt whatever snow fell. The Nassau County Department of Works had between 110 and 120 trucks out, DPW commissioner Ray Ribeiro said, putting down salt and sand -- a lot of it to no avail, thanks to the continually changing conditions.

Part of the problem, experts said, is that plows generally need at least 2-3 inches of snow to be effective. And temperatures often need to be below 20 degrees for a brine solution -- sodium chloride -- to be effective melting ice on the roads.

Unfortunately for drivers, Long Island got neither of those conditions Wednesday morning.

The snow accumulation was little more than one inch in most areas. And the temperature hovered in the mid-20s.

57th and Broadway:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Up in here in Poughkeepsie they haven't done a very good job of plowing.

Long Beach is a giant sheet of ice. I am driving Alexa's car today and I was going oh **** all over the place sliding around when I got home from work. On another note we canceled 98% of our flights this morning and afternoon. That was fun. We had agents outside with memos turning people away before they even made it out of the cab. What a day with the ice and snow. Quite a few "green" USAirways birds at LGA today too.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Here's a few pics from up here in Albany...Classes canceled, plows can't keep up, windy as heck, about two feet has piled up and it keeps on comin...

Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan
    Here's a few pics from up here in Albany...Classes canceled, plows can't keep up, windy as heck, about two feet has piled up and it keeps on comin...
    Who's that guy sitting out in the snow? Someone should get him a hat or something :D

looks like someone gave him a marlboro at lewast but that is probably a snow flake.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    due to the wx cxld all our departures and i'm stuck at work in a tower shaking in the 50kt wind waiting for the last of 4 flights that actually arrived to LGA today. :(
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Wow another snow day!