Thread: OAK-MEM 727

OAK-MEM 727

It twas a rainy friday afternoon in the bay area, a steady drizzle spritzing down while we taxiied past all those lovely FedEX 727s, DC & MD-10s and 11s,and Airbi , dormant now,awaiting their wake up calls for the nights work to come. We were flight 2704, a 727 repositioning flight, blasting empty save crew from OAKland by the bay, to MEMphis by the river,for a charter to be accomplished later by another crew. Minutes later checklists complete ,we took rwy 11,advanced throttles (thrust levers), converted JetA to copious amounts of black smoke, and really offensive amounts of deep thundery,cracklely JT8D noise (music),over came weight and drag, with lift, and thrust, pointed our nose skyward, and departed.

Slicing thru all that grey,and wet,twisting and turning per the Mariner 4 SID,we soon found ourselves on top in the low 30's, pulling a long contrail, and heading east on course for Memphis. Level at Fl 350, we cruised at a fuel efficient .8 mach, the autopilot engaged, on a heading for Razorback VOR, some 2 hours and change ahead, the VOR which would be our gateway for descent and arrival .

Beneath us the undercast thinned out and disappeared,revealing the treasures hidden underneath, snow capped Rockies, and brilliant red rock deserts, the geographic beauty of the wild west, miles,and miles beneath us, the sky, that sub-stratospheric sky around and above us a brilliant blue, marked here and there,by the passing contrails of our brothers and sisters , vanishing toward the far horizon.

The turn of the earth caught up with us 1 hour out of Memphis, and the sun winked out behind us, leaving in its wake a riot of red ,orange,and gold on the retreating western sky.

Descent time, throttles to idle, we plummet from the heavens keeping our speed up per ATC, 350 kts indicated,right near the barber pole, the 727 doing her space shuttle imitation, while we prepare to return to the planet beneath us.

below 10,000 we slow and configure flaps,and leading edge devices ,angling and arching into the relative wind, we pivot onto the visual approach for rwy 36R, weighing only 115K, feather light for a 727, I ease her, coax her down ,flaps 30, 130 knots on the clock, Landing checks complete, we touch down in a welter of noise,and reverse thrust.

Taxi in, past all those FedEx freighters ,now just beginning to stir at their mother hub. Park. Shutdown. A good days work complete. God's grace.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

do you fly for Champion?

Quote Originally Posted by njgtr82
    do you fly for Champion?
    si !
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i'm so jealous!! you guys hiring?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    i'm so jealous!! you guys hiring?
    Ditto that one kind sir. I will not bitch and moan about an old plane so as long as it is a 727. BTW you capture the essence of it all very well in your writings.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

thanks brothers ,actually we are hiring ,you can go to the website for details. pay is not the greatest for FE's, but we are in negotiations for a second contract. we are ALPA, and the 727 is God's gift to pilots. by the way cancidas ,love that avatar, i'm a former DC-3 guy myself.

Great writeup! Please keep them coming. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

wilco,hopefully come spring i will be able to hook up with you guys,and gals, for some jfk spotting, i will bring my daughter, and show her the old sod.

Awwww shux you mean I would have to come in as a plumber?
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

affirm,sorry about that....when i joined pre 9/11 it was 18months to capt., and only a few months on the panel,post 9/11 it was years on the panel,now with things getting better again,and pilots leaving for new adventures its down to months again. but on the plus side you would never have to take that written again if you want fedex or ups.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    flying a 727 is good enough, don't care how many bars on my shoulders! having that much fun at work ought to be illegal...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

it is a great ship, a true classic ! and its probably the last jet out there that is truly flown (except for NW DC-9s !), every generation after ,starting with 757,the pilot is a step removed the ship, an automated interface stands between he/her , and the soul of the ship.

Great report, is it true Champion's 727s are going away being replaced by A319s?

rumor control has that or the 737, replacing our noble 3 holer, in truth, eventually we will have to replace them, in fact,no decision has been made,in hope, I get at least another year in the 727 before going to the schoolhouse. cheers !