Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abe's of Maine

Abe's of Maine

Has anyone ever purchased anything from Abe's of Maine?

I just ordered my XTI, but I'm a little worried after reading poor reviews of this company online. Has anyone ever dealed with them before?

Looks like they are legit at least. But their business tactics are a little bad.

Seems like if it doesn't work, your screwed, their return policy isn't followed and you will loose out on your money if it is broken.

They will also have you call and they will try to sell you stuff, don't buy anything.

In my opinion, you should have stuck with B&H, Canoga, Beach, or another highly trusted company. Canoga is my favorite, family owned shop with very friendly people who actually take time to talk to you (called up to check on order, lady talked with me for about a half an hour answering questions and telling me some cool stuff you can do with the camera, and how she loves hers)
    nwa FOREVER!

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    I was a B&H guy, but I just ordered my XTi from Amazon - free shipping, free printer (Canon Pixma i6210D, that I'll probably never use [!!]), and a 30 day return policy (that I hope I'll never use [!!]).

I ordered the silver, but the price is the same as the black at Abe's, and a couple bucks less than B&H/Adorama/the others.

I've been between Amazon and B&H, it all depends on whose prices are lower. Generally if I'm getting anything from B&H, I'll time it so I pick it up when I'm passing through the city, therefore no shipping charges.

Anytime its an expensive item, I go with a trusted merchant. However, I was able to get a remote for my rebel for only 90 cents on ebay :) For things like that, I'll take the gamble. Good luck with these people, though.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Amazon is trusted too. How much did you pay for it? You too Chris.

I paid something like (including shipping) $630 for mine
    nwa FOREVER!

Abe's has a good name. Now I only use B&H, and not just for camera related items. B&H just can't be beat, their reliability, selection, and price are the best. Even when it comes to their shipping, I always receive my goods a day or two before they are scheduled to arrive.

I've been to their store in Brooklyn--pretty big, easy to get to. Don't know much about photography though.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Thanks for all the advice.

I ended up canceling my order at Abe's and buying a Canon XT and 75-300mm lense from Adorama.

After I placed my order, I noticed that the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus Telephoto Zoom Lens that I ordered "uses a DC motor instead of a USM to drive the AF." What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris102
    Thanks for all the advice.

I ended up canceling my order at Abe's and buying a Canon XT and 75-300mm lense from Adorama.

After I placed my order, I noticed that the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus Telephoto Zoom Lens that I ordered "uses a DC motor instead of a USM to drive the AF." What does this mean?
    I'd stay away from a DC motor, they are alot slower in focusing on moving objects then a USM motor.

B&H, live and learn.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    The DC motor is the non-USM version of the lens. The optics are all the same, but the AF motor is slower and louder. The difference isn't huge, but it's noticible.

I bought my 20/2.8 from B&H a few days before a year-long trip to Israel. After the whole transaction was finished, the counter guy gave me a blessing and wished me a safe trip. Now that's customer service!

Thanks for your help.

I really haven't tried my lense out yet, but just how noticible is the DC motor? It is quick enough to focus in on a moving plane or car?

Also, how is the quality of this lense? I've been reading online that it is not very sharp, but from photos on Airliners.net, it looks like it is sharp.

Also, is it important to have an IS lens to use in good light outside? I shook the camera while testing my lense, and the quality was fine, absolutely no shaking in the picture. Is the shutter in good light usually faster than the shaking?

Here's a photo of my 2nd favorite plane, taken with a Canon 75-300mm. I don't really see any un-sharpness.
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1049626/M/

You can tell that photo was sharpened heavily in photoshop though.
    nwa FOREVER!

NWAFAN20,
    Do you think that this is a good lense for me, since I'm just starting out with DSLR photography? I am also looking at a Canon 70-200mm f/4.0L USM on eBay, but I don't know if, as an amature, if this would be a good choice for me, or if I should start off with the 75-300mm.

Also, I'm looking at the Tamron and Sigma 28-300mm lenses. Do you have a suggestion on which I should buy, or if I should keep my 75-300MM?

Since your starting out, any lens is good for you (and myself), it will help you learn how to work with SLR lenses.

I have some SLR under my belt now (a few months, about a year including film SLR), but I do highly recommend the 70-200 F/4 L for a cheaper lens.

It really all depends on how much you want to spend, if your budget is bigger, I would go for the 70-200 F/2.8 or the 100-400 L.
    nwa FOREVER!