Thread: NYC/EWR Hotel & spotting ?

NYC/EWR Hotel & spotting ?

Hi guys,

I've read many postings here in this great forum in preperation of my NYC trip next month ! The spotting so far is pretty clear to me - can't wait to be at Howard Beach to nail the Heavies while banking....I will need some tips for EWR before starting the trip but I will do a research before.

Now I have a question if anyone can recommend me a budget accormodation (preferably a hotel...) near EWR or JFK in a safe area ?

I already checked for JFK hotels but none seem to fit my budget and I found them very overpriced compared to Newark for example. My choice at the moment would be the Holiday Inn at Newark which offers some standart room, a parking lot and a good price (about 80USD) - but if anyone has a better idea that would be much appreciated !

Does anybody know the Holiday Inn ? Could it be that one side of the hotel is facing the airport ? Is it close enough for spotting (80-400mm lens) ?

Is there any other hotel in JFK or EWR that provides apron views for decent spotting or night shooting ?

I know these are many questions but if you can answer a few of them that would be so great !

thanks in advance and hope to see some of you out there while spotting ! :D

greets from Germany
    Last edited by Tamon; 2011-12-02 at 04:26 PM.

About the Holiday Inn at EWR, its about a half mile west of the approach end of Rwy 22 L/R. If your on the top few floors of the south side of the hotel you could probably get some decent apron shots of terminal C which is all CO. Might also want to check out the Mariott which is in between terminal B and the control tower.

Tamon,

What dates will you be in NYC? I'm looking for a good excuse to go there, combined with DAB to visit a friend.

Jurgen

Hi Jurgen,

my dates are 12th to 19th of March - but no exact dates for spotting at certain airports have been picked yet.

maybe we see each other !

@ njgtr82 : Thanks for the infos so far. I think the hotel is too far away for any spotting.

greets

Tamon

Anyone know of any hotels close to either LGA or JFK? I'll be looking for something when I am there March 3/4 - would be nice to wake up and get some early morning spotting - I'd like to try and catch the SAA flight coming in early if possible.

Any suggestions?
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawrence
    Anyone know of any hotels close to either LGA or JFK? I'll be looking for something when I am there March 3/4 - would be nice to wake up and get some early morning spotting - I'd like to try and catch the SAA flight coming in early if possible.

Any suggestions?
    I used to regularly stay at a hotel across the street from LGA on Ditmars Blvd. I used to request a high floor facing the airport and tune in my scanner and have a good old time. I forget the name of the hotel but there are at least 2 on that stretch of road and I would assume either would be good.

That was in the days before I had a good camera setup (early to mid 90s) so I don't know if you could get good shots from there or not.