Thread: Wanted: Canon Film SLR Body

Wanted: Canon Film SLR Body

Does anyone have a working Canon SLR body they'd like to get rid of? I'm taking a photography class...no megapixels allowed.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Matt, I'm assuming "Photography of the Stone Age" was just an elective, right?

I've heard that it's easy to get those used from various places (I assume craigslist even), since people are upgrading to post-war cameras.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I had to take an art class so I picked something practical. Unfortunately they don't offer a digital class, but I figure learning the fundamentals from a pro could be kinda useful. :)

Here is B&H's selection of used Canon SLRs with autofocus. I don't know much about film SLRs...like how old these models are. I'd like to spend no more than $100. Any advice?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... s=&ci=3017
    &ac=&Submit.x=7&Submit.y=4&Submit=Go
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

The 10s, which is right around $100, it a decent film camera; it's the only EOS film camera I have. Unfortunately, it's an old model, and while it was considered second from the top of the line when it was new, it's been bested in a lot of ways. The biggest problem is that the foam bumper for the shutter starts to deteriorate over time, leading a tar-like substance that sticks up the shutter in warm/hot weather.

My girlfriend started out with a used Rebel 2000; it was a decent camera, which, like the rest of the Rebel series cameras, is mostly designed for beginners. It has all the stuff you'd need for a photography class (like Manual mode). Stuff like the autofocus isn't great, but it's not as important since you're not planning to use the body in situations where that's critical, I imagine.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

I have an EOS 5 (A2E) if you're interested. Used it for slides when I was shooting them, now it's just sitting in the camera bag.

Let me know if you would be interested.

AJ
    Pull back and the houses get smaller!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Didn't Mario have one?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Thanks, AJ, but too late. :)

I actually went the quick cheap route and bought a used Rebel Ti with a 28-90mm lens from B&H for $129 a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure what to expect, having never shot on full manual before (shutter, aperture, and focus), never shot with a film SLR before, and never shot on slide film before. The quality of the camera itself also scared me a little...the Ti feels a lot flimsier than the digital Rebels. I know it's lighter because it doesn't have all the electronics in it that a digital does, but the feel in my hands didn't inspire confidence. The lens it came with is cheapish-plastic like the body, and it's not even an EF lens. Topping it all off, the body has a "Made in China" sticker on the bottom, which I had never seen on any Canon product before. I crossed my fingers.

Here is our first assignment, which I turned in on Wednesday:
    1. Photograph the same object in 6 places under different lighting conditions
    2. Photograph the same place at 8 different times of the day
    3. Photograph a silhouette
    4. Create an image with the light source in the photograph
    5. Everything in the picture out of focus;
    6. High camera angle (taken from at least 10 feet above subject);
    7. Low camera angle (camera placed at ground level);
    8. Close-up (as close as your lens will allow you to focus) – no flowers or plants

Turns out I worry too much. I used two rolls of Fuji Velvia 100 and got them developed at Duggal on 23rd St. I was amazed when I picked them up. First thing I noticed is that the colors are significantly richer than digital. A few shots that I thought I might have mis-exposed turned out really well. Planning out all the shots and the lighting was a lot of fun too. When I get them back from the professor I may get some of them scanned and post them here.

Now I have to get to work on the next assignment which deals with use of aperture and depth of field:
    1. Use a shallow depth of field to create a series of images, in the same location, create an image with the focus on a subject 3-5 ft. from you, one with an image 5-10 ft. from you, and one that is more then 10 ft. from you.
    2. Create an image with everything in the picture in focus.
    3. Create a bracket of seven stops of the same scene,
    4. While maintaining a consistent correct exposure, shoot an image with 5 different focal ranges. One must be your smallest focal range, your largest, one in the middle, and one each between the middle and the largest, and the middle and the smallest.
    5. A Reflection.
    Note: You must bracket exposure #1, 2, 4, and 5

Good to see that stayed with Canon anyway.

Good Luck,

AJ
    Pull back and the houses get smaller!