Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: A380 to JFK/ORD/IAD in Mid-March

Quote Originally Posted by Chris102
    I heard that it would take 2-3 hours to get to JFK from Manhattan..... :cry:
    Depends on when you're going. I went from northern Jersey (Hoboken) to JFK yesterday for the A380, and I'd say that the whole trip took maybe 1:15 or so. But, I left at 6:45 and managed to beat most of the rush hour traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel; it probably would have taken another half hour at the least just for that otherwise.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Even if you took the A-train it should be no more than an hour or so to Howard Beach/JFK station. Of course, that's if there are no problems. I leave the city at 6pm and am usually home by 730p (I'm a few stops after HoBe on the A).

Mike

Does anyone know if the A380 will be doing any type of a low fly-by of Manhattan, or will be visible from Manhattan? It seems like my plans have changed, and there's a small chance I will still be able to get to NY, but only as far as Manhattan. I heard that it would take 2-3 hours to get to JFK from Manhattan..... :cry:
    Where in Manhattan will you be and are you driving or taking the subway?
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild
    Does anyone know if the A380 will be doing any type of a low fly-by of Manhattan, or will be visible from Manhattan? It seems like my plans have changed, and there's a small chance I will still be able to get to NY, but only as far as Manhattan. I heard that it would take 2-3 hours to get to JFK from Manhattan..... :cry:
    I was planning on driving, but my plans have changed, and it looks like I won't be able to get to JFK tomorrow. :cry:
    But many thanks to everyone who answered my questions! I really appreicated everyone's help!

I hope that everyone has a great time at JFK tomorrow! :)

P.S: Has anyone heard about a possible PHL visit in the future? Is PHL even ready for the A380?

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild
    I was planning on driving, but my plans have changed, and it looks like I won't be able to get to JFK tomorrow. :cry:
    But many thanks to everyone who answered my questions! I really appreicated everyone's help!

I hope that everyone has a great time at JFK tomorrow! :)

P.S: Has anyone heard about a possible PHL visit in the future? Is PHL even ready for the A380?
    Although looking at PHL on Google Earth tells me 9R & 27L have length and width my question is where would you park the beast? The only place I see is the desolated land north of 9R/ the western part of the airport. Are they developing the lot by any chance?
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

PHL

The A380 will visit PHL as soon as the order for US Airways is completed and announced. It will seat 8 Envoy and 2,346 coach, and will park at Terminal F.

They will advise you to arrive 5 hours before flight time as boarding will begin 3 hours before.

Due to capacity limitations no food or drink will be provisioned.
    It's the fares, stupid

Too funny Art. Wait til people start asking when it's going to visit CLE, MSP, DAL, SLC, etc. Would be very nice but the whole point of the A380 is to connect megacities that are tight on airport capacity, e.g. DXB-LHR. As such, there's no real market for the Super in the USA and that's why it will only ever be seen here operated by foreign carriers to gateway destinations like LAX and JFK.

Nope, isn't gonna happen. The only way it would have happened is if UPS went through with the order and then pushed for the city to widen taxiways such as Uniform and Sierra. If it were to happen, it wouldnt be until the 2020 Master Plan is started which if you lived in Philly you'd realize that is now the 2050 Master Plan.

Hey Guys,

NYCAviation was represented at LAX too. Unfortunately, the sky was overcast, so the arrival photos don't measure up. As the day wore on, some sun came through a bit, so this shot isn't too bad.

This is ship 001, and is still mostly unfinished inside, with test equipment and exposed wiring in sight.

Steve

Nice shot Steve, looks like NYCA had this thing covered from coast to coast!

NYCA's version of the events....

http://nycaviation.com/topstories#airbus-a380-032607

Does anybody know where the Airbus touched down first? I know the one here in NY touched down at 12:10p or 12:11p, which would be 9:10a, 9:11a PST. Anybody have an exact time for the LAX landing?
    Christos

Quote Originally Posted by fly.mcs
    Does anybody know where the Airbus touched down first? I know the one here in NY touched down at 12:10p or 12:11p, which would be 9:10a, 9:11a PST. Anybody have an exact time for the LAX landing?
    Good Question.

LAX was supposed to be first.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by fly.mcs
    Haven't seen the actual touchdown time for the LAX flight, but when we were on our way back to the terminal from shooting the JFK landing, Phil called someone at LAX, and it hadn't landed there yet, so NYC had the first landing!

It was officially first in NY. Phil actually called one of NYCA's members who was waiting for it in LAX and 10 minutes after it had landed here, it was just on final in LAX.

::neiner neiner neiner::