Thread: RC Planes

RC Planes

My parents got me a remote control plane for Xmas. Nothing too extravegant; styrofoam, small 7V rechargable battery and such with a shape like a Cessna 172.

I finally got to put it together and try it out with my brother at a baseball field yesterday. Wow. I couldn't believe how much fun that thing was. Little thing got up to at least 150 feet. I kept flying it around, fighting the wind, and avoiding some of the few obstructions that were around.

It came with several extra propellers, and I knew that meant that they'd break easily, and I destroyed two of them.

Landing was difficult, mainly because the grass was hard and bumpy. I knew that had it been pavement, I'd have landed it well.

The battery lasted about 4 minutes or so, and took about 8 minutes to charge up. Charging jsut requires you take the battery out from the plane and hook it up to a wire through the controls, so no outlets are necessary.

I was surprised how this styrofoam and wire plane held up against so many rough landings.

I'm so very addicted, and I can see myself getting more in the future and getting very into this.

Anyone else do the rc plane thing? I'm looking to learn more about it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    my roommate from riddle was very into it, he had two gasoline airplanes when we were out there. he crashed one and ended up seatling the corrogated plastic signs to make new ones. those were fun, and we shot at them with the potato gun when were were bored. don't know if he's still flying them though.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I just recently sold my gas one. It was a fun plane though.
    nwa FOREVER!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    My dad has (still in his garage, and I hope to maybe get it going) an old gas one. I think the wing span in 3.5 feet.

Last image I have of it flying was in ....prior to 1984, I saw it do a loop and recover...into the roof of the garage. :)

I'd like to get into it again and just go into the turbines they have now. THey look and sound just incredible!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Those things are amazing.

After seeing the concorde one at Floyd Bennett last year, and a B-17 a couple years ago, plus the choppers doing full loop de loop and a couple of "UFO/blimps" I am pretty much sold on this hobby.

If I had the time and resources I'd check it out more, but as it is, I always linger for a bit to watch folks flying their planes.

Have to say, I do see these things crash into the weeds fairly often tho...

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Hi Im relatively new to the group... but thought I'd share some thoughts.

Not sure of any RC parks in the NY/NJ area, but if you are interesting in RC flying, and you are in the LA area. Do check out a dedicated RC airpark just south of Van Nuys airport called Apollo Field. (its off Woodley Ave., south of Victory Blvd., in the Sepulveda Basin.) I used to go there a bit when I used to live in LA for the past 20 years.

Anytime of the day you go, (its really busy on weekends) there are a bunch of people tweaking and flying their prop planes. But, the real fun is when they have the 'jet competition weekend', and thats when the big guns come out. Those folks whom have plunked down $15K to $20K on turbine jet RC planes bring their skills to the park. And those things are amazing. First time I heard one of those start up, I was stunned. Sounded like a real jet but of a slightly higher pitch. With retracting landing gear, and stobe lights, its something to see. The airpark has an area for RC helicopters too - if you are in to those aswell.

Definitely worth checking out if you are in the area. If you need more info, do let me know and I'll try to dig up the website.

-Vik
    Parsippany, NJ.