Thread: DMB

DMB

Dave Matthews Band.

Might just be a college-kid phase kind of thing, but I've really grown fond of their music over the past few weeks. The live recordings, especially from the Central Park Concert back in 2003, are an unusually soothing combination of rock, funk, and jazz that sits well with me in almost any mood.

I'm just worried that I'm listening to them so much that I'll be sick of it before I know it! :) C'est la vie...wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the group? If you want some easy-listening starter songs, sample some of these:

-Two Step (Live, "The Gorge"; insane piano solo at around 10:30)
    -Cortez The Killer (Live, "The Central Park Concert"; with Allman Brothers guitarist Warren Hayes)
    -Grey Street (Live, "The Central Park Concert")

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Get their "Live at the Red Rocks" CD.....absolutely amazing. I've never heard live music like that before.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

One of my all-time favorites as well, Bri. I've loved Dave since high school and was actually my first concert in 1999 (11th grade).

I love the live CD Listener Supported....check it out.

Also, I forget which album/show my favorite version of Two Step came from, but I have a sick version of it too....I'll find it and share with you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    Also, I forget which album/show my favorite version of Two Step came from, but I have a sick version of it too....I'll find it and share with you. :)
    Mine is 19:01 of warm, fuzzy goodness. I also have a 32:10 version of #41.

Brilliant stuff.
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Brian,

I hate to say it, might be a passing college phase but I hope not. I have only recently re-explored their music and it's just awesome.

My taste in music is eclectic, to say the least. Come to my office and I have Julio Iglesias, Marc Antoine and the Eagles, playing whereas at home, I might go from GooGooDolls, to DMB to Haitian Kompa music to Bach to punk. Music has always been a strong part of our family so I truly take it all in.

(So much so that when I die, I want "STAY" to be played at the service and I want dancing. That blend of jovial music describes me to a "T")

But...
    I'd never heard of them until my friend took me to their concert, on my birthday, 7th row Jones Beach, 1997. It was just incredible. Boyd Tinsley on the violin is the most impressive sight to see live. John Popper of BLues Traveler made a guest appearance. It was just so intense. I have yet to see a better group in concert. There is so much great energy there.

Now having said that, once I heard them live, we saw them in their 3 following NY appearances, Giants Stadium, MSg, etc. Then when they recorded...the album after EVERYDAY, I backed off and started not liking their stuff.

Then 3 weeks ago, after not really following their new releases over the last 5 years, I picked up the Central Park Concert and the Gorge CD/DVD. And I've been overplaying those 5 CD's in my car for the past 3 weeks! I so love hearing their stuff!

Now that I am typing, hold on while I go play my DMB on the computer...

OK, I've got "Lie in our Graves" from THE GORGE CD playing right now. Around 6:45 starts the intense violin that I so love. Gosh, its just so savory.

So in retrospect, I started listening to them in 97 and lost interest after EVERYDAY and just recently got back into it and I just love it. We've been blasting in the house and car and it get's the baby kicking :)

How do you like Gravedigger? It's another one of my recent favs.

I just can't say enough good things about them. As a band, I feel their music gets richer and evolves with each piece. If you listen to Grey Street, or Gravedigger,...or I forget the CD but listen to Say Goodbye. That was a great song...and a dear reminder of my last year in college.

And if you ignore the lyrics and just listen to the music, I find myself picking up each instrument as it segues in and out of the song, the VIolin, the bass, the acoustic guitar. The flute. The music just resonates within my skin. So savory and smooth and strong when it needs to be. They blend so well together.

As a side note, when I have heard Dave Matthews or Boyd or Carter on their own ventures, I feel their music suffers.

The only thing I don't care for are the marijuana smoking teenie bopper fans that flood the concerts. Drugs were never really my thing and the second hand marijuana smoke at the concerts is just ridiculous. That's an unfortunate downer.

I could rave about them forever but enjoy the experience.

Mario
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Yes, Red Rocks is great too. But they have 2 Red Rocks CDs now right??

edit:

Live at Red Rocks is from 1995, Weekend on the Rocks is another live CD I have not yet heard...from 2005.
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

7iOVsYJdmZ4

:mrgreen:
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    Brian,

I hate to say it, might be a passing college phase but I hope not. I have only recently re-explored their music and it's just awesome.

But...

Now having said that, ...

Then when they recorded... ...

Then 3 weeks ago, ...

Now that I am typing, ...

So in retrospect, ...

I just can't say enough good things about them. ...

And ...

As a side note, ...

I could rave about them forever but enjoy the experience.
    Scintillating DMB dissertation, Dr. Craig. :)

I agree with you, though, in your descriptions of their music - "So savory and smooth and strong when it needs to be" is exactly right!

A few years ago, I had heard Yanni's live performance at the Acropolis (accompanied by a symphony orchestra). I was enthralled by the music and definitely hooked...until I downloaded and listened to a few of his recorded studio tracks. But I digress...moral of the story is that I much prefer live music to stiff studio productions. There's just nothing like the cheers of a live audience backing up a full, rich jam session in Central Park!

With that said, "Lie In Our Graves" is awesome. I downloaded it last night and it already has 6 plays on it. It's playing again right now, too.

Brian

I'm not quite the expert, but "Two Step" and "Dancing Nancies" are among my favs.

However, the Red Rocks version of "Crush" takes the cake by far.

Its not my thing, but girls dig em, and if youre in the hunt for chasin skirts, a DMB concert is the place to be. JMO.

So is the back of a supermarket. But I disgress....

Which, "Lie In Our Graves" , the version I told you about? Awesome around 7 minutes, right?

"Say Goodbye" is great, even better with a nice young lady by your side.
    Excellent percussion in that one. Studio version.

"Stay", I must say, was ACTUALLY BETTER in studio, compared to the Gorge and Central Park CD's. But when you see it live, with the back up singers, Brian, dude, its such a rush. It's the one tune that captures the essence of my being. I hear it and also think of my grandfather who taught me so much about music.

Hey, whenever you are ready, I'd love to see them again. Too bad they are too big for Jones Beach now. Who knows, in a couple of years, I might take the flight out and see them at the Rocks or the Gorge.

Did you watch the Gorge DVD? I didn't bother watching the interviews but the music and seeing it played is thrilling. COme to think of it, that was how we welcomed in 2007.

So not even 24 hours later, I'm still on a roll here!

What I find even more amazing is how they can make each one song sounds so unbelievably different and yet still awesome!

Listened to "Lie in Our Graves" Gorge Version last night at home and the 1995 Red Rocks version this morning in the car...2 distinct kinds of pure melodic brilliance and yet all the same song.

DM & Glimmer Twins.. a bit maudlin but nice enough....

eXwmMyoWsA0
    "Keep 'em Flying"