Thread: Op/Ed: The Strange Death of the Royal Navy

Op/Ed: The Strange Death of the Royal Navy

NY Post:
    A 400-YEAR epoch of world history is about to draw to a close. If Britain's current Labor government has its way, Britain's Royal Navy will mothball at least 13, and perhaps as many as 19, of its remaining 44 ships, or nearly half its effective fleet.

With one bureaucratic stroke, the Ministry of Defense will end a naval tradition reaching back to Sir Francis Drake - reducing the Royal Navy, which 40 years ago was still the second-largest fleet in the world, to the size of navies of countries like Indonesia and Turkey.

This decision, of course, has to be set against the background of Britain's decades-long decline as a world power. But it also reflects a struggle for the soul of Great Britain that has been going since World War II: Is Britain part of an English-speaking, Atlantic-based strategic alliance that includes the United States and Canada? Or is it part of Europe as envisioned by technocrats in Paris, Brussels and Berlin?
    Read the rest...
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Interesting read Matt and certainly IMO a very bad idea. I truly hope the U.K doesn't grow closer to the EU. Great Britain has always been a truly proud stand alone country that has stood the test of time. I fear any attempt to join the EU will be a disaster for the U.K.

Now with this, when they get into a conflict, who are they going to rely on? Their good ol' buddies the United States.
    nwa FOREVER!