Thread: So I have discovered Billy Joel

So I have discovered Billy Joel

Yeap I discovered cd's in my parents collection today and have been jamming out all day does anyone know how many cd's he has so I can go out and buy em all
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Kids these days...

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/BillyJoel/

He has close to 2 dozen albums out, definitely someone to add to your collection, and a Long Islander as well!

You might look for "The Essential Billy Joel", it's a 2-disc set with 36 of his top recordings.

Yeah I'm a big Joel Fan, he has about 20 albums. I've been listening to his box set "My Lives" recently, which has mostly unreleased stuff, plus demo and alternate versions of his big hits, some of which I think are better then the released ones.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Not to get too far off-topic, but I'm really liking The Who's (the New Who) new song "It's not enough"...

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I took my friend to dinner in Sag Harbor after he won the LI Open couple years back to celebrate, Billy Joel was sitting right next to us. The owner came and sat with us instead fof him. It was classic. More so probably because my friend works at a club in Bridgehampton that everyone wants to play but it was cool. Billy consumed much wine that night too I might add.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

This totally reminds me of this thread: http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3524

I'm a product of hippy parents, so I've loved the classics since I was a wittle girl. :)

Billy's the man behind the wheel of a boat, not a Porsche lol.

Statistically, one in every ten people on this forum have been hit by, or have had thier property hit by, a Billy Joel driven vehicle. :D
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    This totally reminds me of this thread: http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3524

I'm a product of hippy parents, so I've loved the classics since I was a wittle girl. :)
    HAHAHA Mel you read my mind!!!

I am STILL rocking to Seger btw ;)

You folks gonan go catch him in Concert in NYC Jan 25th??

Anyway dude Joel is my Dad's favorite singer. I have heard some songs they are ok.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Hiss, Billy Joel had two "Greatest hits collections" -- that are probably/might still be packaged that way.

The first one is 2 CDs I believe..(perhaps one these days, not sure) and he had a volume 3 as well.

(Similar oddly to what you can pick up for fellow piano man and one time tour partner Elton John and have just about anything most would consider worth having)

This would cover all his hits and a bit more for any non rabid fan. Not sure if its Box Set time if you've only just stared hearing his music.

He's a funny guy. Sort of "retired" now as he doesn't see "rock" music being terribly legitimate for middle age performers (though he is a big fan of the Rolling Stones).

He has lamented his music before being relagated to "soft rock" formats which he once compared to "soft ****". But then again, his critics were often brutal to the "schmaltz" element evident in some of his work which probably helped him get there.

One CD that is essential though in its entirety would be "The Stranger".

Locally, Billy Joel from Long Island, and Bruce from New Jersey were the biggest music stars (non rap/hip hop that is) to come along in the "rock era". The boroughs being relagated to the less commercial, harder edged Ramones and New York Dolls in the Rock Era. (well, and I guess, lets not forget Franki Valli from NJ as well)

Nick - Proably a good thing no one invaded the Piano Man's space ...he's not known to be especially friendly to fans in these settings..

I don't know how to embed these YouTube links, but here's Billy Joel in probably the biggest "Classic Rock" performance of all time... leading Dylan, Jagger, Harrison, Jeff Beck, Springsteen (and many others I might add) through "I saw Her Standing There"

HNiFr30kcgk

:D
    "Keep 'em Flying"