Thread: My Visit to Floyd Bennett Field

My Visit to Floyd Bennett Field

I visited Floyd Bennett Field this weekend. Concorde G-BOAD is on display and you can get very close except for a fence built around her. She looks exactly the same as she did on the Hudson River and suffered no damage. She is not yet open for tours. Visitors were taking many photos and were asking many questions. They were especially interested in the "Droop" nose. Sadly, 2 historic hangars were turned into a sports complex with 2 rinks, several gyms, etc. I was hoping that the hangars would be used to display historic aircraft but there was no financing for that. A branch of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum never panned-out and was built in Virginia instead. I was unaware of the historical significance of FBF. They have a nice, but small, museum. I recommend a visit. You can also view NYPD helicopters in action, the TDWR Doppler Tower, and a hangar with historical aircraft but is open only on certain days.

I had no idea about the sports complex :( That's horrible! Floyd Bennett is a great place--I used to go there when I was young and watch the planes take off and land from JFK (a bit too far for any photography, I think). I also played mini-golf at the Gateway center across Flatbush Avenue.

That was actually the first place I practiced driving with my dad, since there's all that space.

I thought there was still a small museum open on weekends where people can visit volunteers who were restoring old warbirds.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Floyd Bennett Field

Gladly, there still is a small museum at FBF. It is in the former control tower. There is also a hangar with restored planes but it's only open a few days a week and is on the other side of the field (hard to get to with no car).

I have always wanted to visit there. I have passed it a few times in my life and always wondered... Jeeze how cool it would be to pop in and wander around there.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

There are also some nice places to fish there.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Visiting FBF

By all means visit. You can get close-up to Concorde, visit a small museum and there is a sports complex with refreshments and sports to do if you are so inclined. There's also a nice view of NYPD helicopters in action as well as the Coast Guard and aircraft departing or approaching JFK.