Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video of NW DC-9 coasting into their own A320

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Video of NW DC-9 coasting into their own A320

I was pretty surprised to see how fast the DC-9 was coming in. :shock:

http://kstp.dayport.com/viewer/viewe...?Art_ID=167944

To the operations and ramp people out here, how fast does it appear to be going?

EDIT:

I just looked at the video again. I don't know ANYTHING about this, but that Dc-9, ...was it 'speeding' on the ramp prior to the incident?

I ask becasue there must have been some INCREDIBLE inertial forces at work there to vault that A320 over as much as it did. I mean, that wasn't just a love tap, if you know what I mean!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I can't hear sound on my work computer...how and why did they collide??
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK
    I can't hear sound on my work computer...how and why did they collide??
    The A320 was backing out, and there was some slippery stuff on the ground. The DC9's brakes failed and they couldn't stop in time and slammed into the A320, though I guess slammed wouldnt be the correct word.

The DC9 was written off and the A320 is back to flying I believe.
    Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Defineately a little fast. He had some inerta (if thats spelled right) behind him from taxing aand lost hydralucs. They were at no point really speeding though.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

That video reminded me of a couple photos I saw before on JP.net. I searched around and found them: http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5838419
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5838402

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Don't know about any slippery stuff on the ground. I do recall reading that the main cause was the hydraulic failure was the casue of the accident.

I am still beside myslef watching it. Just looking at the Anet plane data database, that loaded A320 got tossed my the substantially lighter just arriving Dc-9. Talk about getting your salad tossed!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

The average taxi speed I see out there is actualyl as slow as 15-25mph, slower than I'd have previously guessed (I've clocked it by pacing with aircraft).

The video is tough to gague because of the stop-action-framing, butit does look as though he was going a little faster thannormal.

How there wasn't an explosion or death still baffles me. I remember reading that the fuel from the wing started gushing into the cockpit. I don't know how any of the electronics in there didn't spark it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    The average taxi speed I see out there is actualyl as slow as 15-25mph, slower than I'd have previously guessed (I've clocked it by pacing with aircraft).

The video is tough to gague because of the stop-action-framing, butit does look as though he was going a little faster thannormal.

How there wasn't an explosion or death still baffles me. I remember reading that the fuel from the wing started gushing into the cockpit. I don't know how any of the electronics in there didn't spark it.
    Phil you can take a bucket of Jet A throw a match in it and the match will just go out. It takes alot for jet A to combust into flames.

NWA320/DC9 crash

I dont know if many knew this, but the pilots of the DC9 reported the brake failures in flight, or thats what i heard from news reports anyways, but would that be part of the pre landing checks??, if so it wasnt something to just have occured on the ground after they landed. The weather conditions didnt help a brake failure, but luckily there were no fatalities or severe injuries in the incident/accident.
    Regards,
    Matt L
    Qantas orders 188 narrow body aircraft!!!

Yeah, if he reported something in the air like that, then precautions should have been taken. THe aircraft should have come to a complete stop on the runway and pulled to the gate from there.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

That is actually correct, he had indeed reported the problem in the air, landed and was taking the caution to taxi around, unfortunatly the A320 had backed out to far in front of the DC9's path.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

IF this is the same incident that I am thinking of... they had a hydraulic problem with one of the engines and then shut down the wrong engine during taxi as a precaution. They lost all hydraulics including brakes, steering and the ability to reverse the engine.... engines only push when the reverser do not work and the throttles are pushed forward, thus the speed
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I knew this topic sounded familiar. Mario your a tool use the search function, LOL This story is old!

http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtop...&highlight=dc9

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    that ramp looks a little wet to me. in fact, it looks SOAKED. if the taxi speed that i see everyday from NW pilots are what they were taxxing at that day then i wouldn't say it was speeding. however, the wet ramp, hydraulic failure and the mass of the airplane were all contributing factors to that accident in my opinion. i would like to know what the hell caused the hydraulics to fail after the DC-9 was established on the taxiway. and aren't there two systems that power the brakes on douglas airplanes?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I couldn't imagine being a passenger on the flight getting hit by a DC9. Alot of people probably got whiplash
    Jetblue Pilot departure announcement : "We are pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry ...Unfortunately none of them are on this flight...!"