Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPA?

TPA?

I might be heading down to TPA for some spotting.
    Does anyone know of any good spotts that they want to share?
    Thanks
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Top of the parking garage is great to hit 36 departures from either end and there are a few more spots but collura and idle can hand those out.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

any other places around the airport?
    And generaly how are the cops there?

There are a few spots we "locals" use the cops are aware of but sometimes a TPA cop will swing by and ask whats going on. They are pretty used to the idea around there. There are some spots between the old Delta and US hanger but those are on Priv. Property so it can be hit or miss
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

If you have the time would you be able to list directions to the spots around the airport.
    I have been to TPA for spotting last year, but I only spotted on the parking garage.
    Thanks

As hiss srq said there are plenty of spots here in TPA. However the three I frequent the most can be found here on Art Brett's page about TPA...

http://www.photovation.net/Spotting/TPAFSet.htm

Thats a great page with directions and sample photos.

If you ahve anymore questions I'd be happy to answer them.

How are the cops?

they are hit or miss. Around TPA they know about us and such... They do not bug you a whole lot. From the parking garage Collura swears the controllers know him by face lol.

I've been at TPA last summer, at the parking deck. After a couple of hours... 2 cops came up to me and after checking me out they asked me to leave (well, basically told me I couldn't be there). It was nearly time to leave anyway, so I decided not to bother. Is this regular?

no it is not... I have never ran into that issue before to be honest and also as long as you have a car parked there you have every right to be there. Even if that entails you going inside to get a candy bar to justify it as lame as it sounds lol.

Ryan (hiss srq for those playing along) to be honest you've never spotted here in TPA, however you've been with me quite a few times while I shot anyway the cops in TPA are like cops anywhere else, they're gonna push you around until you show that you know your stuff, and that you're not doing anything wrong. Besides, if they saw your ID and saw that you wern't from around here they probably got excited.

What I do, and I know some say you shouldn't have to do this, is call Airport Police and Airport Ops before I go out and I never have a problem. But that's a personal choice. If you'd like I can get those numbers for you, or anyone else interested in TPA.

Correction I have not shot there I have spent planty a time there with and or without you though

When I will shout from the parking lot at TPA, how much lens I have to take?? Cause I only have a 300mm lens (no digital cam!!!) Is it enough?? On photos is looks so huge that I think its not enough.

The reason is we will take a day trip to TPA and have no car to drive arround may be there are some location in walking distance

may be anybody can advise me...

lool .. sorry shot NOT shout ;-)

As stated earlier the parking garage is a good place to shoot from. I used to shoot film and also had a 300mm lens. You should be ok I guess, might be a stretch for some of the smaller planes.