Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying incidents You have been involved in

Flying incidents You have been involved in

Yesterday I sent Idle and Collura home on N914DL the MD-88 that hit the approach lights and pulled a 180 ruptureing the fuel tanks at LGA . That got me thinking (uh oh look out) about how many other people have been on planes that have been involved in minor or major incidents. I was on a Delta 727 (N533DA) in August 1996 going from LGA-to TPA that encountered some issues after the number two engine compressor stalled (common on the 727) and destroyed most of the third stage and all of the fourth stage turbine blades spitting them out to land on some guys driveway in Flushing. We dumped 15K and made a landing at JFK on 13 Right shortly thereafter... The irony of it all was this was about one month after TWA 800 and our flight number was 801. I was with my aunt on this flight and before this my dad was joking with her about our flight number being 801. This actually was a contributing factor to how I became drawn to be a pilot. I have also hit birds a pair of times flying. (bad luck with birds as a pilot)
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Sorry for the shameless plug! For some reason I always remember this MD-80's regi when I hear it. (N914DL):

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5828053

I don't know if I've ever been on an aircraft previously involved in an incident. I don't know if I'd WANT to know, lol.

I was on an AA B757 and we had an aborted T/O at LGA on a rainy day. not much of an incident but a bit scary at the time.
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

2 Pseudo-Incidents:

1. In August 2001 I was on a KLM MD-11 flight from AMS-JFK. We were sitting at the gate when police surrounded the aircraft. We were told there was a "fugitive stowaway" in the cargo hold. We were delayed 2 hours and we were told that no one was found. Also, Dutch police boarded the aircraft and removed a family of 3 of Middle Eastern descent, and 2 members returned on board 30 mins later.

2. FLying from MDW to LGA on an ATA 757-200 in 2003. We took off from Chicago delayed due to weather in the northeast. We were skirting T-storms the whole way, and we circled over Pennsylvania for awhile. We were told that we had to divert to PHL because of the weather and fuel situation. Upon approach there was a birdstrike on the windscreen, and we had a further 3 hour delay. We were allowed to de-plane, and I took a peek in the cockpit. The windscreen was so disgusting!!
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

One Pseudo and one serious.

1. We had a group of 42 guys flying to Montreal out of LGA for a bachelor party. One of our friends came up as "high risk" as the papd said. The snow and rain delayed us for 4 hours. My friend was questioned by the Feds, and our whole flight was almost cancelled as a result, and due to the large party of people. All was sorted out and 4 hours later after a $1,600.00 bar and food bill at Chilli's we were all drunk and took off, though some idiots in the party got some special treatment at customs in Canada.

2. When I was a freshman in College we went to Acapulco for spring break. When departing to return home we took off on Planet Air, charter flight, and lost an engine shortly after takeoff. We had to land back at Acapulco. we were stuck there for 3 days and there were no hotel vacancys anywhere due to the Easter holidays. I ended up staying with a bunch of girls from Texas A&M until I got a flight back to JFK. Thank you again for the help girls! :)
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

Ok, maybe I misunderstood the original question....or was it just totally unclear. Were you asking whether people had been on a plane while an incident occurred, or one that had previously been involved?

eaither or actually. Those who have been onboard one that has had an accident or an incident onboard.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I have a friend who flys for FedEx and she says that the DC-10 where the F/O??? went bezerk with the fire ax still has dents in the cockpit ceiling....

Me and my friend Wilson ^^^ :(
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I havent but I heard a story in which someone flew the same plane that went down as TWA flight 800- he got a picture with the same flight crew that died on that plane, it was the same flight number too, talk about flight to remeber.
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

went opposite direction on downwind for a touch and go at KISP
    Jetblue Pilot departure announcement : "We are pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry ...Unfortunately none of them are on this flight...!"

my sister was supposed to be on PA 103, my mom still has the ticket!

An old friend of mine was supposed to be aboard flight 800 en route to Rome. For whatever reason, his parents switched to a direct flight a couple days before.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I was fortunate to never have any serious incidents in my flying career, just a few minor things, like the time we sucked a bird into an engine during a touch & go in the KC-135. No major damage, but the tower saw some smoke out the back (probably crispy bird bits) so we came around using 3-engine procedures & made a full stop. One time we thought we had a fuel leak from one of the body tanks (turned out to be a bad gage), so we made an early landing with the fire trucks standing by. One other time we had the fire trucks roll when we had huge compressor stall during an alert cartridge start, and had a big flash of fire out the front.

A few similar minor incidents in the T-37 & T-38 where we thought we had some sort of engine issue. Also, once while flying solo while leading a two-ship T-38 formation, my wingman lost radios and I got to lead him back home.

There was one time in the T-37 where I scared myself to the point I thought about ejecting :shock: I was flying solo in the airwork area, doing aerobatics...as a solo student, all you could do was aerobatics, no stalls or spins, etc, just pull G's till you puke :D

I started a loop, airspeed 250kts, pull 5 Gs, up over the top. Only thing was, as the airspeed bled off, I forgot to keep pulling, so instead of making a nice, smooth loop, it just sort of floated over the top. I found myself upside down, with no airspeed (the a/s indicator on the T-37 started at 60kts, and it was off the scale). At that point two thoughts went through my head - I was 500 feet below the top of my airspace block, so ATC wouldn't bust me, and I was at 13,000 feet, so I had plenty of altitude if I had to punch out. I released the stick & unloaded the wing, kicked some rudder to roll upright, and lowered the nose to build airspeed. I spent the rest of the time flying border patrol until I was at bingo fuel, then flew back to a full stop.

my sister was supposed to be on PA 103, my mom still has the ticket!
    You think its possible to get a picture of that, it would deffinatly be a sight to see.
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.