Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Recommendation: Do Not Visit Costco Until Further Notice

Forgot to add this but the other day I stopped qucikly at the FishMarket next to Costco to get a shot of the Korean Air Cargo 747-400F and I noticed a Nassau County Police car come into Costco and drive by the usual spot and then pull out.

Pretty sure he was checking for spotters.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Is there any type of update regarding the status of costco?
    As of now there is no new news. If you must shoot in Costco just use good sense. If you are approached by law enforcement tell them exactly what you are doing. If asked to leave do so, don't go inside and start a pissing contest about who you are or the fisherman or whatever with management. If it is a busy day try to park somewhere that doesn't interfere with patrons.

I noticed a Nassau County Police car come into Costco and drive by the usual spot and then pull out.

Pretty sure he was checking for spotters.
    I doubt it, NCPD drives through there all the time. We had one drive right by us in Firestone and he just kept going. They are not out to get us but they will try to deter us if the phone calls keep increasing and they may revert back to the imaginary laws against photography again so stand up for your rights in a civil manner and comply with their wishes until something is worked out.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

We I'll stay away from costco for the time being since there is no update on the area in regards to the manager. But in all seriousness, if everyone here as a group, if we were to have a group spearker ( if you want to call it that) and ask the "head" of JFK airport for a tour, or ground access near the touchdown areas. Do you still think we would be denied? B/c it would be simialr to LGA's kid's day.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Quote Originally Posted by nikon50bigma
    We I'll stay away from costco for the time being since there is no update on the area in regards to the manager. But in all seriousness, if everyone here as a group, if we were to have a group spearker ( if you want to call it that) and ask the "head" of JFK airport for a tour, or ground access near the touchdown areas. Do you still think we would be denied? B/c it would be simialr to LGA's kid's day.
    I honestly don't think there is a very high chance of that happening. In Europe and Australia things are a little less tight security wise which is why you see the tours going on at Zurich and Melbourne but considering how tight security is I doubt it could happen.

It is always worth a shot though.

Now is it safe to go to costco?
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

What's the latest on Costco?
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

Well next time I go to JFK, I'll stop in Costco-to shoot-, since I'm a paying member.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

I've been to JFK three times in the last two months and have stayed away from Costco and instead spotted from Firestone.

I have only spotted from Costco once or twice but I find Firestone a great spot because the planes are at a better angle (in my opinion) and you can see what is coming as well as 31L arrivals.

There is a police sub station by Firestone but after one visit we were not bothered again.

Come spring and summer the light will change but I don't know how much it will effect the spot.

I was at Costco on Sunday for a while, no hassles but then again we didn't venture out of the car it was so cold!

[/quote]

I honestly don't think there is a very high chance of that happening. In Europe and Australia things are a little less tight security wise which is why you see the tours going on at Zurich and Melbourne but considering how tight security is I doubt it could happen.

It is always worth a shot though.[/quote]

You can rest assured security at European and Australian airports are on a level with the USA, if not better!

The difference is attitude towards spotters and airliner photographers.
    The authorities realize the difference between an enthusiast, (and make some effort to accommodate those with a harmless interest in the airport and airliners), and terrorists!

Having said that, Friday, and Sunday, made two trips to JFK (800 miles of driving!), and managed to spot inside the airport complex for a total of 8 hours without a confrontation! It feels like the folks at JFK are becoming more tolerant of the enthusiast community. And that has to be a good sign!!

Geoff
    For Providence area information I am your man!

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by pinktristar
    Having said that, Friday, and Sunday, made two trips to JFK (800 miles of driving!), and managed to spot inside the airport complex for a total of 8 hours without a confrontation! It feels like the folks at JFK are becoming more tolerant of the enthusiast community. And that has to be a good sign!!

Geoff
    I think you should chalk it up to pure luck. Nothing more.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]