Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation: Do Not Visit Costco Until Further Notice

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Even if 31's aren't in use today I'll drive by Costco to see if I see any fisherman
    Why? The fisherman are not our concern. Nor is the fact they were not asked to leave or have been. Let's not get into a "why are they allowed and we aren't" thing. It is counterproductive and gets us nowhere.

We should also remember that Costco much like other spots is not our personal spotting location and we should be considerate of Costco and it's customers. I advise that we shouldn't go there in a big group when they are at peak periods. I know for some weekends are the only time to shoot but please remember that this is a parking lot for people shopping in Costco. Hopefully if Mike can get us the ok to shoot there we should think about this before you shoot there and consider other locations if the parking lot is very busy. Maybe even just moving to the other side of the lot where it is less crowded. It is a little tougher shooting but not taking up spots from patrons. Always remember we can explain to Costco all we want about our hobby but in their eyes we are basically loitering.

Thanks again to Mike or his efforts. Let's hope he is successful.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Even if 31's aren't in use today I'll drive by Costco to see if I see any fisherman
    Why? The fisherman are not our concern. Nor is the fact they were not asked to leave or have been. Let's not get into a "why are they allowed and we aren't" thing. It is counterproductive and gets us nowhere.

We should also remember that Costco much like other spots is not our personal spotting location and we should be considerate of Costco and it's customers. I advise that we shouldn't go there in a big group when they are at peak periods. I know for some weekends are the only time to shoot but please remember that this is a parking lot for people shopping in Costco. Hopefully if Mike can get us the ok to shoot there we should think about this before you shoot there and consider other locations if the parking lot is very busy. Maybe even just moving to the other side of the lot where it is less crowded. It is a little tougher shooting but not taking up spots from patrons. Always remember we can explain to Costco all we want about our hobby but in their eyes we are basically loitering.

Thanks again to Mike or his efforts. Let's hope he is successful.
    Nick, I was reffering to Tommy's comment about if he takes the same attitude towards the fisherman as he did us.

Nick, I was reffering to Tommy's comment about if he takes the same attitude towards the fisherman as he did us
    Granted but again what does that matter? The fisherman are not involved in this and if we take the path of using the fisherman as some sort of leverage to say why are they allowed to fish and we are not allowed to shoot we are run the risk of having this guy say we can never shoot there. Again this is not a founder's plaza or some other observation deck. It is a parking lot. This manager for whatever reason got a bee in his bonnet about us so let us find out exactly why and try to fix it (What Mike is doing) There is no reason to do anything else.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick if the Fisherman are allowed to stay that is clearly a discriminatory move towards us by either the manager or the NCPD plain and simple. If you're going to ban non customer's from using your parking lot then it has to be all non customers not just some. Let me remind you COSTCO is a publicly traded company and their policies have to be consistent when their managers deal with the public.

I agree with you 100% Tommy, however I think the easiest "fix" for Costco - should they percieve we are being "aggressive" with them about a discriminatory practice, would be to simply kick out the fishermen (if they haven't already).

To be honest, as unfair as it may be to us, I'd rather not get the fishermen thrown out too. (assuming they haven't been already as well).

[I admit it did irritate me though when Port *seemed* to allow dirt bikers along Rockaway Blvd and not us though...]

I'm not sure Costco (and other private property areas) would really be too enthusiastic to find out their property is actually an "advertised" spotting location. (I could be wrong about that, but I just don't see what's in it for them...especially since we're a land of excessive litigation)

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I agree with Tommy and Tom, BUT being aggressive now, getting into discrimination and the fisherman situations should not be an option right now. Let the Holiday pass. Let Mike speak to the manager. In February if there are Fisherman there and spotters are not allowed then you can get into that if you want. Let it cool down. I spotted from the street yesterday for a bit, right on Rockaway blvd. It's a good time to explore some other possible locations for spotting, who knows maybe there are better or just as good spots out there. We went to BK yesterday and I spoke with Rich the manager to tell him what we were doing, he was real cool and had no problems with it, not to say another manager would be cool with it, or the PD. We can always break out the camo gear and hide in the swamp off of snake road on Brookville to catch 22L and 22R.
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

I'm not saying break out the discrimination card, I'm simply pointing out that as a publicly traded company COSTCO has to be consistent with its approach to the pubic. I say we all buy one share of COSTCO stock, then let him try to kick us out, LOL ;)

I hear you Tommy. I have a Costco card. We'll head there next week Tommy, we'll buy up all their water and drink it in the parking lot while we shoot. lol
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

We were all joking about getting cards Saturday. Hey paying customers!
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Steve's recount of the incident pretty much summed it up. We were told by an employee that the new manager didn't want us there and would call NCPD if we remained. He gave us the name Adam, and when we went in to speak with Adam, he was not working at the time (which leads me to believe this employee was either on a power trip or just trying to pawn off the responsibility of the situation to someone else at Costco - either way something didn't smell right to me). After a long wait, we finally spoke with Dan and Andrew's dad did most of the talking. I agree that Dan's attitude did a complete 180 midway through the conversation and it didn't seem like he had any problem with us being there, but was concerned about the police and customer complaints. Dan seemed like a nice guy and reasonable, but the situation carries some heat unfortunately, especially if any NCPD or authorities get involved. I agree with Phil in that it would seem to cause more harm to our reputation if people returned there and aggravated the situation. Also keep in mind that surrounding the busy holiday travel season and with the recent demise of the Al-Queda leader, terror alerts and tensions are high all around. Perhaps the situation will cool off with a little bit of time, we can only hope. Until then, I agree that there are plenty of other places to spot from that won't cause this kind of commotion and we should take advantage of them (once again, not telling anyone what to do, but this is what I'm going to do and would recommend to others).

By the way, when I arrived at Cross Bay Blvd at HoBe, there were two NYPD vehicles in the lot across the street. I was in plain view of them the whole time taking photos and they never came over. Guess it's the luck of the draw.

On a more positive note, I got to test out the new Sony DSC-H5 and got some pretty good shots of the TAM A300 in orange colors, the Delta 777 departing to Atlanta, among others. I had a great time, especially meeting up with Steve, Andrew, and Chris, and I'm gonna go out to some other spots this coming weekend.
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Guys,

I think the main problem is that most of the locals shoot from the location almost across from the main entrance to Costco. Why not shooting from end of the parking lot where all the semi's park? If you want some crazy nose-on shots you can get them from BK parking lot. If you want side on shots you can get great pictures from the rear of Costco's parking lot.

Just adding my 2c.

Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

I think the main problem is that most of the locals shoot from the location almost across from the main entrance to Costco. Why not shooting from end of the parking lot where all the semi's park? If you want some crazy nose-on shots you can get them from BK parking lot. If you want side on shots you can get great pictures from the rear of Costco's parking lot.

I advised this before, many here complain about the wires and such. I think we should move around more. There are so many good spots out there.

I checked out what was up at Costco on my way out around 4 and the parking lot was pretty empty, especially over by the water.

I was talking to my dad about how shooting from behind might also be a good idea like what Nick said.

Quote Originally Posted by tipek
    Guys,

Just adding my 2c.

Rafal
    The one time I've been out for spotting at JFK (I really need to get out more!), that's where I went, since I didn't know where the "popular" spot was. There are wires that are kind of annoying, but it is possible to get shots without them (see my shots from June 11). It is a more "out of the way" spot in the lot.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Well I'm happy the BK manager is cool with us there. I'm one of the few who love the angle they come at near BK. Plus the fence is a great shelter from the cold winter winds. I still remember over the summer being there and this boat pulls up and this dude crawls under the fence grabs some BK and off he goes in his boat. You never now what you'll see there. lol