Thread: WN @ LGA or Any NYC Airport- How would it affect NYC?

WN @ LGA or Any NYC Airport- How would it affect NYC?

Hey guys:

Recently WN has expressed intrest in DL's LGA slots and even though some fellow people on this site like myself like DL, but It would be pretty interesting to wonder how would it effect NYC, and WN for that matter, as it would be the first NYC airport they would have revenue flights to. Soo heres my question - even if WN decided they wanted JFK insted, how would it effect WN its self, an airline that flys into most non-congested airports. How would it also effect New Yorkers if WN was to finally fly into the NYC area.

---> I personally think that WN would change air travel for many New Yorkers and bring an even nicer profit to WN..
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Let me quote Mike Boyd

One oft-heard comment is that it would be the perfect opportunity for Southwest.

News Flash: From a distance, and to the uninformed, the Delta and the US Airways Shuttles may look attractive, but up close they're operationally as ugly as Pet Rocks. As far as WN goes, Air Zimbabwe has more in common with Southwest than either of these Shuttle operations. swshuttle.JPG (12207 bytes)

Southwest lives on high utilization and operating within as low an operational cost environment as possible. And when they do find it necessary to enter higher-cost markets, such as Denver, Philadelphia, and Washington/Dulles, they can offset some of those costs by cross-feeding new passenger revenue throughout their existing route system.

These Shuttle operations don't even get within a zip code of the Southwest template, and even in the likely event they could be purchased on a turn-key basis, they would be a financial hiccup for Southwest. What some of these analysts miss, is that these Shuttles offer abominable aircraft utilization, obscene sector costs due to ATC and other issues, and traffic flows that are highly irregular throughout the day.

Furthermore, either Shuttle operation would likely be available only on a turn-key basis - with airplanes, facilities, equipment, and employees all in one big happy package. A package that would offer little or no incremental operational synergies to the purchaser.

Add to this recipe the fact that the revenue streams are almost entirely point-to-point, with no incremental cross-feed possible, and the conclusion is that acquiring a fleet of Beech-99s to operate a crop-dusting operation in North Dakota would make only slightly less sense for Southwest than buying one of these Shuttles.
    WN isn't going anywhere near LGA.

WN isn't going anywhere near LGA
    Thats what many people said about WN going to LGA or
    DEN- I still got somewhat hope though.
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Quote Originally Posted by N790SW
    WN isn't going anywhere near LGA
    Thats what many people said about WN going to LGA or
    DEN- I still got somewhat hope though.
    What are you saying? WN isn't in LGA? DEN isn't delay proned as LGA is.

WN will never touch LGA with a ten foot pole let alone debate flying here. I do not want to see them there or at JFK either. I do not think they would do well there anyhow.... There is more of a high clas product going out of LGA as far as biz travelers etc etc..... People with frequent flyer program miles looking for first class upgrades off of the airline tickets they did not pay for anyway because there company does that for them.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    WN will never touch LGA with a ten foot pole let alone debate flying here. I do not want to see them there or at JFK either. I do not think they would do well there anyhow.... There is more of a high clas product going out of LGA as far as biz travelers etc etc..... People with frequent flyer program miles looking for first class upgrades off of the airline tickets they did not pay for anyway because there company does that for them.
    Ryan the argument about LGA having a more high class product is merit less. like other airlines biz travelers are WN's break and butter. The percentage of business travelers who fly biz class or first class is small simple based on capacity. If WN wanted to do JFK they'd clean up but with both JFK and LGA being some of the most delayed prone airports in the nation you won't see them there.

I have heard directly from few WN workers "look for SWA at JFK within 2 years" dont ask me the how, why and who's, but I have heard it repeatedly from other workers at SWA.

SWA has ATA at LGA for now and EWR won't happen because of CO.

Ryan- WN makes most of its money from business travelers like Tom pointed out, people are getting sick and tired of delays and not being able to use their miles sometimes, so they just buy SWA, for cheap prices, get a good coach product and a very nice and quick way to earn free tickets without the perks. Not everyone feels that way though which is understandable.

In faxt quite a large percentage of WN's passengers are Business folks, fly a few short routes, such as STL-MDW, DAL-HOU, oh my god I flew DAL-HOU and every, single, passenger except me was a business person, I couldn't believe it. All in suits, with papers, and palm pilots and such.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

WN missed a good chance at JFK and JetBlue stepped in. Apart from the late afternoon/early evening push, the delays there are not so pronounced...and they (and everyone else) missed a great opportunity to develop EWR... its all Continental now...

Still I wouldn't count SW out from one way or another showing up at one of these three airports at some point down the road.....

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I'm sure Alex would know better then me but I have heard some speculation about Southwest coming to SWF?

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    I'm sure Alex would know better then me but I have heard some speculation about Southwest coming to SWF?
    SWF, TLH and PNS are rumored strongly to be next but not for awhile, because SWA doesn't plan to add any cities in 2007. But we shall see.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!