Thread: Remember Pearl Harbor

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Remember Pearl Harbor

Let us today remember the men who died and those who survived the attack on Pearl Harbor. A war started because of Japan's desire to take China for themselves and their alliance with Nazi Germany. Japan knew the US would not stand for this and attacked us on that morning. Our men fought bravely both on the ground and in the air. We took heavy losses that day but in the end we triumphed. I will probably not make it to FRG today but I did last year and it was great. It was freezing cold but I got some pics but most importantly got the chance to meet two Pearl Harbor veterans, both of which I shook their hands and thanked them for their contribution to this land we live in. A land we can walk the streets freely, and voice our opinions, get a job and start a family. With much opportunity. Something that many other countries don't enjoy. I heard Fred may have been going and I hope he can one of the vets the same because I for one appreciate what they did as 18 year olds in the 40's for this country.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Just got back to the office after spending the morning at the ceremony at FRG. Very moving - there were 5 or 6 Pearl Harbor survivors. I'll have some pix up shortly.

Can't wait to see them Moose! Was Fred there? I bet it was moving, I felt a lot of pride when I spoke to the two veterans last year. When you figure they were barely adults when they had to deal with the attack and how brave they all fought to defend us you realize these men are special. We all owe them a vote of thanks.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Looking forward to those photos. Just saw some local news coverage.

If you can, shake a Vet's hand today and thank them.
    ANd, for God's sake, don't watch that wretched piece of celluloid garbage they call "Pearl Harbor" ;)

Tora Tora TOra is much more appropriate.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

As you can imagine Disney would love to re-write history as they see it. I found it very difficult to watch that disgusting movie. On the other hand, I once read that Tora Tora Tora cost more money to make that the actual monitary losses of the attack on Pearl Harbor!

In 2005 I finally fulfilled one of my childhood dreams and went to Hawaii and was able to spend a few hours at Pearl Harbor museum and went to the Arizona Memorial. I could have spent DAYS there. Every American should visit there at least once in their lifetime.

Remember that free speech wasn't born on a college campus! Thank a veteran!

Here's a bunch from today, just a quick edit job in the office:

The boys from Brookhaven were there with their big toys:

The folks from Bayport also sent some biplanes:

Some of the many veterans in attendance - the guys in the brown jackets are members of the VFW, the light blue are from the NYS chapter of the Korean War Veterans:

Some of the Pearl Harbor survivors in attendance:

US Navy chaplain blessing the roses which would later be dropped at the Statue of Liberty:

Near the end of the ceremony, they read the names of Pearl Harbor survivors who passed away in the past year, and rang this bell in honor of each:

US Navy honor guard carried the roses out to the T-6 which would be used for the drop at the Statue of Liberty. One of the survivors sprayed them with water taken from the site of the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor:

As the two T-6s left for the Statue of Liberty, they made a low, smoky fly-by:

Great pictures Moose!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Great job Moose! Glad you were in those mens' prescence. It made me feel proud last year when I was there and I was not happy I had to work today. Glad you got there. I happened upon this while I was surfin today. This is what FDR had to say when he asked for the declaration of way the following day.

"Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, members of the Senate and the House of Representatives:

Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation, and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its government and its Emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in the American island of Oahu, the Japanese Ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to our Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. And, while this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or of armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time the Japanese Government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. I regret to tell you that very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday the Japanese Government also launched an attack against Malaya. Last night Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong. Last night Japanese forces attacked Guam. Last night Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands. Last night the Japanese attacked Wake Island. And this morning the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has therefore undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense, that always will our whole nation remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people, in their righteous might, will win through to absolute victory.

I believe that I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph. So help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire."

Great stuff moose! Skytypers were on the deck! I was told you had to wait a while for some smoke to clear!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    I was told you had to wait a while for some smoke to clear!
    Ya think?

Dec 7 is a big day of the year for me, and I am happy to see that there was a ceremony at FRG for it. Some great pics you got there, too.

The best stuff about these great men were already said, so I'll leave it at that.

RIP to all those who were lost that day and to all who have passed since.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Good stuff...... My family took a trip to Pearl Harbor this year and it was really an experince..... I am not raicest by any means but I did take offense to the massive presence of Japanese tourists who were there taking touristy pictures smileing in front of the wreck etc etc...... That is not the place nor time for it. Kind of a slap to the face..... I got pretty vexed over it all......
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"