Thread: Nose Wheel Numbers

Nose Wheel Numbers

As with any other aviation enthusiast, you're always willing to find out the registration of the airplane you're on when you're traveling. In some cases, that's not possible, to the point where you can't get a good glance at the registration because there are no windows, or it's nighttime.

I had a similar situation aboard an American 777-223 (ER). Unfortunately, I could not get a good look at the number both at the departure airport or the arrival airport. Fortunately, there was a plaque at the rear of the airplane that read, "Nose No. (Hard to distinguish text) Tail No. (Completely indistinguishable text)". I gave up. A couple seconds after I settled in my seat, a friendly flight attendant came and said, "7HW". That was obviously the tail number. Is there a way to find out the registration of an airplane by the tail number, or is there a place to look it up? As always, I appreciate all comments.

I've flown on a few BA 747s where the reg number (e.g. G-BNLN, etc.) had been hand-scrawled on a panel next to a door with a black marker. Found it surprising that at a big company like BA, they couldn't be bothered to at least get a label printer or something more professional-looking. Maybe a Willie Walsh cost-saving measure?

I'm not sure but most Boeing aircraft have the manufactures plaque over the front door of the plane that includes the regi. I usually look just to satisfy Alex when he texts me a million times to see the regi of my plane. LOL

according to JP airline fleets 7HW isn't a fleetnumber. only 7A*, 7B* and 7CA are. 7AW is N789AN, 7BW is N761AJ

So I guess the attendant read it wrong. I'll review some of the photos I took of the aircraft, and see if I can find any other distinguishing marks. Thanks for all the comments.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Actually she read it right....perhaps you heard "7 A W"?

On our last flight on an AA 777, we asked the FA the same question and the pilot gave the answer. "7BR"

I then went online and forget how I found it, but I found it nonetheless.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

these are ship numbers in the fleet if I am not mistaken. In certain USExpress fleets we use a set of 3 letters for each airplane.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Ok, I just got a photo of the plane at night at the terminal. Luckily, I got the nose number in there. It definetely looks like either "78W" or "7BW", but since there's no "78W", I'm assuming it's "7BW".

That means it was N761AJ. Thanks to everyone who helped me on this "mini-mystery". :)

JRadier, where did you get that info on JP.net?

Quote Originally Posted by Nonstop2AUH
    I've flown on a few BA 747s where the reg number (e.g. G-BNLN, etc.) had been hand-scrawled on a panel next to a door with a black marker. Found it surprising that at a big company like BA, they couldn't be bothered to at least get a label printer or something more professional-looking. Maybe a Willie Walsh cost-saving measure?
    Hmm. I've been on a few BA 74s and on the 4 doors at least there was a formal placard stating the regi.

-Will
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I'm not sure but most Boeing aircraft have the manufactures plaque over the front door of the plane that includes the regi. I usually look just to satisfy Alex when he texts me a million times to see the regi of my plane. LOL
    Good boy! :D :D

*throws tom a treat*

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung

JRadier, where did you get that info on JP.net?
    JP Airline Fleets is a book ;). See buchair.ch for more info

If you decide to buy JP fleet dont buy it on CD. I buy their books from airways magazine each year but this year I went with the CD. Big mistake. Its easy to find stuff but thats about it. Book is much better.

Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

You can see what I was talking about to the left of the door (i.e. over the guy's right shoulder), this is G-BNLE apparently and yes, that is handwritten on the panel in blue ink...

[/img]

AA uses a system where the Reg # doesn't match the ship #. They arent the only airline to do so . Generally speaking when an airline has several hundred aircraft , some of which may not have sequential reg numbers They will use a nose or ship number. In some cases , the airline's operating system does not support more than a 3 digit ship number , therefore a mix of letters and numbers is used , or in USAirways express does - a 3 letter code is used. AA and US currently both use SABRE which has this restriction

Here's a pic of the AA 737-800 "Astrojet" Notice the ship # on the nose gear door
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1151380/L/

Here's a T7
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1013827/L/