Thread: Any Spotting this weekend 12/9-12/10?

Any Spotting this weekend 12/9-12/10?

Hi All-

I know it's bitter cold out now, but I was curious if anyone was heading out to JFK or LGA this weekend. I just got a new camera (Sony DSC-H5) and wanted to see how it performs.

Andy
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

I'll probably be out this weekend--not sure which day yet, though.

I might also be out Friday, weather providing.

-Will
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

Unfortunately I am working on Friday during the day, but let me know if you make it out over the weekend and I'll join you. I'm very curious to see this puppy in action!

I am thinking about going out to take some photos this weekend. I will probably go to Lagaurdia because I do not have a car and do not know if it is even feasible to make it to the spots at JFK. If I can find a way to the spots around JFK I will go there. Does anyone know if the bus goes by the Costco? If it does then I would love to go there to see some 747's and a340's. I have been to Lagaurdia twice and there is not much variation in the planes that come there, but I have gotten some great shots. Any information about public transportation would be very helpful. Thanks!

if you make it to JFK by bus let me know the route b/c i would have to take mass transit to get there
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

JFK is not as easy to get to by public transportation (i.e. MTA) as LGA, but it certainly is possible for a few spots.

Costco
    Best option: A train to Far Rockaway (note: on weekends through Dec.18th, the MTA is doing service work and shuttle buses replace the A train from Beach 90th-Far Rockaway; see: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/subsrvna.htm) and then walk two blocks and transfer to the Q113 bus (bus stop is right in front of the Queens/Rockaway Public Library). Q113 bus ride takes about 20 minutes.

Alternative: E, J, Z to Jamaica Center, transfer to Q113 bus outside of station. Bus ride is closer to 30 minutes.

Mounds
    Either A train to Far Rock or E, J, Z to Jamaica will work. I think taking the A is faster, but that will largely depend where you're coming from (although you could transfer to the A at Broadway Junction). For the Mounds, you can also take the Q111 bus from Jamaica.

To get to the Mounds from Costco, take the Q113. To get to Costco from the Mounds, ONLY the Q113 will work. The Q111 goes elsewhere.

For reference, the Queens bus map is here: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf

Burger King and Wendy's are as easily accessible as Costco. I'm not sure about the other locations in the area. I also do not know of any feasible way to get to the cargo area for 13L.

Be sure that you are going to and from a spotting location(s) while it's still light out. You do not want to be doing this when it's dark out.

I'd be glad to answer any questions. AirbusA350XWB may also be able to help; we're both quite seasoned at going to JFK via MTA.

-Will

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    Yes, but they specifically wanted to know how to get to JFK spots by public transportation, which those maps don't include.

-Will

Xmas shopping this weekend. Doubt I'll be out.

I'm up for spotting on Sunday. Anyone else?

-Will

Re: Any Spotting this weekend 12/9-12/10?

[quote="kc2aqg"]Hi All-

I just got a new camera (Sony DSC-H5) and wanted to see how it performs.

Andy, congrats on the H5, I have been shooting with the H1 since April and while it has many imperfections I really Love it ! Once you get comfortable with the camera the key is to shoot everything in Manual mode, only way you will get any kind of real quality shots. Forgive the shameless plug but here are two shots that I think are not DSLR quality but fairly close fron the H1 in manual mode.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5841128

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5863102

Best of luck with your new camera Andy

LGA777

Thanks LGA777! I'm really looking forward to shooting with it. Thanks for the manual mode tip, I'm sure it's going to take a lot of getting used to. Having owned a Sony point-and-shoot for a long time, I can say that I love it and I'm sure I'll be happy with the H5.

As for spotting this weekend, I am really sorry that I didn't make it out like I planned. I ended up getting into an oil change disaster with my new Jeep and what should have taken an hour turned into the whole weekend (Chrysler screwed the oil filter on so tight it practically had to be destroyed to get it off!)

One of these weekends I will make it out. I hope anybody who went had a great time! Next time I'll post my cell# so I can get in touch with y'all.

I wouldn't recomend posting it, PM it to people instead. Your posts can be viewed by anybody in the world, mabye even an ex ;)
    nwa FOREVER!

An excellent point. Thanks for the reminder, I'll do things that way :)