Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JFK heavies

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Some guy came out and said the "new" manager wanted us to leave or the police would be called.... We stayed about another 20 minutes and decided to leave because the light sucked anyhow but I think Mike M. made a call to solve that issue.
    Like Tommy asked, were you over by the water or somewhere else in the parking lot?

by the water same old spot as usual
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

well I have spotted at JFK once it was only by the mounds but that was back in April, Could someone describe the costco area- where you are shotting from there, are you on a peir w/ the fishermen?
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Costco, just like evey other spot in the NYC airports carries a certain level of risk. Some more than others. Thats just how things are here. Any place where people can see you can almost guarantee you a meeting with enforcment at some point down the line. The thing about Costco is that since the lcoals spend so much time there that some of the customers are used to seeing us. But it takes just one I'll informed person to ruine your day. As others have stated Costco is hit or miss. Sometimes you don't get harrassed sometimes you do, sometimes its a pleasant experience and sometimes not. Its the luck of the draw. Costco has occasionally been a place for under cover officers to keep an eye out. Myself and another photog have had some experience with them 2 times at Costco.
    Someone mentioned the "D" Word..Detainment it happens once in a while not often though. I hope those days are behind us now.

Senga

Do you think its still possible to be detained?
    But by the terd "shady" I ment is it a bad neighborhood?
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Quote Originally Posted by nikon50bigma
    Do you think its still possible to be detained?
    But by the terd "shady" I ment is it a bad neighborhood?
    Costco is not in a shady area at all.

Another good spot towards the end of the day is Burger King which is right near Costco.

However both places are private property so it would be wise to listen to what they say. Burger King has been very friendly in the past.

As has been stated, we were in the usual spot, and we were explicitly asked to leave by a Costco representative, who told us that it was private property and that the "new store manager" did not want us there. He said that they were ready to call "Nassau" (i.e., Nassau P.D.) to assist with getting us to leave. In all my time shooting at Costco, this is the first time that a Costco representative has asked us to leave. I just hope this is not the beginning of a trend.

Maybe the "New Represenative" isn't familair with the hobby?
    This isn't a good sign... I would hope some of the workers there would bring this person up to speed as to what goes on.
    Senga

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Well by Mike M do you mean Mike McLaughin? As I have said before usually the big groups at this spot are going to attract the most attention but it's like anything else. We lasted 2 hours at the IKEA lot at EWR today and that is unheard of and when the police asked us to leave he was quite understanding and let us know that is was IKEA that wanted us to leave so you just leave and let things die down. I suggest we take this approach and try not to go back there with a big group for a little while because if this is in fact a new manager with an axe to grind we can say goodbye to that spot forever.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick did you run into any problems today at EWR?
    Did you manage to get the NWA A330?
    The last thing Mario said was you guys were gonna do a "suicide run" :)
    Senga

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    I suggest we take this approach and try not to go back there with a big group for a little while because if this is in fact a new manager with an axe to grind we can say goodbye to that spot forever.
    I think that's exactly right...

Quote Originally Posted by jakbar
    In all my time shooting at Costco, this is the first time that a Costco representative has asked us to leave. I just hope this is not the beginning of a trend.
    I've never been over there, but being that it's Christmas, it might be because parking spots are scarce.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Nick did you run into any problems today at EWR?
    Did you manage to get the NWA A330?
    The last thing Mario said was you guys were gonna do a "suicide run"
    No not really like I said IKEA was great and I think I we made a record being there for almost two hours without incident. We screwed the dog on the NW A330. We though we had some time when you said it was in a holding pattern but when we were driving to the spot to shoot it we saw it coming in and we tried to stop right where we were but power lines and less than perfect lighting made it a total bullocks. I am hoping the guys don't steal the term 'suicide" It is reserved for my spot at Rockaway! :mrgreen:

I think that's exactly right...
    Wow Josh we have agreed twice this year we are on a roll! I think Matt raised a good point. The fact it's Christmas week and a weekend may have played a role. Makes sense since I go there alone during the week and never get hassled except for a stray PO who checks me and leaves. At this point let's see if Mike M can smooth things out and lay low. I should be at JFK Wed depending on runways I will stop in there and scope it out. If anyone else attempts to shoot there before give us a update.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

If 31R is in use on Monday I'll be at Costco, I'll keep you guys posted on what happens when I get back.

It seems (no confirmation) one of the customers complained/made comments to an employee(s) and it got back to the (new) store manager. Since he's not familar with "us" he sent a worker out asking the group to leave. I spoke to my brother-in-law (ex Mgr at our Costco, now at a different location) and he said the new guy is an alright guy. I'll try to work this out. Maybe meet up with him and buy lunch :) Hopefully it shouldn't be a problem.

Mike