Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JFK heavies

FROM 3 TO 6PM JFK GETS REALLY BUSY

How is the spot near costco, I have read the thing about costco in the "spotting areas". But from personal experience how is the costco area? Do alot of people stare and become suspicious ?
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

It is pretty good. Got back from there a few hours ago. I OWNED a Dash-8 in great light and will post later.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Costco is a great place to spot, been there many times. If you are around on the water side, with the fishermen, no one pays much attention to you. If you are around the other side of the building, you may get a few looks, and I've had the police called a couple of times, but NCPD in the area are getting used to us, so they usually just check us out and let us stay.

The side where the water is, is much better then the other sie. The other side you have power lines to deal with and for the most part you can get a boring side profile shot. One the waterside you can get a nice coming at you shot which does a nice job of showing the lines of the plane. As Josh May puts it Costocesq shots, lol

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Costco is nice and if you go there on a regular basis you will get a police visit. Just show your ID and tell them exactly what you are doing and they go on their way. I don't know if you have car but the lot across the street near Pizza Hut is much better. Only thing is you have to shoot at first light very early. If you position yourself right you can get great light effects. I shot this there a little while back.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1122750/L/

Tommy has been chased from there but I never have had a problem. Again carry your ID and just act normal. Also the parking lot at the Firestone just east of costco is good too but you have to catch the light right and you have less room for error because of power lines. You have less time to snap the pic before the power lines are in the way. I got this there. I think it's nicer than the costco angle you get.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0973730/L/

I have gotten approached there too. Once from a civilian who was a complete dick. I shot him a dirty look and gave him a nasty answer and he left, NCPD arrived shortly and were fine. Again just be honest and show your ID.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

when the police ask what I am doing what do I tell them?
    I know this might be a ridicilous questions but I just don't want the encounter to turn out to be something worse thatn it would usually be.
    Do the fishermen ever say anything?

Just be honest if approached by the police. Let them know that this is a hobby that you enjoy, whether you are an aviation enthusiast, photographer, etc. The worst thing you can do is lie to the boys in blue. As long as you are straight with them, the worst thing they can do (if you are on private property) is ask you to leave. If you are in a public park, they can't even legally do that. Depending on who shows up, they may try to intimidate you, telling you it's illegal to take photos of aircraft ("Since 9/11..." is a favorite tactic). There are no such laws, especially concerning civil aircraft.

Take a look at the Spotter Blotter forum. I've had a number of encounters, and for the most part they have gone well. Be honest, polite and professional with the police, and they will normally do the same.

thanks, I might be going therw with my freind who is Albanian do you think they might exploit that?
    Even if I tell them the truth is their a possiblity they might bring me down to the station?

I am Albanian and they certainly do not mess with me but than again I usually keep my badges on me so yeah but if a cop brought your freind to the station on that basis I would be there bring he double hockey sticks on those morons....
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Is the costco spot ok at around 3pm (lighting wise)?
    And is it a shady neighborhood?

Its okay the new manager tried to chase us out today but that is another story quite funny actually. The whole part of being Shqiptar is not an issue though

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Its okay the new manager tried to chase us out today but that is another story quite funny actually. The whole part of being Shqiptar is not an issue though
    Ryan where were you when they tried to chase you out? Also what do you mean "tried?" Did they make you leave or were you able to stay? The full story would be nice for the rest of the group being all of use Costco. Its my expirence when you are along the edge near the water they leave you be with the fisherman.

I(Jakub) use a 10D! :o A CANON 10D

Some guy came out and said the "new" manager wanted us to leave or the police would be called.... We stayed about another 20 minutes and decided to leave because the light sucked anyhow but I think Mike M. made a call to solve that issue.