Thread: Thunderbirds for Jones Beach 2007

Thunderbirds for Jones Beach 2007

The Thunderbirds have been scheduled for this years show!! Memorial day weekend. Let the chatting begin! Thanks for the big heads up on the info from Dave Schultz and crew.
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    where will they base the airplanes? are the runways at FRG long enough? i shoudl of course know whit but seeing as i only fly airplanes needing less than 3000' i rarely remember these things. aside from FRG, could they base the airplanes at Gabreski seeing as they already have ANG faciliies?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Niiiiiiicceeee!!!! Here we go again.

Last time the T-birds were in town, they were based at JFK I believe. The runways at FRG aren't long enough, and since their planes and the runways haven't changed in the past two years, Im pretty sure it will be the same drill. :D
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

From what I heard each year it goes between the two. Personally I think the Thunderbirds are head over heels better then the Blue Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan
    Last time the T-birds were in town, they were based at JFK I believe. The runways at FRG aren't long enough, and since their planes and the runways haven't changed in the past two years, Im pretty sure it will be the same drill. :D
    Yes, they were at JFK last time, but I don't think it's because of the runway length at FRG. I remember a number of years ago (5+) when the Thunderbirds brought their F-16s into FRG.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    From what I heard each year it goes between the two. Personally I think the Thunderbirds are head over heels better then the Blue Angels.
    Yeah, that seems to be the plan, alternating the two teams. As an old Air Force guy, I'm partial to the 'Birds too, but let me tell you something. Back when I was in school and would get to an airshow, I was always amazed at what all these teams could do - I've seen the Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, Snowbirds, Red Arrows, and Frecce Tricolori at various times, and was always thrilled by their shows. Then I went into USAF pilot training, and got to fly a bunch of formation in the T-38. Now I watch these teams and think "But you can't do that with an airplane" :shock:

LOL That would be sweet.. Watching a formation of falcons on approach to the 31's over my house. Though I doubt they would fly an approach that elongated. They would probably hot dog in with a real close base to final.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Well its not that the runways are physically too short, but the T-Birds minimum requirements for runway length are not fullfilled. I'm sure they could land there if they wanted to, but technically they are not allowed. I'm guessing their requirements have changed since then.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

I remember someone saying last year, the runways are not the #1 reason, SECURITY is. So, we just have to hope the F15's and A-10 demo teams come again and park at Sheltair. I'd of course have no issues if the S3-Vikings came back too, I love them little suckers.

Good point as well, but I don't think security has ever been a problem.

I just looked up some info, and the T-birds require 7,000 ft of runway. FRG longest is 6827. The BA require only 6000.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Should be a great show... although, I have to say, seeing both teams many times the last 6 years, I'll take the Blue Angels over the Thunderbirds anyday.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I concur!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the show at Jones Beach... :(

But I will be at their show a few days later, throwing my hat up in the air as they fly over in their 5 ship formation, marking the end of my "college" life! (*knocks on wood*) :)

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    I don't recall where I hear it, but the Jones Beach alternating years for Tbirds and Angels supposedly was a hot debate with the decision to alternate being made by the joint Chiefs of Staff.

Don't recall the source though. Sorry.

But Scotty, nice way to keep us thinking warm thoughts of July during the deep freeze. :)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

The hot debate doesnt suprise me at all...there's a huge audience on LI for these things, making the show an excellent recruitment opportunity, which is the main reason for military air shows. That's why I expect this show to get bigger and better each year.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    The Blues and TBirds alternate every year at Andrews, and it looks like the same team just hangs around the Northeast for Jones Beach the next week.