Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: HDR, anyone else play?

High Line Park - New York City

Quote Originally Posted by captmjk16 View Post
    That's an amazing shot of Yankee Lady, great job Manny! (and everyone else)
    Thank you Captain
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

PSE&G Energy Plant in Bridgeport, CT

2 from tonight at the city

Very nice Manny, John and Dennis... Here is one from Andrews that I liked
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Thanks Fred. Nicely done from Andrews... reminds me of my morning outing at Dayton Airshow... very similar light

These two are from the iPhone. In case anyone wants to know how to do this on iPhone without special software on the phone, you try and keep the camera very very steady. I held the phone flat against the window to reduce reflections as well as to keep the camera steady. I had to prop the camera a bit at an angle to capture the building in the ESB shot because the floor I was on was too low to have the entire building in view if held flat. I used the chain of the window shade to create a ramp to prop the phone just slightly angled at around a 2 degree on the vertical.

So, to the shots. THe iPhone allows you to focus and set exposure on whatever area you touch on the scene on the screen. So I simply took a shot in auto as the camera balanced the light. Then I tapped on the darkest area on the scene to overexpose the shot and bring up the shadows. For the third shot (the underexposed one) I tapped on the brightest clouds to cause the camera to underexpose.

I brought all three images into Photomatix for toning. Given the poor conditions, I think they came out decent The downtown shot is too grungy for my taste but what the heck, we are all friends here

Manny Gonzalez

John, I hope you don't mind. I will delete the image if you want me to. I felt your image would lend itself perfectly to the new Oil Paint filter in PSCS6 and since I have been playing with it, I wanted to see what it would do to your image. I think it came out terrific. The filter is infinitely adjustable so this is but one interpretation.

Mine did not come out nearly as good

Manny Gonzalez

Manny, it's a rather interesting effect. Wondering if there will be a way to import that filter to CS5.

I will bracket shots for interiors or when the natural lighting is horrible. I keep the processing as close to how I saw it. I am not a fan of over done HDR with over saturated, overtly surealized colors that differ from the real or halos around objects. Just bad post processing

Well.. Im trying now the whole day to find a good setting.. How many pictures do you take for an HDR? i have the option between 3/5/7/9..
    Is it better to keep the ISO up? or the F down? same at night? i google it a little but everybody say something different..

Quote Originally Posted by DWaviation View Post
    Well.. Im trying now the whole day to find a good setting.. How many pictures do you take for an HDR? i have the option between 3/5/7/9..
    Is it better to keep the ISO up? or the F down? same at night? i google it a little but everybody say something different..
    Dennis, keep the ISO as low as you can. HDR tonemapping amplifies any noise in your photos and a high ISO could render the HDR file useless.
    Honestly, you need to shoot as many frames as you need, sometimes 3 will do, others need 5 or up to 9 if you have a really harshly conrasted scene (ie: shooing a sunset with an object in the foreground you want detail on).

Night shots, try a lower ISO (100 or 200) and sacrifice on he f-stop to keep the noise down.

Here is a 9 shot HDR - needed due to the sun

3 shot HDR - night shot, no sun

Quote Originally Posted by DWaviation View Post
    A) A lower ISO setting will have the least amount of noise. But you you still need a sharp, in focus image. So sometimes you will need to increase the ISO value to get a shutters peed fast enough to reduce camera shake. I your back is up to the task of hauling a tripod around you can stay with lower ISO. But if you are hand holding you camera keep that shutter speed up by bumping ISO up.
    B)On a tripod turn off VR, OS or IS, use mirror lock up and take your shots with a cable release or self timer. That will greatly reduce camera shake.
    C)You can get away with 3 images of -2,0,+2 but the more details you give the program the more even the tone mapping can be.
    D) F stop determines your Depth of Field. For details of an aircraft you can isolate the background with f1.4, f1.8, f2.8 etc. But if you are shooting an aircraft from an angle be it low, side etc you will want an fstop of f8-f13 to get the best sharpness out of your lens.
    When shooting at sunset you can go to f22 to reduce the sun glare and with shutter speed control the ambient light.
    E) Shooting at night is pretty much the same as in day time, only your shutter speeds are going to be much longer. A tripod is almost necessary if your looking at getting the shadow details of an aircraft. Bring a flash light to help the camera find a focus spot or just shoot in manual focus mode to get the shot. 30ft plus is focus infinity on most lenses anyway

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    John, I hope you don't mind. I will delete the image if you want me to. I felt your image would lend itself perfectly to the new Oil Paint filter in PSCS6 and since I have been playing with it, I wanted to see what it would do to your image. I think it came out terrific. The filter is infinitely adjustable so this is but one interpretation.

Mine did not come out nearly as good

HOLY SH!T! It is like a bad acid trip.... Everything Is Melting..... OH NO..... MAKE IT STOP!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

One from my recent trip to CT (oh man do I love rusty vehicles!)

I was today at the city and made some HDR by hand..