Thread: "Over Processing"

"Over Processing"

Can someone help me here, when people talk about over processing, I have no idea what they are referring to. I know what it means but I just can't see it, any help would be appreciated.
    nwa FOREVER!

Basically it just means that too much work was done to it in Photoshop. Think of it like Joan Rivers and plastic surgery.

You can tell a photo is overprocessed when colors start looking "just not right" or "unnatural." Also, you can tell when certain parts of a photo have been more processed (saturated, dodged, lightened, etc.) than others by using selection tools.

Does that make sense?

Sort of, do you think anyone could provide an example or two (compared to non overprocessed photos)
    nwa FOREVER!

Gimme a few minutes....I'll whip something up.

(edit: things just got really busy at work...will do this tonight if no one beats me to it)

No rush, I have at least a few more years to live! ;)
    nwa FOREVER!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    You were involved with a pic like this already.

http://www.nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4072

Look at the fuselage on that thing. The more you try to fix something with PS the more unnatural it begins to look. You need to see some more examples as you go and you will understand the concept. Remember the less you need to do in PS the better. If it is taking you a long time to edit a shot chances are it's not a good capture.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

See, I don't see where it is overprocessed, you pointed out where it was but I just can't see it. Mabye a picture that I didn't edit might help me to grasp the concept?
    nwa FOREVER!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    That fuselage looks natural to you? It looks like with anymore processing it would start to glow. Your right you the more pics you look at the more you will pick it up. If you look at the pic as a whold you can see it. The whole scene just doesn't natural and you can tell it was heavily edited.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I guess I somewhat see it, but some more pictures would be nice.
    nwa FOREVER!