Thread: "Fat Free" - My Nutritional Lesson

"Fat Free" - My Nutritional Lesson

I just wanted to set the record straight, as it seems that the the folks that make your food have been misleading the public for years and it's a little annoying to me.

First, though obesity and heart attacks usually come hand and hand, the two are not necessarily related. Being fat doesn't cause heart attacks. Only clogged arteries do.

As for the simple food lesson: Fat in food does not make you fat. Carbohydrates CAN make you fat.

Carbs are energy. Fat (in your body) is stored energy. When you consume more carbs than your body burns, it gets stored as fat.

There are two kinds of fat (in food). Saturated and unsaturated. These really will not make you fat. However, saturated fat will clog your arteries and can cause heart problems down the line. Unsaturated fat does not hurt you...in fact, you need it.

So, if you're trying to lose weight, "fat free" foods will do nothing for your cause. All they will do is not clog your arteries.

Back to the carbs and the misleading, a great example is Weight Watchers food. Look at the nutrition facts on a box of "WW" chocolate muffins. No fat, but a ****load of carbs. Great, it tastes like **** and STILL can make you fat.

Let's now talk about the Atkins diet. Though the craze has passed, the people who know to "avoid" carbs are doing it all wrong. You NEED carbs. Without carbs, youhave no energy to function. You can't think and will be weak and tired. The goal in a good diet is knowing when and how to consume carbs (I won't get into that detail right now).

Thanks for listening to my rant. I was getting pissed and I feel a little better.

Ask questions, add more or debate me if you'd like.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    to add to that, if you get regular exercise and take all things in moderation, you'll be OK.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187