Thread: Military Flyovers this week In NYC

Military Flyovers this week In NYC

There is supposed to be a 4 ship A-10 flyover from CTANG at the Jet game tomorrow at the meadowlands.

There is also supposed to be a 2 ship B-1 flyover for the Macys Thanksgiving day parade, not sure what time yet. Something to both see and hear!!! :D :D
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

The B-1 Flyover will be cool IF they turn on the burners (which they probably won't)... The echos through the buildings will be awesome if they do though!

Does the parade usually get a flyover? I've never gone, but B-1's along with the ability to watch from my new office (rather than getting pushed around on the street) might motivate me to go this year.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

They haven't had a flyover since I'm alive, that I know of. It may be worth me staying home amateur night and getting up early to spot them. Would be great to see 8 bone cans with full burner, however I somehow think that would scare millions and set of twice as many car alarms in the city. :shock: I will try to get some more info.
    Scott Snorteland

Yea I doubt if they flyover they will go full burner, especially over the city...

We had a bone flyover a few ago, and that was full burner and it was sweet! I can't imagine two!

I've been in the parade for the last couple of years (this'll be my fourth), and I don't think we've ever gotten a flyover, but I just may have missed it by being near the end of the parade all the time. I'll probably miss it this year, because I'll be inside one of the Weebles, which means I'll be in a small vehicle with a large balloon directly overhead.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Don't ever remember seeing a flyover as part of the Macy's parade, and when you think about it, it doesn't make much sense to do one over midtown Manhattan. There isn't much of the sky you can see at any one place, so you will only catch a glimpse of it as it flashes between buildings. I guess they could fly North/South down 5th Avenue, but it doesn't sound like a real strong possibility.

Well, as of right now there are 2 B-1's scheduled to flyover Central Park west at around 11:27am. I'll check it out.
    Scott Snorteland

Wow, that's a great way to wake up the UWS. Any idea what altitude they'd be at? I'm guessing no lower than 1,500-2,000 due to the buildings?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Below is the link to AFI 11-209 regarding military flyovers. Basically it says they won't be performed less than 500'AGL and at a greater speed than .90 MACH... Since a ton of stuff if higher than 500' AGL in Manhattan, maybe it will be no lower than 500' above the highest object (with the ESB exempted maybe?). So 1,500 to 2,000 sounds pretty realistic. I wouldn't expect burners though, especially for such a long flyover route... Also hows the weather supposed to be tomorrow? Weather minimums may come into factor if its supposed to be bad...

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles ... 11-209.pdf

Weather is looking like rain and some wind. Crappy!!
    Scott Snorteland