Thread: Rail photo's Part II

Rail photo's Part II

By Phil's post referencing that "The Gallery" is for member to member talking only. I decided to split it so we can post our photos. Let's see some photos!

NJT ALP-44 at Trenton

Some artistic shots of an evening SEPTA push-pull at Forest Hills Station on the R3

SEPTA push-pull at Cornwells Heights (handheld after sunset)

ALP-44 powered NJT push-pull accelerates out of Trenton for NYC. My favorite is on the back ready to lead back down on its return trip
    (Comet V Cab Car)

Comet V Cab Car in push-pull mode, on the lead with ALP-44 providing power from the back.

One evening a surprise visitor and late (UP SD70-ACe) leads a southbound Q301 on the Trenton Line.

I got this photo entirely by accident (well, mostly). I was still getting the feel of my "new" Dreb, and just for kicks, decided to take a shot of the passing end of a train. So I hoisted the camera (in "P" mode) over, hit the shutter, and got this gem:

Last train to pass the train-order signals at PD tower in Patchogue (the signals were taken down the next day, and the tower itself is gone now):

Interior of the waiting room of the NJT (former DL&W) Hoboken terminal, from the usually off-limits stairs:

Photo stop on Metro-North's "Farewell to the FL9" fantrip:

Every year, Conrail employees run a special "Santa Train" from Browns yard to Freehold and Jamesburg, NJ:

The New York & Atlantic Railroad unveils its first locomotive to recieve the new paint scheme:

I was waiting for a train at Newark Penn Station one night, and I had my Canon A80 with me and was taking a few shots. I set the camera on top of a pay phone and managed this shot of a departing PATH train:
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Sorry it took me a while to find where this thread was. Nice shots again :). Those night shots are really terrific. I don't think I have a single one. Do either one of you have any alco units?

Senga

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    Do either one of you ahve any alco units?
    I haven't caught very many; the only shots I have are of the ex-New Haven RS-3 currently owned and operated by the Naugatuck Railroad/Railroad Museum of New England:

I've also spotted one of the Morristown & Erie's C424s in the yard at NJT's Hoboken Terminal a few times (it's brought in every so often for wheel truing, I'm told), but it's never been in a good spot to get a photo.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Amazing shot..I would lOVE to see one of those. I suppose I could take a drive to Morristown to get a C424.

Do you know where the Whippany Rail Museum is located?

Senga

SEPTA is using an ALCO FA-1 on one of our Gel Trains (to get leaf oil of the rails). Unfortunately it only comes out at night. Also the West Chester RR is letting SEPTA borrow an ALCO RS18 for the Wire Train (to remove/add/fix catenary. I have yet to shoot it, but here are a friends photos of them.

Ex LIRR FA-1
    http://www.trainweb.org/phillynrhs/RPOTD061114.html

WCRR RS18
    http://www.trainweb.org/phillynrhs/RPOTW061105.html

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    And riding those FA1s, that was insane, Lots of railhunting over 45 mph.

And those Canadian horns on them were just so pleasing to the ear.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Heres a few more shots

Fred (Miller)
    If I recall you photographed this exact (201) unit on long island not too long ago on long island somewhere? I shot it in Louisville, KY about 4 years ago or so. Ex Conrail.

I know absolutely nothing about trains, but i was riding my bike around albany and came across this yard filled with a bunch of decaying stuff, looked really interesting. One day Ill snoop around and take a closer look at these.

Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

WHOA! that is amazing! ALCOS! Thats a gold mine there. How far is that off I-87?

Senga

Its only a few minutes off of 87, not far at all. I'm starting to wish I didn't leave my camera at home this weekend now, but with finals coming up I had a feeling that it would distract me. So if its not snowing that much in January when I bring it back up, I'll go get some close ups for ya.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Sorry, I missed the update to this thread again,
    Thanks for responding Grummanfan.
    Thx for keeping an eye out for it..I'd Really love to get up there sometime to see those units.

Senga

*bump*

I said I would go back and check out those deteriorating Alcos, so I did...at 2:30 in the morning.

Please excuse the quality of these shots. First off, they were horribly underexposed. I need to go back and take HDR shots. Plus I've been editing these on a monitor I pulled out of the dumpster, and I think the colors are off. Some were done on my laptop. Ill go find a computer somewhere on campus and check this page to see what looks reslatively close to normal on a good screen.

Anywho, the pics...

Look familiar?

dfalk.smugmug.com