Thread: Best Rock Band of the 80s: U2 or REM?

Best Rock Band of the 80s: U2 or REM?

Link to MSN article: http://www.slate.com/id/2153184/?GT1=8805

U2 or REM? How about waht bands are the most overrated of all time....U2 or REM?

REM's talent barely excedes that of a garage band.....a garage with oil stains and full, stagnant garbage pails waiting pickup.

U2 has has a few good songs I must admit, but there is ZERO basis for them to be looked at as any kind of legendary band. Just because Bono does charity work now the 80s arer looked at like they owned it? Please.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    REM was decent but no where near legendary wheras U2 has consistently made great music through the 80s AND 90s.

But as much as I like u2, what defines a legend? And I do agree with Phil, we can talk about the charity work but that only applies to Bono.

80s legends? c'mon, Phil, you were barely a sperm back then , we can't talk about legends of that time yet. Too early!

Next thing you know this Kois guy will be talking about 90's legends, like the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Oh and watch out, MidnightMike will whip out his bukkake tarp and start breakdancing to that old school vibe! :shock:
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Red Hot Chili Peppers for the 90s? No way. They are in the same exact boat as U2....decent band, but nothing THAT special. I think more along the lines of Nirvana for the 90s.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Nirvana was on par with RHCP, U2 and REM

Nirvana only got big after Kobain died. And wasn't Nirvana early 90's anyway?

C'mon now. Nirvana was grunge but that came and went. Where is it now?

If you singer kills himself, sure your band might become infamous, but legends? Even INXS said screw it and went looking for another head man. :)

RHCP is not a legend across boundaries but hits high in its own genre. REM and NIrvana were again at he topo of their genre.

Honestly, the author unfortunately skews the selection to 2 bands.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Lies.

Nirvana was always WAY better than anyone else. Everyone else was ALWAYS just overrated.