Thread: Sports Charters, history and trivia

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Sports Charters, history and trivia

Well, I just read a rather cool article about sports teams and how their use of charters and aviation has evolved over the years.

Rather then just spew random facts, I figure why not present it as trivia. I didn't know any of this prior to the article. I just learned about it, but I figure this might be a fun way to share the knowledge.

1. In what year did the first professional baseball team take to the air? And what was the name of the team?

2. What was the first BIG LEAGUE baseball club to fly? And between what two cities?

3. By the 1960's who was the leader in flying baseball club charters?

4. in 1950, The Dodgers acquired a DC-3. How?

5. In 1957, the Dodgers bought a _____________?

6. Only a few years later, they upgraded! In Feb. 1961, they picked up a ___________.

7. Only a year later to trade up again and buy a _____??

8. In 1970, they ponied up and bought a Boeing 720B. What did they nickname it?

9. For the Met fans: Baseball teams took a goodwill trip to military bases. Where did the Mets fly to in 1967 as part of a military goodwill tour?

10. What Bosox outfielder was also in fact an accomplished military aviator? (I think Moose might get this;)

Cool trivia and great article. Lets hear some thoughts/answers!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Re: Sports Charters, history and trivia

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    10. What Bosox outfielder was also in fact an accomplished military aviator? (I think Moose might get this;)
    That would be Ted Williams, who flew as a Marine fighter pilot in WW2 and Korea. He flew as John Glenn's wingman in Korea!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    For those interested, here are answers, as per the article. If you want ot know more, I'll post more.

1. In what year did the first professional baseball team take to the air? And what was the name of the team? THE HOLLYWOOD STARS OF THE PACIFIC COAST LEAGUE.

2. What was the first BIG LEAGUE baseball club to fly? And between what two cities? ON JUNE 7, 1937, THE CINCINNATI RED FLEW FROM CONCINNATI TO CHICAGO.

3. By the 1960's who was the leader in flying baseball club charters?
    UNITED AIRLINES.

4. in 1950, The Dodgers acquired a DC-3. How? THE PLANE WON LITERALLY WON FROM EASTERN AIRLINES PRESIDENT EDDIE RICKENBACKER IN A MIAMI CRAPS GAME.

5. In 1957, the Dodgers bought a _CONVAIR 440_ AGAIN EASTERN'S RICKENBACKER PLAYED A KEY ROLE AS THE PLANE WAS AN ADD-ON TO AN EASTERN ORDER FOR 20 PLANES.

6. Only a few years later, they upgraded! In Feb. 1961, they picked up a _DOUBLAS DC-6B_.

7. Only a year later to trade up again and buy a _BOEING 720B_.

8. In 1970, they ponied up and bought a Boeing 720B. What did they nickname it? "KAY'O" AFTER DODGER'S PRESIDENTS WIFE, KAY O'MALLEY.

9. For the Met fans: Baseball teams took a goodwill trip to military bases. Where did the Mets fly to in 1967 as part of a military goodwill tour? THULE AIR FORCE BASE IN GREENLAND. THIS WAS ALSO APPARENTLY THE FIRST TIME A SPORTS DELEGATION SET FOOT ABOVE THE ARCTIC CIRCLE.

10. What Bosox outfielder was also in fact an accomplished military aviator? (I think Moose might get this;) WAY TO GO MOOSE!!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Nice post Mario.

I believe UA's Caravelles were often assigned to Sports Charter duty in the years that type was active.
    "Keep 'em Flying"