Thread: Amtrak

Amtrak

So I'm going to NC for Thanksgiving and I have a flight from Philly (the girl lives there) so I'm taking Amtrak's "Keystone" to Philadelphia. I have taken Amtrak before to DC and Philly, and I enjoyed it. It's a lot better than the NJ Transit/Septa trek whick can take 2.5 hours.

Anyways I was looking at Amtrak's schedules and routes and I was wondering how many people still rode the trains long distance. If anyone has any personal experiences or trip reports riding Amtrak I would love to hear them.

Also for any train buffs out there, are Amtrak's trains that leave NY Penn Station due south operated by diesel locomotives or are they electric?
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

electric south to DC diesel south of DC
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

I've done the Metroliner to Philly, and it's a nice ride. I have nothing positive or negative to say about it. Everything was very.......ok. lol
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I've taken Amtrak from Albany to Penn and back a few times, really nothing special about the trips. My choice is either that or Greyhound. The busses are much more cramped, but they are cheaper and get there in relatively the same amount of time. My Amtrak experiences have been decent; clean cars, decent leg room, quiet people, no delays, nice employees. But generally I do go for the cheaper option and just suck it up.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

I actually love Amtrak and haven't ridden in aWHILE. I miss it...wish I had time to do it more often.

Longest train ride I was ever on was from Philly to Petersberg, VA (past Richmond) which was about 5 hours (I honestly remember it being longer, but I just checked and it's just 5). I finished a book on that ride...and chose to spend an extra $25 for biz class. Definitely worth it.

I also often rode Amtrak from Albany to NYC when I was living in Saratoga...and Philly to DC, too.

It's only taken me 5 hours to write this.

I find Amtrak to be way overpriced. Both on the Northeast Corridor and long distance. I think that little extra time on NJT is well worth it, they are a grade A railroad, clean equipment and on time service. Even the Amtrak Regionals have been known to run quite behind schedule lately. If you get to ride in a NJT Comet V Car :) you'll be in some of the best equipment in use across the US. Like I said can't beat the price, comes out to being about 50 bucks roundtrip after the connection in Trenton with our lovely transit agency and my employer INEPTA. Oh I mean SEPTA. Where is your girlfriend located BTW?

I have riden on both the Acela Express and a (back then) "Acela Regional" back in 2001 and I plan to take a Trip on a Keystone from Philly out to Harrisburg on the newly finished-updated electrified Keystone Line. Service was good when I rode them in 2001, I mean it's not like there is much to comment about much like an airline. Let us know how it goes.

I'll definitely give a trip report including both the flights and the Amtrak service. My girlfriend is in Germantown (I saw that its not the best of areas) and she works in Chestnut Hill.

I've taken the NJT/Septa connection and it works quite well, but I was concerned taking NJT at peak rush hour on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

I also love the sign posted on the bridge near Trenton "Trenton Makes The World Takes".
    --Joe Namath

I LOVE that sign!!! R7, what!?!?

I agree that Amtrak is way overpriced, one reason I don't take it more often. Jetblue is actually cheaper!

i miss philly :(

Well, Germantown is vast area generally being entire Northwest Philly. But Chestnut Hill is the nicest section that is still in the county limits while not being in Center City. Well if she lives in Germantown taking that R7 wouldnt be half as bad as it shoots straight to the "Hill East" and through Germantown.

R7... Mel do these look familiar?

I'll give you specifics...she lives near Pulaski Avenue near the H bus?
    --Joe Namath

Oh, my dear old R2. Really though, I swore by the Combined Timetable, always had one in my purse or backpack...the fact that I could take damn near every line to either Elkins Park, Jenkintown or Glenside was always my lifesaver. I miss Septa!!!! :( (never, EVER thought I'd say that)

Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK
    I'll give you specifics...she lives near Pulaski Avenue near the H bus?
    Near Simon Gratz HS? :? Ohh man, good luck. I had to work on the Rt 2 which starts at Pulaski and Pike. Sounds like she's in the Nicetown section of the city. It's not so Nice anymore, I almost consider that North Philly. Which is the worse in the city. Just be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by mellyrose
    Oh, my dear old R2. Really though, I swore by the Combined Timetable, always had one in my purse or backpack...the fact that I could take damn near every line to either Elkins Park, Jenkintown or Glenside was always my lifesaver. I miss Septa!!!! Sad (never, EVER thought I'd say that)
    Mel, well you lived on the Mainline. You had so much more service than anyone else. R2, R3, R5 and R1... Lucky. They just cut my weekday service to every hour from 8am to like 3pm due to High platform construction work at Ft. Washington. My own employer is making it harder for me to work for them :P

In fact it's due to them having to single track. Just last week I had three trains that were over 25 minutes late getting into CC! That's horrible, like many say SEPTA is a Bus organization. They don't care about their railroad or even Trolley's for that matter, everyday they make the railroad more like a light rail system. All I can say is you guys are lucky to have NJT, LIRR and MNRR. All Grade A railroads in my book.

[/rant over]

No no...I wasn't "Mainline". Mainline is considered WEST of the city (Paoli, Malvern, Devon, Westchester, etc). I was on the Glenside run though: Montgomery County. But the R1, R2, R3, R5 all run through the 3 or 4 stations that went through the towns I lived in.

Sorry, but Im talking about the SEPTA Mainline where all the lines run together. Glenside to University City :lol: