Thread: Narrowed down to Two cameras.

Narrowed down to Two cameras.

Okay, as nik apparently already told you, i am looking for a new camera for under 350$ with good zoom and high MP (thats just in case you decided to search for one that i didnt list below). i am pretty sure i have narrowed it down to two choices.

1) This Canon powershot S3 IS - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is.html

2) This Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/fz7.html

If you guys think that these arent good enough , i will keep saving up. Thanks for any input you guys can provide.

P.S mario, nik had me that close to bidding on yours , until i found out it was missing the D in DSLR ;-)
    Two wrongs might not make a right, but three rights make a left!

I would go with the Canon. My dad has that (not sure if it's the exact model, but he definitely has a Powershot with IS and 12x digital zoom) and he loves it. He uses the digital zoom all the time with great results.

He also mentioned that the IS is really great - he went to The MoMA while in Manhattan and took photos of the artwork in dim light (flash free, since it's not allowed, for those who don't know) and the IS was so good that there wasn't any blur at all. I can only assume that in good light it would work very well also.

I'm also biased toward Canons. ;)

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Shannon I think you should forego the P&S and save more and buy a D50 or some other budget DSLR. If you buy the point and shoot in 2 months you will just get frustrated when you try to shoot pics outside the capabilities of the camera. You can get the D50 kit for $500 and a decent 300 mm zoom for $200. I think you will be better off.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Forget the Nikon, try picking up a Canon XT, their all going on sale on ebay because people are upgrading to the XTi or even better models.
    nwa FOREVER!

Yeah I have to agree with Nick, put your money aside for a bit and get a Digital SLR a month or two down the road, I think you'll be happy you did.

Ok, so im with DSLR opinion too, but if you have to choose from this two, then FZ7, as i have it too:D
    BTW if you want, have alook here... http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=19565

Yeah, DSLR. But hey, it doesn't have to be a Canon. For budget DSLR's, the Nikon D40 will be out soon. That'll beat any Canon P&S and give you the versatility to move up with lenses.

I'm also biased toward Nikon's.
    I'm learning to fly, around the clouds. But what goes up must come down. - Tom Petty