Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 53 of 53

Thread: Election Day Madness!

  1. #46
    Administrator PhilDernerJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    12,470
    Quote Originally Posted by yaas
    I knew you'd pull out the vote aqui joke again...
    I said it on the radio earlier in the morning as well actually. lol
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

  2. #47
    Senior Member RDU-JFK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner
    Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK

    My main beef with the system is with the presidential elections. THAT's when my vote truly doesn't count. New York will ALWAYS vote for the democrat for the presidential election, so my vote is thrown away.
    Didn't Ronald Reagan win New York State?

    Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK
    The electoral college does not work.
    On the contrary, it works exactly as it was intended to work. There's a reason we have 2 Senators from each state but a different number of House Reps based upon population.

    Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK
    My vote for Bush had no impact on his re-election in 2004.
    Yes, it is the system, and a neccesary trade-off in view of the greater good ....

    Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK
    Being a conservative in Brooklyn is frustrating because you have no political voice.
    Well, you are outvoted I suppose. What -- .. Not happy with Marty Markowitz and Charles Barron? LOL.... cheer up..if the lower east side elected Antonio Pagan after all those years, (yeah, he's long gone now I think..) anything is possible..

    Tom

    hahaha the only thing Markowitz does is speak at Junior High School graduations and greet people on the highway signs as they drive into brooklyn.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

  3. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaas
    I knew you'd pull out the vote aqui joke again...
    I said it on the radio earlier in the morning as well actually. lol
    *shakes head in disapproval*

    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    the extent of showing all was moving their bikinis over to show their vajajays, but only if you were sitting up close and had $$$ out. No Gucci, no coochie!

  4. #49
    Moderator USAF Pilot 07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,669
    It's great reading all this political debate, because it truly shows how much of a democracy we are and how much many of us care about this country. We can argue about who of two or more completely different people would make a better leader and better serve us, but at the end of the day, regardless of who wins, we come together as Americans.

    It's sad that only 35% (a number mentioned earlier in the thread) of Americans exercise their right to vote. Just think of how different thing may be if 100% of people voted!

    In any case, I voted about 3 weeks ago via Absentee Ballot.

    Here's my question to you all. If we're trying to increase voting participation, why make people go to polls and vote? Why not just send them a ballot in the mail, or have them vote online. I guarantee you we'd see a huge jump in the number of voters, because all they'd have to do is open up a letter, mark their choices, seal the letter and drop it back in the mail, instead of having to go to a polling place and wait on line to vote...

    I do understand that fraud and technology limitations currently are the biggest factors in why we don't do this, but we're getting to a point where almost anyone's identity can be verified online. So is there anything stopping us, from maybe 5, 10, 15 years down the road, going over to an online voting system? Do you think something like this would be accepted by the American people, and do you think they'd have trust in it? In an ideal world, it would be the perfect solution to increase voting numbers. But in the realistic world, would it work? Would certain political parties allow this to happen, or favor it?
    Just some of my thoughts...

  5. #50
    Senior Member RDU-JFK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,185
    Online voting just presents way too much of a possibility for fraud. 15 year-old kids who can't even vote would know about online voting than half the people designing the software. Hackers around the US and the world would see it as a challenge to hack and rig elections, and they would most likely succeed. Instead of giving just the polling volunteers access, you're giving the world access. Anything is possible.

    I saw one state gave an incentive by giving away $1Million dollars to a lucky voter. This might work in more states.
    Anotherpossibility for a place like NYC, is to have anyone from any part of the state to be able to vote at any polling place. So instead of going to PS 193 in Brooklyn, I could vote at lunchtime in lower manhattan, using a closed-circuit computer, of course.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

  6. #51
    Senior Member NIKV69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Posts
    4,258
    Didn't Ronald Reagan win New York State?
    Not only that but the GOP proved you don't have to carry CA or NY to win.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

  7. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The weather sucks in Seattle
    Posts
    4,899
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Here's my question to you all. If we're trying to increase voting participation, why make people go to polls and vote? Why not just send them a ballot in the mail, or have them vote online. I guarantee you we'd see a huge jump in the number of voters, because all they'd have to do is open up a letter, mark their choices, seal the letter and drop it back in the mail, instead of having to go to a polling place and wait on line to vote...

    I do understand that fraud and technology limitations currently are the biggest factors in why we don't do this, but we're getting to a point where almost anyone's identity can be verified online. So is there anything stopping us, from maybe 5, 10, 15 years down the road, going over to an online voting system? Do you think something like this would be accepted by the American people, and do you think they'd have trust in it? In an ideal world, it would be the perfect solution to increase voting numbers. But in the realistic world, would it work? Would certain political parties allow this to happen, or favor it?
    Just some of my thoughts...
    As you said, "Fraud" which exist even today, but, if you start mailing out voter ballots, the increase in voter fraud would simply increase...

    If people are lazy to vote, they are lazy to vote.....
    The problem with socialism is that you eventually,
    run out of other people’s money.
    ” - Margaret Thatcher

  8. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The weather sucks in Seattle
    Posts
    4,899
    Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Didn't Ronald Reagan win New York State?
    Not only that but the GOP proved you don't have to carry CA or NY to win.
    Not only that, but, that is why the Electoral College exist today, if we went with the Popular vote, all you would have to do, is win California, throw in New York, & you are halfway there (a little exaggeration).

    With the Electoral College, you are forcing the Presidential Canidates to pay attention to each of the 50 States.
    The problem with socialism is that you eventually,
    run out of other people’s money.
    ” - Margaret Thatcher

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •