Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikkor lens

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by winglets747
    Would you recommend the 1.4 TC or the 2.0 TC? I went to Ken Rockwell's site and it seems he favors both TCs for the 2.8 70-200, but favors the 2.0 slightly more.

Other thoughts on the TCs?
    Well I used a 2x TC on my 200 for a very brief period of time before I said the hell with it and bought the 400. So I can't give you an honest opinion., suffice to say that a good 2x TC with the 2.8 should yield good results.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Any though on how a 2x TC would work on the 18-200 VR? At full zoom the lens is already a 5.6.
    I'm learning to fly, around the clouds. But what goes up must come down. - Tom Petty

Re: Nikkor lens

Quote Originally Posted by uplander
    Went to a photo equip show today and got to play with a Nikkor 200-400 f/4 lens with vibration reduction. This was beyond my wildest dreams. I was unable to get a rotten shot with it. But unfortunately, the price was :shock: beyond my wildest dreams too.

Then they showed told me the Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6, also with VR. I was wondering if anyone has this baby or has tried it out. I'm guessing it would be pretty decent and versatile for aviation photography, which I'm just trying to get in to.

If there are no replies, I'll just assume everyone here's Cannon :roll:
    Go for the 80-400! That lens is great!
    I use that and the 70-200VR, but you know what, even at 200mm you can't go larger then 5.6 aperture anyhow. Jetliners are looong.

My 80-400 fits nicely in my camera bag, the 70-200 is a pain.
    The 70-200 truly is best for sports and use it on my kids @ 2.8.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

The slow focusing issue isn't a problem for you when your target is moving at jet speed? (Qualify that... jet "takeoff/landing" speed.)
    I'm learning to fly, around the clouds. But what goes up must come down. - Tom Petty

The focus performance has been greatly blow out of proportion.

Its very good. I even shoot my 6 year old playing football with it, and it does very well.

Take a quick look here, tools, spotting maps, EWR. You will see my pic with the Virgin and British airways crossing paths.

And keep in mind the lens relies on the motor in the camera to drive the auto focus. So the lens works faster on my D200, in comparison to my D100. (but had no issues used on a D100)

Bottom line, the 70-200 was overall disappointing, since I was led to believe this lens would totally annihilate the 80-400. But not so, for jets.

The 80-400 is one of the single most important and impressive pieces of gear at my disposal. Its performance has kept me from making a permanent switch to Canon (that I have tried and went back to Nikon, sorry, no way can I play a trombone)

Take a quick look here, tools, spotting maps, EWR. You will see my pic with the Virgin and British airways crossing paths.
    That is an awesome pic, and I don't detect any focusing problems... unless your target was the BA. :-)

Thanks for all the tips on the lens. Next order of business: try one out.

Thanks.

What camera you using?

D50. Might that be an issue?

I'd say not at all.

Great set up. Friend of mine has the D50 and loves it. Well worth him waiting a bit longer to save a few more dollars, and got himself a real DSLR, instead of a 'super point n shoot".

D50 works with all of Nikon's DSLR approved lens, and work's fine on my older D100 too.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcolors
    The focus performance has been greatly blow out of proportion.

Its very good. I even shoot my 6 year old playing football with it, and it does very well.
    Mike the 80-400VR is a good lens but I meant compared to the 80-200 it focuses slow. If I can get close enough the 400 will never leave my bag. The 200 is much faster and sharper. If you are on a budget and can only buy one zoom the 400 is fine.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

And the beauty of it is you can keep your 400 in the bag!

Keep in mind the 80-400 is a zoom lens, and one with one heck of a long focal range. All zooms have a degree of compromise. In retrospect I found the Nikkor much more forgiving then the Canon 100-400 in regards to light fall off and sharpness at a wide range of apertures. Plus its lighter, more compact retracted and the lens hood actually works!

True, the 70-200 is a "high performance zoom" since its a short focal length change from end to end. Just keep in mind this lens shines @ f/2.8, and is best for sports. Using both lens @ f/8 will yield results that are indistinguishable.

In summary pic taking of aircraft is a very diverse subject, and its one where many times we can't get closer or move around greatly to compensate for focal length. Were taking a picture of an ERJ and in 2 minutes a 747. That's allot of MM's difference, and having a nice full frame shot is better quality then a 1/3 filled frame with slightly better glass.

Photography is nothing more then compromise!