Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    "How many pics do you have on anet?" Ever since I met the area group this phrase has been used as a way to give credibilty to peoples opinions on anet, how anet screens etc.

THat's all old rhetoric. :roll:
    "how many pics do you have on anet?"
    "how many hits do you have on anet?"

When you can start saying
    "how many ultimate rejections have you had by Johan",
    baby, now you are in a class all your own. I push myself and push the limits beyond what some website tells me.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Ok, I had to just post the link. Scroll down to the mighty Johan! Too funny.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/av ... ain/229974
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

You just the other day used the famous. "How many pics do you have on anet?" ... this phrase has been used as a way to give credibilty ... your remark in that thread the other day on anet whether consciously or unconsciously is used in this fashion
    No, he was complaining about the screening process. I was asking that o tsee how much experience he might have with Anet's screening process. It had nothing to do with questioning his credibility as an aviaiton photographer. It was an Anet discussion abotu Anet, andmy comment pertained to that. So, it doesn't even apply here.

If you don't know the meaning of the word "status" in this context I can't help you
    Ok, here's the deal with status. I'd hate to drag his name into it, but I'm going to use Art Brett.

Do I have a lot of respect for him becuase he's got 5,000 Anet shots? Yes.

But, if he didn't upload to Anet at all, I'd still have the smae amountof respect for him, becuase he'd still have amillion shots (whether he uploads them or not), he has been doing this for so long and has shots that I love seeing from before I was born, and he's one of the nicest people I've ever met.

On the flip side, I can think of a couple people who have MANY MANY shots on Anet but have zero status in my mind.

My point is that Anet can contribute, you don't earn status just from anythign pertianing to Anet. It takes a lot more.

If you also don't see the problem with someone uploading the same pic of shades of blue from the same angle sitting on the ramp multiple times well again I can't help you. It wastes space, screeners screening time and our time.
    This, you need to explain more. Because if it was a problem, they'd make more rules preventing it. It doesn't waste the screeners' time any more thanpeople uplaoding bad shots do, which is by the thousands.

In fact, Anet has a bad_common and bad_double rejection to deal with that. So if it still gets accepted, it obviously can't be that big of a problem.

Why does YOUR opinion of what wastes screeners' time matter so much in a hobby where the goals for being in it is so diverse?

There are thousands of other planes out there and 400 other B6 AC to shoot. Go shoot them.
    Maybe that's not what people's goals are in this hobby. Maybe they want to keep their photos as current as can be, uploading newer photos of something or from a different angle so to have the most up to date stuff regardless ofwhat they might have previously uploaded.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by phil d
    No, he was complaining about the screening process. I was asking that o tsee how much experience he might have with Anet's screening process. It had nothing to do with questioning his credibility as an aviaiton photographer. It was an Anet discussion abotu Anet, andmy comment pertained to that. So, it doesn't even apply here.
    Just because he doesn't have any pics in the DB doesn't mean he can't voice an opinion Phil. Which is what your comment was saying whether directly or indirectly. How many people that upload to JP lurk in that forum? I would think a few. It borders on eliteism thinking and even if you meant it another way why would you not just ask him how someone with no uploads can voice an opinion on the screening process? Why do you have to ask him "How many pics do you have in DB?" When it was clear you already knew the answer to the question? It's clear you were trying to lower his credibility as #1 a photog and #2 as a member of a site with a complaint just because he hasn't gotten a pic accepted.

Ok, here's the deal with status. I'd hate to drag his name into it, but I'm going to use Art Brett.
    Arts name doesn't belong in this thread. His # of pics on anet is irrevleant. He has never used the "How many pics do you have on anet" routine and he is one of the most down to earth people. He treats everyone equal regardless of their success rate on anet. Which he proved with me. He treats me the same way since I had no pics in the DB as now.

This, you need to explain more. Because if it was a problem, they'd make more rules preventing it. It doesn't waste the screeners' time any more thanpeople uplaoding bad shots do, which is by the thousands.
    They really need to make a rule. Shooting the same regi at the same airport even on different days is ridicoulus. I mean if it is from an entirely different angle I can see maybe allowing 2 of the same shot but 4 or 5 from the same motiv and angle?? It's lunacy.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Just because he doesn't have any pics in the DB doesn't mean he can't voice an opinion Phil. Which is what your comment was saying whether directly or indirectly.
    Nick, I know why I asked that question, and if I tellyou what I meant, then that's what I menat. I'll admit anything,a ndthere is no need ot further analyze or tell me what I menat when I said something.

I asked him that because I was curious about howmuch experience he had uploading. Granted, a better question would have been "Have you ever tried uploading to Anet before?" as his complaints about the screening system seemed like he didn't know anything about it, which would make me wonder why he was complaining about it so.

Why do you have to ask him "How many pics do you have in DB?" When it was clear you already knew the answer to the question?
    Wrong again. I had no idea who that guy was. It culd have been Baily's username for all I knew. I don't know if the guy has 8,000 shots or never even saw the uplaodpage, which is why I asked.

Suggesting otherwise wouldbe calling me a liar. Do not do that.

Arts name doesn't belong in this thread.
    My reference to Art was how OTHERpeopel treat HIM becuase of how many photos he has, not how he treats other people.

He treats me the same way since I had no pics in the DB as now.
    Ok, we agreethere. No one said he didn't. Why did you even say that?

The points I was making was debunking that people look up to other photographers becuaseof how many shots they have on anet. You're talking about how photographers with a lot of shots look down onother people. Two different things.

They really need to make a rule. Shooting the same regi at the same airport even on different days is ridicoulus...It's lunacy.
    And that is your opinion. I think it's just a shame that you are pushing that onto other peopel and not being more accepting of how other people want to practice the hobby.

The points I was making was debunking that people look up to other photographers becuaseof how many shots they have on anet. You're talking about how photographers with a lot of shots look down onother people. Two different things.
    Exactly. we were talking about the ones who look down on other people with little or none. Which is why bringing Art into the mix didn't make sense to me.

And that is your opinion. I think it's just a shame that you are pushing that onto other peopel and not being more accepting of how other people want to practice the hobby.
    I am not pushing anything on anybody but when you see someone with the same exact aircraft from the same exact angle at the same airport even on different days it has nothing to do with practicing the hobby. It's overkill and padding your photo count. Nothing more, nothing less. You also seem to be forgetting that it is your friend Tommy who started this thread with some of the same views toward this practice. Go back to the beginning and read what he had to say.

Just because it was "Phil's friend Tommy" who started the thread, doesn't mean he has to agree with everything he said. Everyone has their own opinions about these things. :-P

Exactly. we were talking about the ones who look down on other people with little or none.
    It's what YOU were talking about, which is why that part of the disagreement came up. That part's over.

...when you see someone with the same exact aircraft from the same exact angle at the same airport even on different days it has nothing to do with practicing the hobby.
    Says who? Peolpe can practice it anyway they want. You're still saying that people should practice it in the way that you see fit.

It's overkill and padding your photo count. Nothing more, nothing less.
    How are you so sure that people who do that only do it to pad their photo count?

If it it was for photo count, what if they have a reason for doing it like promoting their work to be sold more?

You also seem to be forgetting that it is your friend Tommy who started this thread with some of the same views toward this practice. Go back to the beginning and read what he had to say.
    Now you're adding an completely unnecessary personal touch to all of this. I don't even see what your point is there. Are you saying I'm supposed otbe agreeing with him? Or are you saying that I should be replyign to his posts the same way I'm replying to yours?

If it's the latter, it's because Tommy's not being as engaging, and if he was, I'dbe doing the smae thing to him.

Just to step in here, I don't have that many shots on JP.net (none on anet) and I rarely get to go spotting, mabye a few times a year at max, so if there is a shot that I like, I will upload it since it's rare for me to go. Now, granted i'm not going to upload a shot of N223NW taken from the same angle on the same exact day, but if I happen to be out and N223NW comes in, I'm still going to upload it if it's a good shot, even if I already have 5 of it in the database.

Just my $.02
    nwa FOREVER!

Says who? Peolpe can practice it anyway they want. You're still saying that people should practice it in the way that you see fit.
    Not at all shoot it all you want, there is just no need to upload it 5 times. Unless of course you want to brag that you have more pics on anet than someone else. Which is what it is for. What does uploading it multiple times do to help sales? It is the exact same picture.

Or are you saying that I should be replyign to his posts the same way I'm replying to yours?
    No it just started to seem you were trying to make it look like I started this thread and that I was alone in this thinking.

What does uploading it multiple times do to help sales?
    Because when a company does a search for photos, it's shown that they will go for photos that appear first in the listing, or the newest uploads. This is why.

Also, maybe the shooter like the newer shot better thanthe old one? This would NOt fall into the re-uplaod option, but the shootermight want to better represent their shot if that's what a client might want.

...there is just no need to upload it 5 times.
    THAT is what I'm debating you on, though, Nick. Telling people how many shots they SHOULD uplaod of something IS telling them how to practice their hobby.

You haven't expalined why it actually BOTHERS you, and are just so final with it. I mention points but you ignore it and keep saying the same stuff over and over again.

You are ASSUMING that the person is doing it just for total photo count. How would you know what is going on in a person's head that you've probably never met before?

If it was to improve total photos, why are you ASSUMING that it's purely for the status? They might have other motivations.

You so deeply engage in debates on several sites, and it would be great if you actually tried to consider other people's ideas alittle bit more. I've never seen someone apply such attention to a discussion while being 100% closed-minded towards other thoughts. Your whole debate style is how to try to shoot down other people's disagreements with you, not to consider them and dispell with rationalization.

If you're going to keep saying that people SHOULDN'T upload more tha oneof the same plane at a time with no further explanation or logic, then let me know and I'll stop replying and wasting my time with your stubborness.

Because when a company does a search for photos, it's shown that they will go for photos that appear first in the listing, or the newest uploads. This is why.
    This may be half right. My maxjet shot is one of the first so thus it appears last and I have gotten three requests for it. I just sold a G4 shot to an airport for a presentation that is two years old, so that pic would be on the bottom of the list. I think Airlines and the like browse the DB a little more thouroughly than you give them credit for.

THAT is what I'm debating you on, though, Nick. Telling people how many shots they SHOULD uplaod of something IS telling them how to practice their hobby.
    Phil you have to really get off your horse. I have never said anything like this. It has nothing to do with practicing the hobby. In fact this whole drama about how people enjoy the hobby, how it's about the people and not the hits is so overstated. Put it to bed. Nobody needs a guide on how this hobby should be practiced. All of us here were not even born when it started and we will all be long gone and it will still be going on so let's leave it at that. As far the topic that was started in this thread I believe Tommy is spot on.

You so deeply engage in debates on several sites, and it would be great if you actually tried to consider other people's ideas alittle bit more. I've never seen someone apply such attention to a discussion while being 100% closed-minded towards other thoughts. Your whole debate style is how to try to shoot down other people's disagreements with you, not to consider them and dispell with rationalization
    Phil just as you have your thoughts on what is most important in this hobby other people too have theirs. Just as you don't believe in "getting lost in the upload queue" there are some that like to upload to anet and succeed and get aggravated when they don't. It was this aggravation that all the BS about the anet screening policy and other conspiracy crap was born. Just because this is how you felt didn't mean you were getting lost in the upload queue at all. I also remember certain people here saying that if you cared about the upload queue on anet that much you "lost sight of the hobby" I found this to be BS and ridicouolous. It is you that said that everyone practices this hobby a little differntly right? I don't try to shoot anybody down here but IMO opinion people that upload the same regi needlessly (and lets call it 4 to 5 times at the same airport to give some benefit of the doubt) you are doing it simply to boost pic count. It isn't a way of self expression of the hobby, it is not to keep the pic current so potential buyers of a print will see it first when they scroll down either.

Nick...I think you're a bit out of line throwing around accusations toward people you don't even know on these upload sites. You have no idea what their M.O.'s are, nor should it matter to you. While you're claiming that "Nobody needs a guide on how this hobby should be practiced" you seem to be doing a sufficient job of penning the book yourself.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Phil you have to really get off your horse.
    And you need to get your head out of Johan's lap!

Sorry but a bit of humor needs to be injected here! This debate is steamy!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Horse? I'm the one saying that people should be allowed to upload what they want. Anet already has rules in place to prevnet excessive uploading.

As for "lost in the upload queue", I personally believe that people who take the uplaod queue too seriously are losing sight of why they got into this in the first place. I stand by my view, but I don't say that Anet should create rules based on my viewws or push my views on others.