Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Inside American Airlines" - TV tonight

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Oh and one other observation...

Crandall called it a true story. But the way he mentioned reducing cost with the watchman....Innovative? yes. But the way he just mentioned to get rid of the watchman seemed a bit dismissive and I doubt that sat wll with labor relations.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by G-BOAD
    i watched airline on A&E a few, and i just don't get it. what is the point? most of what i saw was people who had a little to much to drink at the bar and are not let on the plane, and then complain about it for 5 hours until they are sober and can get on the next plane. also i think it puts SWA in a really bad light.
    Agreed. Airport, on the other hand, the BBC show which Discovery Wings Channel used to broadcast, was an awesome show. It's too bad Discovery Wings folded. I believe I read Airline was inspired by Airport, but it was never nearly as interesting.

Airport, if you've never seen it, followed the routines of various workers at Heathrow...a few clerks and managers at different airlines, a couple of immigration officers, an animal control officer, some cops, etc, and they'd stick with these regular characters for the whole season. They would usually follow three or four story lines through the course of an episode.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Yeah, Airport had more interesting stuff going on, much more than lost baggage and a drunk.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

It did become a bit "airline" when they interviewed those passengers who had to get off the DFW-PDX flight, I was going oh boy, wow thee ARE other passengers like those who fly on SWA ;)

Very interesting show.

The difference between Airline and this is Airline wanted ot portray the passenger and drama side of SWA, versus the inside and technical side of AA on this episode. Big difference.

Believe me, if Airline did the same for AA, all you'd think were drunks and smelly passengers on AA too.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

In retrospect, I feel I should clarify Alex.

Another realization is this. One that DFW-PDX flight ,yes, I do agree, they are not going to show you the rational people that understand that planes, like cars, can have a problem and understand that the problem is being dealt with.

They will, in fact, never show a rational customer, since, well, what dramatic value do they have. So yes, all airlines have THOSE pax but "airline" really spotlit them!
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by G-BOAD
    i watched it, and liked it. but think it should go into more details on some things, like the maintenance and and cargo; and luggage operations. i always what to know how that works.
    That would help the terrorists. :roll:
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Understood Mario.

Yes, Airline hit the spotlight which shows Airline did exactly what it wanted to do, but for people like the general public who don't know and understand like us, should also know there are other airlines that carry the same type of passengers.

Oh well getting off topic here.

Maybe we can see other shows like this from other airlines.

Alex

PS- WHAT YA'LL THINK ABOUT THAT 31 MILLION FLYER GUY! :shock: :shock:

Smokes, I thought gettign 25,000 was an accomplishment.

He would have to book and pay first class on every flight for a long time to reach that status and miles including credit cards I would think? I can't fathom how one could reach 31 million miles, good lord.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

I too wondered this. Also wondered if a private jet or netjets might be a better option for him.

They actually had an encore showing last night on CNBC from 0000-0200 and was able to catch about half of it and really enjoyed it. For those who saw are you are aware that the modern new Admirals Club was JFK ? Since they repeated it last night maybe there will be more encores !

Cheers

LGA777

there will be encores. will get the dates to you in a bit

here you are:

CNBC, Wed Oct 18 09:00pm EDT

CNBC, Thu Oct 19 12:00am EDT

CNBC, Sun Oct 22 09:00pm EDT

CNBC, Mon Oct 23 12:00am EDT

So Sunday night is the next time

i never saw "airport" but if it was made by BBC and discovery i think it would be really good.
    also on BBC:

FASTTRACK
    This week on FASTTRACK - an update on the again delayed A380 as its maker Airbus has recently announced that it is pushing back the delivery date of its first super jumbo, double-decked plane. With the first plane now expected in October 2007, a further 13 now due to enter service in 2008 followed by another 25 the year after. Also this week, Aaron Heslehurst goes behind the scenes to find out what airlines do when hurricane season strikes. Plus, Karen Bowerman reports on how Scotland is tempting Chinese tourists, by giving them their very own tartan.

(Duration: 30 minutes)

Sunday 22nd October at 0230

Repeated: Monday 23rd October at 1530; Tuesday 24th October at 0530 & 0430[A.Pa];

Wednesday 25th October at 1130[S.As]; Wednesday 25th October at 2130~+ & 0330

Been meaning to ask, what twin prop was it that Arpey was flying?

I'm not up to speed with my private twin props but I think its my favorite one. There is that old powder blue colored one over at FRG and I think Arpey's is the same as that powder blue plane.

Would Fred or anyone else know??

The show was really well put together nice transitions, blunt question and interesting answers.

Anyone remember what the nickname for the 'cadaver cargo' was?

jim wilson??? or watson?

Well I saw the second half the other night and the first half tonight, really well done and enjoyable show. I especially enjoyed the brief segment on their DFW Ramp Tower as it basically the same job I do for US at LGA. And every summer I do make the ramp closed due to lightning calls as depicted. I can even relate to the mechanical/medical emergency combo, it does actually happen. Great Job CNBC !

LGA777