Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: U.S. Relaxes Air Travel Restrictions

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    does anyone know if it's allowable to bring a corked bottle of wine throught TSA and customs? i got it to the UK via a G-V but now and going to be coming home on LO and LH and just don't want to get into trouble...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    does anyone know if it's allowable to bring a corked bottle of wine throught TSA and customs? i got it to the UK via a G-V but now and going to be coming home on LO and LH and just don't want to get into trouble...
    Sorry, you need to check it in baggage to keep it.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Thought you guys would get a laugh at this at the"Tools" expense.

SLSH4nx-nnU

It is very funny and too true :D
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

That was very good - I saw it this weekend, one of the few times I've watched SNL lately, and one of the few funny things they've done recently.

"What if I'm a passenger who doesn't have 3 ounces with me, but is confident I can produce 3+ ounces on the flight?"

Glad you have a sense of humor about this - nowadays, you have to!

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    Thought you guys would get a laugh at this at the"Tools" expense.

SLSH4nx-nnU

It is very funny and too true :D
    Funny thingis, I think that was LGA in the very last thing shown at the end of the skit.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I can see you took a trip to Flyertalk.com to gather some argue points since it is obvious you didn't think of these yourself.
    First off no I haven't gone to flyertalk, I rarely use that site at all, everything I've pointed out were news reports and airport analyst reports. Which btw I have copies of. So I do, do research. Also do me a favor and don't you dare personally attack or insult me saying I didn't gather any of these myself. I never once attacked you or personally insulted you. I presented facts based on research I've done on my own through observation and reading. If you cannot have a spirited debate without resulting to personal attacks then I suggest you find another website. I'm giving you fair warning do not personally insult me again.

There actually is a process starting soon. We don't like the current situation.
    Well honestly I'm glad to hear that. At least we are moving in the right direction.

Would you want the job? It is an extremely hard job where congress tells you what you can do then bashes you when you do it.
    Come-on is that a real answer, spare me the violins. These guys know going in its a hard job, I never said it wasn't. But how can a organization be successful if you are getting a new vision from a leader every so often?

Did you read the whole report? I would bet not. Having a battery, watch and some wire can make a bomb but having them in a bag doesn't make it a bomb.
    Dude the GAO failed the TSA in the report plain and simple. You guys however tried to spin it making it seem like the screeners did their jobs.

At Newark you need a PR man. A good manager surrounds himself with experienced personnel. Hopefully he will do what needs to be done.
    Hello the head of security’s most notable highlight was that he was the front man for the Beach Boys! He has no security background at all!

It is called cronyism. Have you looked at the Bush administration? :roll:

When you are told to get a brand new agency up and running in months you grab who you think can do a job.
    This is precisely why DHS and the TSA are failures in their current form. I can't expect them to be a success when the current Administration threw things together based on knee jerk reaction.

Were they employed by the TSA? It is the airports responsibility to run the backgrounds. How do you think they were found?
    Interesting, when you talk to airport management at JFK and ISP they tell me you guys are in charge of airport security and they follow TSA guidelines. Arguing amongst each other as to who's in charge? I can go one further, when you talk to ISP management they go as far as to tell you Suffolk police are in charge, sometimes. Still not sure what they meant by "sometimes."

The was DHS. TSA is only one of 22 departments. None of the dogs at the WTC had boots. They wanted to make sure the dogs had boots.
    Sorry my mistake I did some further research and the number is 66,400 dollars. Fine they may need boots but don't feed me some BS it cost that much. Overspending of taxpayer dollars once again.

That's not exactly true. try research instead of just copying and pasting.

El Al wanted to screen their own bags, they use TSA equipment. True the settings are stricter than ours but it's their planes.
    So EL AL trusts the machines but not the people. That seems to be the gist of what I said, they don't have confidence in the TSA. Yep that's what I said.

TSA doesn't build the puffers. There are a very few companies who do so there are slim pickings. Congress wants them out at the checkpoints, the lab advises they are not the best they can be, this is ignored by congress and they go out. TSA pushed for the stop on new deployments until such time as the companies can show they will perform according to TSA specs. Also it isn't that they don't work. The problem is the analyize times. Right now they take too long and they slow the checkpoint down. Read the articles for the correct information.
    I think I read the articles my friend, they come up with false positives pretty often. They don't work.

They are looking to see if the boarding pass has the selectee mark. The airline contracted ticket checkers are responsible for checking the boarding passes. This may change. It is politics with the airlines. This proves that you are going on uneducated observation for your arguements.
    Go back and read my post again. I never said it was those ticket checker folks. This was uniformed TSA agent. His Supervisor could have cared less when I reported it to him. If he didn't care about that do you honestly think I'm supposed to believe he takes his job seriously?

Am I supposed to be kneeling to you now?? I am tired of the entitled passenger who thinks they are all knowing. You feel that the doors should open wide, the music sound and rose pedals dropped at your feet. Say hello to all your fellow basher friendsfor me at flyertalk.com :roll:
    Again I don't really use flytalk all that much and yes you should listen to the seasoned traveler. You sit for 8 hours a day every day doing the same thing, do you honestly think your people aren't going to miss things? Why is it so wrong that the traveler shouldn't have a say or suggest other means to improve security and the traveling experience?

Here's the facts my friend, the passenger and mainly the frequent business traveler and the airlines are your customers! They keep the airlines flying and the airlines keep your folks employed. Sounds like you just assume and take for granted air service. None of the airlines are in the business of providing air service without a profit. When the high yield customers go away the airlines go way. So yes you are going to get push back from the airlines when their passengers start bitching to them. Guess what you might be in the security business but you’re in the customer service business to.

AM I SUPPOSE TO BE IMPRESSED? It is simple, there is enough staff. What is more important, getting you the checkpoint or prevent you from taking water you bought at the airport on the clean side of the checkpoint. I can guarentee it is being done. Not a 100% as Washington first wanted but on a random bases as the FSDs recommended as not to bring the system to a halt.
    I don't think I was trying to impress you in the least. I was pointing out that with the large amount of travel I do I didn't see it being done. What message does that send to someone when all you hear in the airport over and over again that your bad will be check at the gate and its not done? Perhaps the staffing issue is one of the reasons it was dropped now that you can bring stuff back on the plane.

You know you may call me what you want, think I'm stupid, think I'm some elitist traveler who doesn't give a **** about other people, hell you might even think I'm un-American. Honestly I don't care, but I'm not going to sit back and not speak up when I see the system not working the way it should be. So now you may ask, "well what do you suggest". Well guess what I'm not a security expert, I'm not smart enough to say well this and that needs to be done, that's why we have the folks at DHS to come up with the answers. Blind patriotism is the poison of eternal vigilance.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    We just got back with some interesting and perhaps positive experiences with the TSA at a few airports.

-Went through security wearing a Southwest shirt. When asked by TSA if I worked for them, I said no. For some reason, this honest answer inspired a nasty double take and look. But hey, the WN crews loved it.

-The lines seemed to move relatively well but it was still amazing to see how ignorant some pax still are. Didnt know to take off their shoes, empty their pockets, etc.

-we were taken off the long security line at one airport. I used to think this was a good thing, taking us off the long line to go to a shorter one. Not anymore. It means you get put on a shorter but MUCH more SLOWLY moving line filled with the same pax who don't know how to keep the line going..."Ma'am, you need to remove your shoes and empty your pockets of any metal."

-Has anyone had the PUFFER test yet?! WOW!! The people in front of me thought it was a GLAUCOMA test and would not proceed through it! You walk in and various little jets puff air at you. At first I thought, yes, perhaps they ARE checking my intraocular pressures, but no. This one little doo-dad checks for other things, I am sure. Of course, there was only one of these machines though, which meant other pasengers went through a different screening process. Perhaps this inconsistency is a positive step???? And what does this machine do, if it doesnt check for intraocular pressures?

-one TSA gentleman was singing as he screened...put this to a melodic tune..."Sir, please remove your high speed shirt and place it onto the grey bin, then smurf it on through my machine. Ma'am, please remove your high speed sweater and smurf it your my machine." I can't make this stuff up.

high speed shirt? Smurfs? Was this TSA employee high on drugs? Or just happy to be doing his job on a Sunday morning?

But I'll tell you, the guy didnt have a bad voice....so I got to thinking, again, why doesnt this guy get together with some other employees and cut a CD, for the purpose of raising funds for the TSA?! It's a win win scenario, we hear music and get more money towards better security.
    Couple that with the TSA T-shirt and bottle of water fundraising campaign that I mentioned last week, I think these are simple and effective ways to get more money into better security measures via the TSA.

THE TSA: Doing the best job we can....
    the rest is just smoke and mirrors

Again, I can't take credit for the slogan as those are not my words but do take credit for the idea. Tshirts, water bottles, bottles of lotion, lip balm, gels, whatever you have to buy past the security area, the TSA should jump on and sell for a few bucks less than the competitors. Set is up as an NPO, it is a win-win-win scenario.

We'll see what the future holds.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

ha hah ah TPA has the puffers I love to just hang over there and watch first timers etc... lmao it is pretty funny they freak out
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie

-Has anyone had the PUFFER test yet?! WOW!! The people in front of me thought it was a GLAUCOMA test and would not proceed through it! You walk in and various little jets puff air at you. At first I thought, yes, perhaps they ARE checking my intraocular pressures, but no. This one little doo-dad checks for other things, I am sure. Of course, there was only one of these machines though, which meant other pasengers went through a different screening process. Perhaps this inconsistency is a positive step???? And what does this machine do, if it doesnt check for intraocular pressures?
    The official name is Explosive Trace Portal (ETP). The ETP is basically the same as the Explosive Trace Detectors seen at the checkpoint. Instead of having to swipe the air jets disrupt particles and are drawn into the machine (so it's not only a puffer but a sucker). The sample is then analyzed for various explosive materials. Due to the size of the machines it is hard to put them at every lane. Normally they are put at the selectee lane. The deployment of more of the machines have been delayed due to performance problems. Not the analyzing but the time it takes to analyze. While 20 seconds may seem quick, it is not when you have a line.

[quote:acd16]But I'll tell you, the guy didnt have a bad voice....so I got to thinking, again, why doesnt this guy get together with some other employees and cut a CD, for the purpose of raising funds for the TSA?! It's a win win scenario, we hear music and get more money towards better security.
    Couple that with the TSA T-shirt and bottle of water fund raising campaign that I mentioned last week, I think these are simple and effective ways to get more money into better security measures via the TSA.

THE TSA: Doing the best job we can....
    the rest is just smoke and mirrors

Again, I can't take credit for the slogan as those are not my words but do take credit for the idea. Tshirts, water bottles, bottles of lotion, lip balm, gels, whatever you have to buy past the security area, the TSA should jump on and sell for a few bucks less than the competitors. Set is up as an NPO, it is a win-win-win scenario.

We'll see what the future holds.
    [/quote:acd16]

Unfortunately there are federal regulations against such fund raising. I suspect the previously mentioned bag selling is not TSA related but a vendor taking advantage of the situation.
    Ronald Reagan

I went through the puffer at FLL last week. I was startled at how hard the air actually blew, and my shirt came up a little. I thought about how unsuspecitng women might feel a little violated, but I still didn't mind the process.

It was otherwise painless, but did not detect my own releasing of methane gas into the area. ;)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Phil, those puffer machines don't pick up methane. There is too much of that sourrounding many government backed agencies.

Could you imagine? The machine would constantly be kicking out false positives if that were the case. ;)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187