Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Relaxes Air Travel Restrictions

U.S. Relaxes Air Travel Restrictions

whoopee!

U.S. Relaxes Air Travel Restrictions
    September 25, 2006

By JOHN HOLUSHA
    Air travelers will be allowed to carry drinks bought at the airport onto planes and to have small amounts of liquids and gels in their carry-on bags, the Department of Homeland Security said today.

The new rules, which will go into effect Tuesday, allow travelers to carry liquids, gels or aerosols in containers of 3 ounces or less, as long as they all fit into a clear 1-quart plastic bag that can be screened at the security checkpoint. Drinks and other items purchased in the secure part of the airport, beyond the checkpoint, will also be allowed onto planes.

The new regulations will apply to all domestic and international flights departing from United States airports, the agency said.

The decision slightly relaxes a broad ban on liquids and gels in carry-on bags. The ban was imposed last month after British officials arrested a group of people who they said were planning to bomb airplanes flying to the United States, using liquids combined on board to form explosives.

The changes ease the “somewhat blunt measures” imposed on Aug. 10 after the arrests in Britain, said Michael Jackson, the deputy secretary of the department. He said security experts had concluded that small quantities of eye drops, lip gloss or perfume do not constitute a danger to aircraft.

The new rules appear not to affect purchases in duty-free shops, which must be packed in checked luggage for domestic travel, under Transportation Security Administration rules.

The changes, announced at a news conference today in Washington, reflect a conclusion among officials in Europe and North America that a total ban on liquids is no longer needed to ensure security. Homeland Security officials said that they expected Canada to announce similar new rules today and that some European countries were moving in the same direction.

Air travelers can still put their liquids and gels in their checked luggage to speed their passage through security checks, officials said. Carry-on bags should be simply packed and easy to inspect, to avoid slowing down lines at security checkpoints, they said.

Still a joke and I still have to check a roller for a one night trip!!! the TSA just doesn't get it.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    they'll never learn, will they?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I saw them interviewing a bunch of pilots on TV who were even like "the rule is stupid and won't prevent anything."

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    They are tools.

Having said that, can I bring my camera bag onboard?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    They are tools.

You were able to bring your bag on during the ban, just no liquid and such. Funny how you can't bring water but high tech electronics, welcome aboard!

Just traveled this week Mario. Camera equipment is fine. But to echo Tommy's comments, "Don't even think of bringing on that Latte".....although I think they just lifted that ban today.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Still a joke and I still have to check a roller for a one night trip!!! the TSA just doesn't get it.
    Actually we do get it and if you read some of the reports I have you would probably want more prohibited.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    they'll never learn, will they?
    Learn new ways how they want to blow up planes every day!!

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    They are tools.

You couldn't figure out you could take a camera bag on board and you call us tools. Oh, stop you make me laugh so hard.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    Actually we do get it and if you read some of the reports I have you would probably want more prohibited.
    And that would make the industry 100% safe? It's all just fluff to give the public a warm and fuzzy feeling.

The fact is that flying will never be completely safe and while the TSA does its best to create an environment that appears solid, it isn't even close. They don't have the resourses in place to do their jobs most effectively.....funding is inadequate. Until then.....roll the dice.

-Rich

Patrick Smith (author of the book "Ask the Pilot" and the Salon.com column of the same name) had this to say about the security measures in the first place:

So what happens to this stuff? Does the bomb squad come in every evening and cart it away in steel casks? Don't be ridiculous. It's hurled into the trash. The line of reasoning goes like this: We already know these items are harmless, but we're going to take them anyway. Later, after you leave, we will dump them down the drain.
    I think he makes a very good point: if the items could be explosive, why aren't they handled more carefully, and if they're generally not going to be explosive, why ban them in the first place?
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

T-Bird76 wrote:

I'm sure those reports are all nice and all but you guys don't get it. Explain the following to me and still tell me you get it.

-Tell me about the vetting process for ground workers or lack there of?

-The office of the TSA Administrator has been a revolving door - four Administrators in four years.

-The GAO last spring demonstrated how bad airport screening is, with the TSA failing 21 of 21 tests.

-The Federal Security Director at Newark, as I noted in a past editorial, has no security experience, and whose career high point, according to the TSA's own website, was being the PR man for the Beach Boys. Flight 93 ring a bell?

-Why for a period of time, one of the highest ranking officials in TSA Maritime security was Norman Mineta's former press secretary?

-Why at Washington Dulles, "dozens" of illegal aliens were discovered working in secure areas?

-Why at EWR some homeless people were found on the AOA?

-Why has the TSA spent 40,000 dollars on doggy boots?

-reported by USA Today...

"...Christopher Cadorna, 25, and Benny Arcano, 27, agreed to cooperate with the government's investigation after admitting they belonged to a group of TSA screeners who stole at least $20,000 from international travelers, prosecutors said..."

-Why did El Al say no way will they let the TSA screen for their flights?

-Why have puffer machines at airports and not use them, oh that's right they've been found to be pieces of crap and don't work half the time.

-I've flown 20,000 miles in the last 90 days, how come not one of the airports I've flown through were checking bags at the gate for liquids like you guys say you might about a millions times over the airport PA? Its BS I saw plenty of people bring water on planes. Not once, large airport or small were their gate checks. Please don't say it’s random and I must have missed it, 20,000 miles in 90 days I would have seen it at least once.

Shall I go on? Btw thank you Mr. Mike Boyd for reporting a number of the above. I know you work for the TSA and I don't blame most of the frontline guys especially in your position but your leaders are inept and haven't had a clue for a long time. As for those reports, you know what NO I don't want it more restrictive! This isn't a police state, the American people understand there are certain risks when it comes to terrorism and we live with it.

If the TSA becomes more restrictive we won't have to worry about terrorism in the sky because all the airlines will be out of business because no one will fly. If you think that is out of the question then you guys really don't have a clue. The airlines are expecting a 30% drop in business travel because of the restrictions on liquids. Tell me why a female going to Chicago for a day wants to check her purse because the liquids she's carrying can't be taken aboard anymore? Those are generally the highest yielding customers for the airlines.

As for the liquids you guys knew it was a threat before the London plot was uncovered. Why didn't we ban liquids before that? That has perplexed me still to this day. The material these guys used had such a distinct smell current technology out there could have picked it up, but we don't have it in place.

I'm not directing this at you personally but at the TSA. You can't pull the wool over someone's eyes that travel as much as I do. I see it every time I fly. I wish I could capture the TSA agents at LGA; they are the most unprofessional bunch I have ever seen, not a clue!. I made the mistake once of handing a TSA agent my connecting boarding pass, nothing, they said nothing, just handed it back to me and off I went. I pointed it out to a Supervisor and they didn't care, the said they just look at my name. What BS!!!! At that point you don't have to show them your id so what's the point of looking at my name. Next time I'll just grab an old boarding pass and stroll on through... Lets get real here the TSA has done nothing to increase security at our airports, I've said it before and I'll say it again, it’s a federal job program. Maybe you guys should start listening to passengers like me instead of just coming out and saying “we get it”

Tommy,

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel?

:)
    It's the fares, stupid

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I've flown 20,000 miles in the last 90 days, how come not one of the airports I've flown through were checking bags at the gate for liquids like you guys say you might about a millions times over the airport PA? Its BS I saw plenty of people bring water on planes. Not once, large airport or small were their gate checks. Please don't say it’s random and I must have missed it, 20,000 miles in 90 days I would have seen it at least once.
    Well, it does happen. I flew LGA-MYR on 8/14 and TSA was checking through people's bags as we lined up for boarding. No search on the return trip out of MYR, though.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Doing the ISP-MDW shuffle today, first day of the new rules. I won't go into details, (don't want to tip off any terrorists reading NYCA) but let me say the procedures at both airports were inconsistant, and wouldn't stop me from carrying illegal liquids on board.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    You couldn't figure out you could take a camera bag on board and you call us tools.

As I allow my glass of merlot's bouquet to manifest itself...

emshighway, I am sorry you think that couldn't figure it out. I just couldn't be bothered to sift through the inconsistently followed website your establishment has and would rather ask friends who have flown recently of their real experiences. Between my friends' experiences and comments read on flyertalk.com, I have realistic expectations. I may be a fully fledged Craftsman with miles to learn and only a few meager years of education under my decreasing beltline, but I'd think twice before posting if I were you.

T-bird already gave a play by play so I wont go into that. In fact, emshighway, since you feel so strongly, I think you have a lot of points to address and I look forward to your retort.

But I will comment on El Al. They are THE gold standard in security. They are YOUR example to follow. You are welcome to read my copy of a book on El Al by Mike Machat. Has some really exquisite drawings in it.

But if you can emulate what El Al has done, then great. My tax dollars have been well spent. If nothing else ever came of this discussion, let it be that I employ you, as a representative of the TSA, to use our tax dollars righteously.

Let me draw on our own personal experiences:

JFK-SYD- I asked the agent to hand check my 12 rolls of film since I was flying on 10 segments over the next few weeks. She refused to, saying the film speed wasnt a problem. Then I showed her a printout of your own treasured webpage and said that I could ask to have it hand checked and not put through the machine. Boy was she pissed that she had to do her job.

MIA-JFK-, Your TSA crew were busy making comments about my wife and I in Creole language as they screened us through. They were talking nonsense about a pair of green Doc Martens that I wore and paying more attention to that rather than screening. Weren't they surprised when I called them on it, as I am fluent in French and Creole. IF I recall correctly, I spoke to the supervisor ans asked, politely, "what do my green Doc Martens have to do with anything?" Very professional. :roll:

JFK-LHR TSA agent forced wife to take off her open toe shoes....I am wearing RM WILLIAMS boots. No problem, leave them on. Yet the gent in front of us had to remove his cowboy boots. So how much more contraband can a pair of my boots hold compared to her open toe mules?? Why the inconsistency?

ISP-PVD-, the good TSA folks at ISP (emshighway, you can take credit for them) found that I had a corkscrew opener in my bag and asked I leave it. Of course I obliged. I mean seriously it was the day of my engagement and I was not thinking straight for obvious reasons.

But 8 hours later, at PVD, I bought a corkscrew, I proposed, forgot about it and simply boarded with it back in PVD. I didnt even realize it til I got home. Talk about inconsistent and scary! We are talking about the same ITEM in the SAME DAY!!! RIGHT hours later.
    And yes, Newsday did print my editorial about that incident.

Maybe I was wrong to use that word.

And emshighway, notice how others posting here are echoing the same sentiment. Most are talking about inconsistency.

So, in retrospect, I apologize for calling the TSA 'tools'. That was a sophomoric choice of words on my part.

Instead, based on our collective experiences, the TSA is an organization that was hired to give us the illusion of protecting us without actually doing so. Some of its employees will a) refuse to carry out duties as delineated on its uber-informative website, b) make fun of travelers to pass the time instead of screen passengers and c) will not apply consistent procedures, as noted within an 8 hour window of reference.

But since I couldn't find a single word to explain all that, all I could think of was "tools". I am very sorry.

I really don't expect a reasonable reply, since none of this is in your hands. But when you wonder why people are infuriated with the TSA, I am just another man (in a tiny country of how many million?) drawing on my own experiences.

But I do look forward to your reply to T-Birds points. I do enjoy intelligent reading.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187