Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Final flight of the F-14 to land on LI October 4th!

Final flight of the F-14 to land on LI October 4th!

Still trying to confirm this, but word on Fence Check has F-14 #164603, originally destined for the Virginia Air Museum slated to arrive on LI October 4th. The Museum in Richmond received a bird last week that was previously scheduled to go to AMARC. According to the current fly-off schedule for the rest of VF-31's Tomcats this will be the final Tomcat flight...ever. Unless you live in Iran that is. My fingers are crossed!
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

What??? LI as in LONG ISLAND??? I am tired but are you saying it may land at Calverton....er... McArthur....omm.....Farmingdale???
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Final location is slated as Grumman/Bethpage so Republic would be my guess. If true how fitting an end to US Navy Tomcat operations this would be.
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Calverton is a closed airfied
    Jetblue Pilot departure announcement : "We are pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry ...Unfortunately none of them are on this flight...!"

Sky Dive Long Island operates out of Calverton. (See Below)

http://www.skydivelongisland.com/facilities.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by K9DEP
    Calverton is a closed airfied
    Yep...but you can call up the owner and have clearance for landing granted.....My friend went there last year for a pitstop in a 152.....
    Could you imagine if they brought it to Calverton???
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    DO please keep us advsied. When It happens, I won't be taking photos. Moments like that need to be felt seen smelled and heard!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

So this a one-way trip, meaning LI could be getting another static Tomcat memorial? Maybe Northrup Grumman wants to set something up if the final destination is Bethpage.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Wow this is very cool news!! Lets hope if they do land her at at Calverton they open it up for people to come and watch. I knew I heard somone scream last night, now I know it was Fred! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Wow this is very cool news!! Lets hope if they do land her at at Calverton they open it up for people to come and watch. I knew I heard somone scream last night, now I know it was Fred! LOL
    You must have heard 2 screams because I was first!
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    DO please keep us advsied. When It happens, I won't be taking photos. Moments like that need to be felt seen smelled and heard!
    You could not be more correct Mario. I'll be an emotional wreck so I wouldn't get any clear pictures anyway! :cry:
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Confirmed!!!!!!!

To quote renowned Tomcat photographer and author David F. Brown, "IT IS WRITTEN, LET IT BE DONE. I HEREBY CONFIRM 164603 WILL ARRIVE OVER LONG ISLAND, 4 OCTOBER 2006, THEREBY MAKING THE LAST TOMCAT LAUNCH, BREAK FOR AND LANDING IN HISTORY."

And Fred, it's a Wednesday. So you will be among the hundreds, if not thousands, on hand to witness a most historic and melancholic day in aviation history.
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Well I won't be going @#$#@$#%#@#$@ :x :x :x

HELL YEA! Please let me know the desination and ETA when available...if not, I will have to sleep over at the airport! :lol:

Thank you SOOOOOooooo much for keeping us in the loop on this one!
    Bitter/SWEET! I never thought I would see her fly again!

I PREY to every supreme being in existance that it is in the afternoon so I can catch a train to get there in time...I will gladly spend a hundred bucks to see this.

Quick question to anyone familiar with the LIRR: I assume going from Penn to Pinelawn, I will have to change trains at Jamaica? (Sorry, I don't ride the rails too often, want to make sure i get this right)
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com