Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Final flight of the F-14 to land on LI October 4th!

Not sure of the actual term, but they look like the afterburner injectors.

Yep...Fuel lines and connections for the Burner!

I love the Jet engine....actuall I love ALL engines. I always wanted to fix
    all types of engines and started with 2 cycle then to four stroke, Ya
    know... intake, compression, ignition, exaust.... then you move to the
    big guns.

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

but much more expensive ha hahahahaahah
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Great shots Fred. When I saw the moon & clouds last night, I knew you would be out!

Wow nice shots there Fred,
    Its kind of sad to know that just a few hours ago this plane was still fully functional. They didn't waste any time getting to it.

Senga

Tired....was up late at the airport again taking pictures.....got in trouble with wifie for being out with another girl (Tomcat) but told her that it was OK because she was declawed. I got shots of them taking out the gun, inserting the nozzles into the back of the engines. Then last night I got many shots and happened to meet another forum member in the process. Great Night, good friends and a complaining wife for being out so late....what more could I ask for!

Hope to see some pictures soon -Fred
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

So what's going to become of all these removed parts? Are they going to be scrapped, saved as spare parts, or possibly turned into museum displays? I'd love to see at least one of those engines stay intact as an exhibit.

I'm going out to pick up my pics now, I'll put em up as soon as I run 'em through photoshop...
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan
    So what's going to become of all these removed parts? Are they going to be scrapped, saved as spare parts, or possibly turned into museum displays? I'd love to see at least one of those engines stay intact as an exhibit.

I'm going out to pick up my pics now, I'll put em up as soon as I run 'em through photoshop...
    Kept in a safe place just incase W want world domination....they are saved to support the fleet of F-14 that is in mothballs incase we go to a big war.... Lots of Tomcats in storage = Quick aircraft in case we get in trouble......but it would have to be BIG TROUBLE!

Finally got to my shots...

Making the final break:

A note from the pilot to his bird:

Right before engine removal in the morning:

The last 2 are dedicated to Derf...the leader of the night photographers brigade.

Awesome pics guys, just beautiful. I am more of an airliner fan but what kid that grew up in the '80s didn't see Top Gun and want to fly one of these things? Now, if only Tom Cruise would retire so gracefully...

Who were the mech'w who tore her apart, they weren't Navy guys were they?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Who were the mech'w who tore her apart, they weren't Navy guys were they?
    No, the guy at the museum mentioned who they are, a contract outfit that does this type of work, but I forget the company name he said.

I think Fred has been living at FRG this week. I stopped by this afternoon, only to run into him at the museum. Of couse, I had to shoot some:

Inside the nose gear door:

The back of the ejection seat assembly:

Good to see there is a warranty on the seat - "If this seat fails to operate properly, please return for a full refund..." Of course, Martin-Baker seats rarely failed to operate properly.

Heres a few more angles of "Felix Zero One" we haven't seen yet :)
    FS2004

Senga

Nice shots Moose & LIJK. Felix 101 looks spot on for FS2004 except for the drop tanks from VF-103, The Jolly Rogers.

Nice working with you the other night Fred. These are dedicated to you. Although I was totally unprepared having no flash and only one battery coupled with dodging the rain I don't think I did too bad for a first timer at night.

+++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

MORS:

Not bad for a first go. Those shots were my first foray into night work as well and I didnt have Fred around to help. So I didnt have the flash either. Looks like you had some better angles, all my stuff was shot with the tripod on the ground. Either way, it's cool to see these shots day after day to see the progress.