Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Final flight of the F-14 to land on LI October 4th!

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    what time is this all supposed to happen? i don't have to work until 1400 and would definately want to drive out there for that, even if it would mean going out to CTO... by the way, you can land at CTO just need prior permission. i did it once, and thought the wheels would fall off. that strip definately isn't maintained well...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Republic it is! I assume in the late morning or early afternoon since this is when all the other museum arrivals are scheduled.

Grumman Fan you may want to look into taking the train to Amityville or Farmingdale then the bus or cab respectively. Stopping at Pinelawn can be a real hassle if your're not on the right car, plus stops are half as frequent.
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Right on! I'll be at work from 8-5 tho, maybe I can take off. Rob where are your Oceana pics?

If I can get out of working at the computer lab that day, I WILL BE THERE. The Tomcat Sunset ceremony is this weekend, and yeah, I'm not going there. October 4 is the real Tomcat sunset.

this is going to be amazing.. figuring the 14 did 1 night pass at oceana :(... i cannot wait!

The aircraft will be a repeat vistitor. It's the pencil nose CAG bird we saw back in June as seen here.

+++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

<---------------------- I love swing-wing aircraft!

Very sad day! I've always been a Tomcat fan. I'll be just as unhappy when our F-111's retire...
    Glenn Stewart
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Twitter: Inodes

going ot try to get that day off as well.... need to be there.

for taking the LIRR to pinelawn you have to be in the last two cars in order to get off, just from experience.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by glennstewart
    <---------------------- I love swing-wing aircraft!

Very sad day! I've always been a Tomcat fan. I'll be just as unhappy when our F-111's retire...
    I've never seen the Earth Pig fly so I gotta get over there before they're gone. 2010 is the date right now I think, although I think the RAAF is looking to extend that and save some money as well by pushing off the F-35 another couple of years.
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by MORS-AB-ALTO
    I've never seen the Earth Pig fly so I gotta get over there before they're gone. 2010 is the date right now I think, although I think the RAAF is looking to extend that and save some money as well by pushing off the F-35 another couple of years.
    They're old, but they are certainly a much loved aircraft in the RAAF. The Amberley base keeps them in very good shape. I think good enough that in an exercise in the US a few years back with many of the allies, the RAAF F-111 was the only aircraft to maintain a 100% availability record. That says something for an aircraft so old that the USAF has already retired them (Australia and the US were the only countries of course to use the F-111 - and we have been grabbing spare parts from the US for our fleet.... keeps 'em nice and shiny).

The Hornet's are being upgraded at the moment. They're quite good too, but they lack the F-111 range.

Personally, I think the F-35 might end up being a white elephant. I'd love my government to get their hands on the Raptor, but that's highly unlikely (and highly unaffordable).

Apart from that, the latest purchase of four C-17's for the RAAF is the biggest bit of good news. The first one will be delivered from Long Beach into Sydney in November this year.
    Glenn Stewart
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

i've got the day off... will be there.... wherever it is!

Looking forward to seeing some great last shots of the Tomcat! I suppose they'll put a couple out at Intrepid.
    Glenn Stewart
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by glennstewart
    Looking forward to seeing some great last shots of the Tomcat! I suppose they'll put a couple out at Intrepid.
    They have one...here is a few shots I took this past summer

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    They have one...here is a few shots I took this past summer
    Pity Intrepid will be closed for my visit :cry:
    She looks gorgeous in that livery. Is that the original test aircraft livery?
    Glenn Stewart
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

It is not the original, but it was the test scheme for the re-engined SUPER TOMCAT....
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".