Thread: Advice req: spotting LGA / EWR

Advice req: spotting LGA / EWR

Hi all. This is my first message on your excellent forum / website.

I'm in NYC next week on a Flight Safety course but have a day spare to take in the sights (airports of course!!!).
    Can anyone advise practicality with current security situation for LGA and EWR next Sunday 17th Sept, bearing in mind that I will be at the mercies of public transport and will have a suitcase with me. I wont have my camera gear with me, so it is reggie spotting only, and I would like to do LGA in the morning / early pm, before going over to EWR, where I fly from on Sunday night back to the UK.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted

Brgrds Darryl

Hi Darryl! Welcome to the site!

LGA is a much better place for reggie logging because it's easier to get clsoe to the action. The best spot is Planeview Park becuase of the benches and such.

As for security, you should be fine. Just have your ID on your in case someone approaches you.

EWR is an airport that I'm not too familiar with, but you should be ok if you're just jotting reggies.

If you have any more questions, let us know.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Either airport isn't easy to get to by public transportation but since I know LaGuardia I'll tell you that one.

If you are coming from Manhattan you can take a Queens bound 7, E, F, N, R or Q line train to 74 Street and Roosevelt Avenue stop. If you take the 7 train (elevated in Queens so you get some nice sightseeing during the ride), go down stairs. There is a small bus depot, take the bus to LaGuardia (sorry I don't know the number).

Your best bet is to go to the Central Terminal Building. Once there go behind the ticket counters near a few bars between the B & C concourses. There is an escalator there, take it up to the third floor. At the top of the escalators are large windows where you can see out to the ramps and runways. This is probably the best spot since it is before the security checkpoints.

The park Phil mentioned is outside the airport on the opposite side of the Grand Central Parkway at 23rd Avenue and about 84th Street (near the Vaughan College (the old academy of aeronautics). The park has a nice overview of the runways and depending on which is used the come in almost right over you.

Enjoy your time.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the tips. Dependant on weather and runway in use I'll go for Planeview Park. emshighway - love your avatar - couldnt have been a 146 - not quick enough for that on the ground!

Brgrds Darryl

I picked it up during my travels. I could only get one up to 110 in a ground vehicle.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Was great meeting you this weekend. Hope we get to cross paths again soon. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].