Thread: Strange ATIS

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Strange ATIS

just picked up the LGA atis a few minutes ago, was trying to figure out who is landing the planes that are flying over my house. it's rare for me to have traffic over my house, especially flying north to south the way they are. from my window i can usually see the ILS 4 and viual 31 arrivals but not what's going on now. anywya, i digress. here is the ATIS:

information E 0551Z
    visibility 8
    7000 FEW, 13000 SKT, 25000 BKN, 26000 BKN
    temp 20/ dewpoint 18
    altimeter 3001
    LaGuardia airport closed to all fixed wing arrivals, contact new york departure for advisories.
    class B services on 126.05.

i've never actually heard the ATIS guy say the italisezed part, that's what strikes me as strange... i know the airport is closed, but given the wx we had here today i expected the curfew to be lifted or at least pushed back.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

LGA ATIS INFO F 0651Z. 11006KT 10SM FEW007 SCT035 BKN050 BKN250 19/18 A3000 (THREE ZERO ZERO ZERO). LGA ARPT CLSD TO FIXED WINGS ARRIVALS CTC NY DEP FOR ADZYS. LGA CLASS B SERV AVLB ON FREQ 126.05 ...ADVS you have INFO F.

I see that in effect almost every late evening.

Yeah last night I was at my office and my telex gives me all the ground stops etc etc.. and LGA came off due to WX and I was listening to JFK tower online yesterday as well and they were reporting windshear with gains and losses of up to 25 knots at certain points it was pretty bad I know a couple of Eagle RJ's cancelled their approaches due to it. Perhaps that is what happened at LGA as well
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

ATIS is like that overnight everyday as far as I know, but what were you hearing land at 3am?

Matt, the situation you explained seems very normnal to me....where ATIS says they are closed, but still hearing landings.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i can't figure out what it was that was flying overhead. they don't do that in good wx, only on rare occasions in low ceilings so i can't see anything.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.