Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Security Incident at JFK over T-shirt?

Security Incident at JFK over T-shirt?

I understand the checks....but so much for not racial profiling....On a side
    note...this guy is a jackass for wearing it. He was tempting them plain
    and simple but were they right??? Were his rights Violated? Hmmm

Some opinions please...
    http://parkerstudio.com/AAW/JFK_story.html
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

And what would happen if people complained about having a Middle-Eastern looking person on the flight - would they make him take the bus? He did nothing wrong, the shirt wasn't offensive or threatening, and he shouldn't have been made to change it.

While it wasn't smart of him to wear it, he did nothing wrong and jetblue and the other officials were in the wrong for it.

I mean come on, I am hearing impaired and I could wear a shirt syaing "we wont be silent" menaing deaf, is THAT gonna be a threat to new york? Nah.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

So much for freedom of speech. I've seen these shirts around NYC, including on an elderly couple wearing them on the 1 train last week. Nobody called for their detention, inspection or removal from the subway. The world has many languages. Arabic is a language, indeed there are many US citizens of Arab heritage. As for the message, it has nothing to do with terrorism. It is primarily a show of solidarity with Arab people such as the Iraqis we are supposedly liberating and the Lebanese we are hoping to democratize. What an example to set by banning their language as a 'threat.' This guy should sue JetBlue or whoever was in charge of the situation for violating his First Amendment rights. I'm sure if he had a Hebrew shirt that said "Stand with Israel" they' d have given him an extra bag of blue chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonstop2AUH
    I'm sure if he had a Hebrew shirt that said "Stand with Israel" they' d have given him an extra bag of blue chips.
    Lets touch on this point then.

Why do you suppose the difference?
    "Keep 'em Flying"

If passengers felt uncomfortable, then JetBlue has a right to approach the man. Also, this guy was asking for this. Racial profiling exists, and is necessary because of what these animal terrorists have been done. This guy wears a shirt with Arabic written on it saying "we shall be heard" or whatever and doesn't expect anyone to be wary? Give me a break! If you want to make a statement, don't do it at an airport or in a situation where middle eastern people are under tight scruting as is.

This guy just wants attention. Well done, Jetblue and TSA.

Also, "we shall not be silent" can imply that this group might be planning some sort of retaliation, whereas Support Israel does not imply or suggest any action. Two entirely different statements.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

I'm sorry but I don't think the TSA and jetBlue in this case were in the wrong. The fact of the matter is every attempt to bring down an airliner has been by Muslims. If I knew what the shirt meant I think I'd feel a bit uncomfortable with him on board. He does fit the profile of most Middle Eastern men who have attempted or have taken down airliners. Your rights are your rights just like free speech but I'm not going to joke around in an airport about a bomb just like this guy should have been smart enough to where something more intelligent. He brought the attention onto himself on his own, he got what he deserved.

I agree that while this might "violate freedom of speech," this was a stupid move on his part. Him doing this seems like an immature way of exhibiting his rights and being a smart ass, even. I hate it when people do things just because they CAN, even (or especially) if it's controversial.

Think about it this way too. While the 2nd amendment is your right to bear arms, you can NOT do that in an airport/on a plane. Not that the t-shirt was an immediate threat as a gun would be, but it does indicate hostility or controversy...something that travelers do not want on their planes nowadays. He obviously was either not using common sense or was just very self righteous (I suspect the latter).

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Your rights are your rights just like free speech but I'm not going to joke around in an airport about a bomb just like this guy should have been smart enough to where something more intelligent. He brought the attention onto himself on his own, he got what he deserved.
    There are some legitimate cases where public safety overrides free speech - no, you don't yell "Movie" in a crowded firehouse, but what this guy did posed no threat to anyone. He wasn't joking about a bomb or other threats to the flight. He had been through screening, so he shouldn't have had any weapons in his possession, the only problem was some of the sheep who believe the government fear-mongering tactics reacted in a closed-minded way to his shirt.

This keeps up, and pretty soon they will tell us we can't take pictures of airplanes because someone is afraid we may be up to no good. Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    I agree that while this might "violate freedom of speech," this was a stupid move on his part. Him doing this seems like an immature way of exhibiting his rights and being a smart ass, even. I hate it when people do things just because they CAN, even (or especially) if it's controversial.......
    While I agree with you and this statement 100%, Now instead of it being an shirt written in Arabic....replace this incident with aviation photographers taking pictures of airplanes from the airport fence.....This is lots of people feel when the see us taking pictures by airports. Perception and law are two different things. But people do think the same about us....

Not sure where that came from but....hmmmm
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

There is sooooo much crap put out by our ever so "informative" media in America that not even the cops know what the rules etc........ The guy was probably one of those people who has to go out and push the limits of tolerence as far as people go too. I understand both sides of the spectrum. I was watching the seige on HBO before i went to JFK around 3 am or so and kind of thinking about how we have became a watered down version of the police state portrayed in that movie sometimes.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    I agree that while this might "violate freedom of speech," this was a stupid move on his part. Him doing this seems like an immature way of exhibiting his rights and being a smart ass, even. I hate it when people do things just because they CAN, even (or especially) if it's controversial.......
    While I agree with you and this statement 100%, Now instead of it being an shirt written in Arabic....replace this incident with aviation photographers taking pictures of airplanes from the airport fence.....This is lots of people feel when the see us taking pictures by airports. Perception and law are two different things. But people do think the same about us....

Fred you know first hand we get stopped and booted out of places while spotting. However the difference here is he's Muslim wearing a T-shirt that draws attention to himself. Did he think no one was going to stop him? Lets be real here!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Fred you know first hand we get stopped and booted out of places while spotting. However the difference here is he's Muslim wearing a T-shirt that draws attention to himself. Did he think no one was going to stop him? Lets be real here!
    Tom, I am not saying that he is not a Jaggoff, I am saying that they did not follow the LAW by making him change it

So a Muslim picks up a camera at an airport fence......

I understand where you are coming from Tom...that is the problem.... there really is no right and wrong as far as most people think. But they did Not follow the LAW and that should be plain WRONG. If police officers say to me that he does not like....I snap in and say....What law am I breaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Derf

I don't think this is comparable. We usually aren't on airport property when taking photos, and when we are and are asked to leave, we oblige. Also, the people who are on the plane can't see us and therefore we aren't making THEM uncomfortable. It's obvious that when people call the cops on a very public, usually large group of photographers, they are just over-dramatic and like to start trouble. Most of us look as if we couldn't hurt a fly...and we stand around in a group laughing and even interacting with passers-by...we are not the "usual suspects."

Point remains, no matter what side of this argument you are on, I think it's safe to say that what this guy did was ignorant and provocative.