Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Security Incident at JFK over T-shirt?

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    Also, from what I read in the newspapers, he was an admitted ACTIVIST. There's no way he didn't put thought into wearing that to the airport, to "prove his rights."

I've been quiet about it and gathering facts and in light of the fact that he's an activist, I have to side with Phil and Mel.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Both points duly noted.

Its easy to see any of us, especially myself, can be headstrong. We will love or hate as our emotions fuel that passion. And by doing so certain elements can be overlooked, ignored or exaggerated.

That's one of those great things we can do under the Constitution, ya know, that silly paper someday is going to wipe there heiney with and flush it away.

Love, Peace and Airplane grease!
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

I love you Mike! :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I love you Mike! :)
    I'ts all good!
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

I think those flights to the USA will all be fine Nonstop... however, its funny you bring this up.."Western" carriers to the Middle East have to be very careful not to offend muslim sensibilities...

http://www.nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1494

showing/having crusifixes or bibles etc... quite understandable actually in a country that has religious police push female school children back into a burning building because their faces are not covered.

No need either to get into all this racial stuff.. I believe the abolitionist movement was born in the USA (and UK).. certainly not much slavery nowadays - apart from places like the Sudan...anyway..

Some citizens in the US are certainly prejudiced of course, and many are far too foolishly alarmed by people of middle eastern appearance -although much of that it has to be stated is derived by continued plots and acts of violence by islamists throughout the US and indeed worldwide.. - plenty of it well after "911".. and plenty of it before.... Neither muslims nor Americans have an exclusive on gaining a poor reputation.

I have read the young man's blogs/website btw and it certainly appears he is a "make a difference" peacenik moreso than an in-your-face" activist, and I do agree his rights were violated by having to change his shirt in this instance, but in the greater scheme of things, not the end of the world...(for him, the US, civil rights in general, muslims in the USA, jetBlue, TSA etc..)

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Nonstop2AUH
    On October 26 the first Etihad flight will be arriving at JFK. It will undoubtedly contain Arabs and people with things written in Arabic and Arabic writing on the side of the aircraft, as do the aircraft from Emirates, Saudi, Egyptair, Kuwait, etc. that arrive on a daily or near-daily basis. Do those of you who think Arabic is 'threatening' intend to call the SWAT team? I could understand this mentality in the less ethnically diverse parts of America where the non-white and non-christian are treated with suspicion, but this is New York City, have you not been to Astoria, Brooklyn, and other parts of the city where there is plenty of signage in Arabic? Some of you are no different than those in the '50s and '60s that thought every black person who spoke out for civil rights was a potential threat and justified it with the excuse that "blacks commit alot of crime" and they are 'all the same.' And if you somehow think this is different, it isn't. The message on the shirt refers specifically to the fact that the opinions of Arab-Americans have largely been systematically disregarded in recent years by the government and the media. If they are to be stripped of their rights to have an opinion, at the airport or anywhere else, then it needs to be done through legislation, not by individual TSA agents or JetBlue hourly employees. For those of you who think it's about 9/11 and 'not taking any chances,' well, some people did die in an airliner this weekend, and it had nothing to do with Arabs or t-shirts.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

What you read in news articles and this persons blog is a one sided story. This guy was looking for the attention. JetBlue, the Port and TSA received numerous complaints from passengers even before he reached the checkpoint. He was made a selectee by JetBlue. He went through the checkpoint and the complaints continued.

A JetBlue Rep, Port Officer and TSA Inspector went to speak to the person in response to these complaints. In my opinion the person was treated very well. He was advised of the problem and given solutions so he could still fly and the other passengers would feel comfortable. JetBlue could have just refused to allow him to fly, end of story. The persons involved tried to explain the problem using and analogy which was conveniently used against them in the blog and jumped upon by the news.

This person went to the airport with full knowledge he would cause a stir. He would have loved it if he was handcuffed and dragged away but instead he was treated with respect but he still needed to complain.

JetBlue, PAPD and the TSA needed to respond to the complaints. If they hadn't they would have been delinquent in their duty. They balanced the rights of this person with the rights of the rest of the passengers.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I've been holding back a bit of my thoughts so that I could share it in this week's editorial.

http://nycaviation.com/editorials#derner090306

Golf Clap to Phil :D
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I read Phil's editorial and I found it a little disturbing. You have to preface this by remembering how Phil reacted when he saw "somebody that appeared middle eastern" videotaping from a bridge which prompted him to call 911. I felt this to be an overreation, I also fail to see how a shirt thay says "we will not be silent" would lead you to believe that he was about to initiate some sort of action, whether written is Arabic or not. I don't think that is the case at all. Freedom of speech can not have consessions. I don't see why someone had to cover up their shirt to baord a plane that said something like that. He went through screening and had no weapons so let the damn guy fly. So who cares if his shirt made some pax nervousor drew suspicion? Doesn't our spotting make some people nervous and some suspicious? What does that mean? We have to stop? No. We have to stop this paranoia already. It's getting worse.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    I read Phil's editorial and I found it a little disturbing. You have to preface this by remembering how Phil reacted when he saw "somebody that appeared middle eastern" videotaping from a bridge which prompted him to call 911. I felt this to be an overreation, I also fail to see how a shirt thay says "we will not be silent" would lead you to believe that he was about to initiate some sort of action, whether written is Arabic or not. I don't think that is the case at all. Freedom of speech can not have consessions. I don't see why someone had to cover up their shirt to baord a plane that said something like that. He went through screening and had no weapons so let the damn guy fly. So who cares if his shirt made some pax nervousor drew suspicion? Doesn't our spotting make some people nervous and some suspicious? What does that mean? We have to stop? No. We have to stop this paranoia already. It's getting worse.
    Nick many times we have to stop spotting and move on; remember your encounter a few weeks ago? The police made you move on. This is a case of clear social responsibility, which this gentleman didn't display any of. An airport is no place to display your political beliefs. Also just because you passed security doesn't mean you can't be screened or questioned again and asked to remove certain things from your possession.

People have been asked to change their shirts before getting on planes for wearing T-shirts that say F**K you. I know this may come as a shock to some but there still is some etiquette when it comes to traveling. You are locked in enclosed space with people it’s simply respectful to dress tastefully and act in a respectful manner. His T-shirt sent a disturbing message to the passengers. jetBlue and the TSA did the right thing in this case.

He went through screening and had no weapons so let the damn guy fly. So who cares if his shirt made some pax nervousor drew suspicion?
    They did let him fly. They could've held him as long as they wanted and he would've missed his flight or worse, but all they did was make him cover up his shirt.

"Who cares if his shirt made some passengers nervous?" Are you kidding? An airport/airplane is not exactly the most appropriate place to take the "get a grip" attitude with people. If something draws suspicion, there's usually a valid reason. Better to be safe than sorry, in my opinion.

Let alone the points I've already beat to death about how this guy was obviously desperate to create controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by t-bird
    An airport is no place to display your political beliefs.
    So freedom of speech stops when you enter an airport?

People have been asked to change their shirts before getting on planes for wearing T-shirts that say F**K you
    This has nothing to do with this discussion, totally different situation.

His T-shirt sent a disturbing message to the passengers

Say's who? Just because some people find it to be doesn't make it so. If you are going to profile you have to still keep somewhat of an open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mellyrose
    If something draws suspicion, there's usually a valid reason
    No Melanie, that is not the case, this "better safe than sorry" attitude has gotten to the point where people rights are being trampled. Big time.

Quote Originally Posted by mellyrose
    Let alone the points I've already beat to death about how this guy was obviously desperate to create controversy.
    Your points don't show that at all, this guy just wanted to fly home, not create anything.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Correct, Nick, you do not have the full flexibility of your rights beyond security checkpoints at the airport.

His rights were not trampled. Being detained against your will with no charge and not getting your phone call is having your rights being trampled. Not a discussion and the changing of a t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by phil d
    His rights were not trampled. Being detained against your will with no charge and not getting your phone call is having your rights being trampled
    Your right, but making him change or cover up his shirt was trampling his rights. Clearly.

He may not have had a weapon upon clearing security but I can tell you that to aquire one once inside the sterile area is not a challenge if you have a ramp rat on the ramp. There are many airports including most major ones where the rampers do not have to clear TSA to get out the the sterile area and who is to say that they did not plant somthing but wither way I think this guy was an idiot and what he got he got I do not feel bad for him nor do I care about his shirt though. He knew it was going to create issues. That is like me dressing up as an Arab Sheik and going to work. Not good common sense, would it be illegal? No certainly not but would it be smart? No.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"